Pictures from on high

Started by Hunterbug, February 27, 2005, 10:29:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hunterbug

Here are some pictures I took a few weeks ago while hunting snowshoe hares. These are from Guanella Pass South of Georgetown Colorado. The elevation is any where from 9,000 to 13,000 feet. If you got off the trail or road the snow was around 3 feet deep in most places. A snowshoer got lost up there the following weekend and they found him alive 2 days later.

Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

Gmoney

Wow...nice pics Hbug....need a hunting buddy?
-Greg

Personal field testing trumps everything no matter what Field and Stream says, what your degree of perceived manhood is, or what your buddies think.

Hunterbug

Where do you live? I'm always open to hunting with new people. Especially thoes that I meet on this forum.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

Niccolo Machiavelli

Gmoney

-Greg

Personal field testing trumps everything no matter what Field and Stream says, what your degree of perceived manhood is, or what your buddies think.

Gmoney

I go to Colorado all the time .....usually every summer to go up in the middle of nowhere in the mountains and trout fish....last summer went in the Pagosa Springs area....this summer we're thinking about fishing in the Gunnison again....we had great luck there with spinners three summers ago....
-Greg

Antler3

Nice pictures ...thanks for sharing them ! God's country is sure beautiful :).
ANTLER 3

Bones

I spent last week up in the mountains of Utah, which looks a lot like the pictures you posted.  We were snow skiing, however, and not hunting. It was beautiful country for sure and quite a departure from the scenery (or lack of it) we have here in Mississippi.

Gmoney

Bones, what part of Utah were you in? Last spring break I was near Layton.....skiing...well trying to.....and we found a reservoir that had started to thaw so I was able to fish.....Utah is absolutlyl gorgous....
-Greg

BRYAN

Hi Hunterbug,

Now that is real hunting country, pictures are great, do you shoot with 12 bore or rifle, we have a lot of hares here in Gt Britain, mainly in Scotland were they drive them toward guns with 12 bores.

Pleased you took the pictures, as they say they are worth a thousand words.

Thanks for sharing them with the THL members.

Best Regards,

Bryan.

Brithunter

Hi Hunterbug,

Thank you indeed:D  that is really beautiful scenery!!!!! I will defintely need to work on my fitness before I come to Colorado, just thinking about walking up thsoe slopes makes me breathless:rolleyes:  but that's what you get for standing at a CNC machine all day I suppose.:(  Oh then sitting at the computer on the forums at night:rolleyes: :p

I see you have the Mohawk version of the Nylon 66, I used to have one but it was in poor condition so after a couple of years I sold it on. Don't have a semi-auto .22 R/F now all bolts or Martini's. Shame about your small game seasons, as Bryan can tell you in England there is no Close season on Hares and none on Rabbits either. I have soem photos of Brown Hares taken from the high seat in Gayhurst Wood where we used to hunt Muntjac. In fact one day whilst standing at the junction of tracks, three Hares nearly ran into the gamekeeper and I whilst were were chatting. As we watched them come closer we stopped talking and just watched them playing tag wiht one another, if Cliff had not spoken aloud we are sure they would have actually ran into us. Sorry to say Leisure developers brought the wood from the forrestry people and split it up in the Leisure plots. I doubt the Hare will stay now like they used to:(
Go Get them Floyd!

Bones

Gmoney, we stayed in downtown Salt Lake City. From there you can make it to several ski resorts within 45 minutes. We visited a few, but skied exclusively at Park City, which was only about 30 minutes away. We had a really great time and hope to make it an annual event. It was my son's first time to ski as well as mine and that made it even more special. What impressed me as much as anything about Utah (besides the scenery) was how nice the people were.

Gmoney

We went to Park City while we were as welll....now you talk about a tourist trap...lol.....we skiied at Powder Mountain....or like I said tried to......Utah does have very nice people....
-Greg

Hunterbug

Gmoney, if you ever get out here in the winter let me know and we'll take a day and hunt bunnies.

Brithunter, I paid 20 bucks for my Nylon 66, 26 for the scope mounts and someone gave me the scope. I also have a really nice Winchester 67 that I will have ready before next season. As for having a rabbit season I think that it's kind of important. If there was no closed season on the rabbits then when would I find time to fish? ;) We don't have seasons on coyotes but I won't hunt them from March untill September when their pups are old enough to go on their own.

Bryan, I use a 22 rifle for rabbits. I have a 30 pound recurve bow that I hope to get good enough with by next season to take a rabbit with. I also want to get some grouse with it. Here's a picture of me with my 22 and the hare that I got.

Niccolo Machiavelli

gitano

Great pics HB. Keep 'em coming.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Tags: