First archery deer

Started by Mike Orwan, October 15, 2004, 08:17:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Orwan

Good day all,

Would like to report taking my first ever archery deer. Nothing special really but wacked a nice doe at 33 yards. She was moving, not fast but moving and the shot was a bit far back but not in the guts. We let her go for well over 2 hours than tracked her down. She was laying in a laurel patch about 250-300 yards from where I shot her.
Was pleased and will be heading back to camp in about a week, still got 2 tags to fill.

Regards, Mike in PA.
Mike in PA
Romans 8:26

Vermonster

Big CONGRATS Mike!!!!!!!;)

Take any photos????

Glad you got some meat in the freezer!!!!!!:cool:

12 gauge

Yes congrats!

"every animal is a trophy when the aim is meat in the freezer"

my favorite quote ;)

Hope to see your picture!

God bless :D

PS: Keep faith, you will get more! :)
"I only hunt and fish on days that end in \'Y\'"- 12 gauge

Mike Orwan

Thanks for the kind words guys!

I intended to start archery huntin' in 2002 but poor health caused by a severe back injury and corresponding surgery had me layed up for a long time. Matter of fact I now have a lifetime permit to use a crossbow here in PA due to these problems.
My brother has been an archery hunter for many years with lots of success and really is the one who pushed and prodded me into this. I'm a die hard rifle shooter with years of competitive experiance so this is truly a different mindset for me. But thus far it has been truly fun and I look forward to continuing to hunt this way for a long time.

I think the biggest change for me is swatting misquitos instead of shivering in the cold!!!
:p

On another note been using the Wildlife Research scent blocking/controlling products and now believe they do work well. The deer I shot came in behind me from downwind and a bit uphill. She didn't wind me until she was almost under the stand. Heck I thought she was another squirel behind me until I heard the hooves on some rocks. My movement to turn 180 spooked her a bit hence the 30 yard shot and not a 10 yarder.
Mike in PA

Jay Edward (deceased)

Good to have you out in the woods and the fields.  Congratulations on your deer.

Skip

Congrats!!

Mike, what kind of bow are you using? I too have a permit for a crossbow but haven't pursued it. Hoping to get the use of my arm and shoulder back enough to use my Browning compound again.

RatherBHuntin

Congratulations, I am still trying for mine, and am duly impressed by the skill and patience it takes to get a deer with a bow from a ground blind.
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

Mike Orwan

Skip,
I'm using a Browning Boss w/150 lb draw. It's very similar to one of Ten Points current models I recently saw pictured somewhere. Bolts are Easton 2219 with Magnus 100 grain fixed, two blade broadheads. Though I now have some of the Magnus Stingers with four blades, also 100 grain, that I'll try out assuming another shot presents itself.
Mike in PA

TeamIslandwide

Great job buddy. Hope your success continues.

Tags: