European Cartridge Series - 9x57 Mauser

Started by Jay Edward (deceased), February 27, 2005, 04:36:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jay Edward (deceased)

Since I've had a an ongoing love affair with this caliber (whether in inches or metric) for many, many years...I can say that I  agree, somewhat, with assessment of it's abilities by the author.

I feel that this caliber at moderate to moderate plus velocities comes as close to any as 'an all around cartridge'. Jacketed for the larger game and cast lead for lesser game.

Since Bell was so successful with 7mm and 'solids', I cannot help but think that this would work just as well even in Africa...excepting dangerous game. I would value the opinion of those who have hunted plains game in Africa with regard to this cartridge.

mudturtle

Do you have information on the 8.68s caliber Jay?   Thanks.

andy

marcgu

I Have Being Playing With The 9x57 Mauser Since 2001, If Anyone Has Any Problem With One ,let Me Know I Will Post Informations That I Have In My Log That Are Needed.

Nelsdou

Any idea what the recommended barrel twist is for the 9x57?

Nels
Put it into perspective; we live on a rock hurtling through space, what could be scarier than that?

LLANOJOHN (deceased)

Brother Jay,

Since Paul and I developed the 338x57 MAI, I have been seriously pondering the 9x57 and its big brother, the 9x62.  I have a Rem 721 in .270 that I might possibly send to Dan Pederson for a rebore to the 9x62 and have a VZ-24 in 8x57 that I might also get rebored to a 9x57.........have no earthly need for either cartridge, but since when does "need" have any thing to do with how the world turns!!!!:p   I just "want" one of each.......but as you have reminded us before..."my pocket book determines everything...":frown :frown :frown

I am still at play in the fields of the bewildered!!!!!:D :D

Ol' John;) :cool:
Life Member-NRA-TSRA
Riflesmith-Bolt & Lever Centerfires Only
Left-Hand Creek Rifles
Mark Twain was right-"There is no such thing as too much good whiskey!"
My best advice.."Best to stay outta trees and offa windmills!"

marcgu

Quote from: NelsdouAny idea what the recommended barrel twist is for the 9x57?

Nels
i have found that there are two barrel twist in the 9x57 mauser. these are made in germany, in sporting rifles.
the first has 1 in 11 3/4 similar to the 8mm j wich is .318. and shoots better with bullets of 250 grains and over. and bullet size is .356
the second has 1 in 12'', the bullet size is only .352 and i think it's the best. it is much more accurate with lighter bullets.

Nelsdou

Thanks marcgu.  

The std 7.92 military barrels run a bit over 9 and I've seen 35 caliber barrels in 16, so I wondered if the 9x57 was somewhere in between.

Jay's posting shows data for a 245 grain lead bullet @1950 fps, so I was curious if the barrel twist was cast "friendly".  My experimentation with cast in a .329 barrel and 9.25 twist is giving me some, uh, erratic  results, so I'm pondering the aspects of barrel twist.

Nels
Put it into perspective; we live on a rock hurtling through space, what could be scarier than that?

Padre58

My wifes grandmother gave me a Haenel Mauser in beautiful condition about 8 years ago.  I was really frustrated that I didn't know where to get ammo and wasn't sure what caliber it was.  It has 8.7m stamped on the barrel.  It sat in my gun safe for a few years and I pulled it out.  I took out my calibers and measure it and concluded it was close to a 358.  I checked to see if I could get a 7mm sleeve put in and was told I would have to put a new barrel which meant new stock about $4,000.  Finally I googled for a few hours and found out what I had.  I look forward to finding some ammo and eventually some dies and reloading instructions and materials.  Where did you find the reference that you posted?  Any advice would be appreciated.

Quote from: Jay Edward;14887Since I've had a an ongoing love affair with this caliber (whether in inches or metric) for many, many years...I can say that I agree, somewhat, with assessment of it's abilities by the author.

I feel that this caliber at moderate to moderate plus velocities comes as close to any as 'an all around cartridge'. Jacketed for the larger game and cast lead for lesser game.

Since Bell was so successful with 7mm and 'solids', I cannot help but think that this would work just as well even in Africa...excepting dangerous game. I would value the opinion of those who have hunted plains game in Africa with regard to this cartridge.

Brithunter

Hi All,

One thing to remember is that there is also a 9x56 Mannlicher cartridge and it's slightly different in loadings to the 9x57 Mauser and Mauser warned against using 9x57 in 9x56 chambers. The 9x56 was offered in the Model 1908 Schoenauer.

Wolfe publishing does a book called :-

Big Bore Rifles and Cartridges

The 9x57 is in it and Ken waters did a Pet Load article if memory serves ne correctly on the 9x56.

Now in the Collector grade Publications book:-

"Original Obendorf Sporting rifles"

There is a table that is a scan of an orginal Mauser works document that gives the bore dimensions of Mauser Barrels. Of course it's in German which I don't read but I will try and decipher what the bore and groove size is and twist rate. It's an excellent book but spendy :shy: .

As to factory ammunition :eek: not sure who if anyone loads it commercially now although Kynamaco might but they are Expensive :stare: , what about Old Western Scrounger? Is Dangerous Dave even still going?
Go Get them Floyd!

Hunterbug

You might also look at www.buffaloarms.com  They have all kinds of obscure ammo.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

Padre58

I called superiorammo.com and they had no way of verifying headspace.  Buffalo Arms was great and they are sending me a material to make a mold of the chamber to confirm caliber and headspace.  Getting closer to getting this fine rifle back in the hunt.  Thanks much.

gitano

Casting the chamber is the "right" thing to do. That should resolve any uncertainty about what cartridge your rifle is chambered for. As for headspace... Be advised, "There be demons there." There are an ARMLOAD of "experts" that will swear that civilizaton as we know it will end if you shoot a rifle whose "headspace" is .001" out on a + or - 0.006" spec, and in the same breath say nothing of fire-firming a case whose shoulder, (the headspacing datum on a rimless or beltless cartridge) is being blown forward 0.150" or more!

My point is, find out what cartridge you have first. Then worry about the headspace if you feel you really have to. I've attached an image of one of the worst, boneheaded mistakes I've ever made at the shooting bench: A .338 Mauser Ackley Improved case (an 8x57 necked up to .338), fired in a .338 Win Mag chamber. You could hardly get worse "headspace". The results are ugly, but the there was

ABSOLUTELY,

NO HARM,

TO ME,

OR THE RIFLE.

And it wasn't because I was "lucky"... It's because it isn't dangerous.

To a very large degree, "headspace" is a boogyman "experts" like to pull out to show their "expertness". About the worst that you get with bad headspace specs is poor life for your brass, (very few reloadings due to case head separation), and even that can be mitigated with proper die setup. Don't get me wrong (or misquote me!)... Excessive headspace is not "good", but it is FAR, FAR, - VERY FAR - from dangerous.

Oh, and by the way... you won't be able to get headspace measurements from a casting unless you make the cast with the bolt inserted and closed - and you can't do that and get the casting out.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

windy

Here's an odd one--I picked up a box with a few old W.R.A. factory "9mm" loads, probably from the '20's; 280-gr jacketed rnsp's (shot a few--worked fine) and lo & behold, the box sez "for mauser or mannlicher rifles".  Just looking at the specs for 9x56MS dimensions, I wonder if Winchester wuz makin' a "one size fits all" round--it wouldn't surprise me much to hear that these'd fit a 1905 Mannlicher-Schoenauer.  Think I'll get the calipers out 'n do some investigatin' here;  will report back if I larn anything.  My 9x57 seems to work well with Ackley's old load: 44 gr. of 4064, 250 gr. .358 hornady bullet.  I slugged and miked the bore at .358, and when I shot a factory Kynoch round the case let a .358 fall thru the neck real easy, so I've got throat clearance.  Haven't chronographed the load yet, but I'm guessing about 2250 ft./sec.  I neck-sized/expanded some new 8x57 brass with a .358 neck sizer and it works just like it's supposed to, so I guess ther'll be no trouble gittin' ammo fer this little "guild" 98.  Shoots nice, recoil is mild; think she's a keeper.  Glad thar's a few 9x57 fans out there somewheres!

Tags: