Correct Ammo for 410

Started by cgphunter, October 14, 2004, 09:35:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cgphunter

I am planning to go squirrel hunting this weekend, and usually I would use a 12 gauge, but I want to try out my fathers old 410. I don't even know the make/model except that he has had it since he was a teen. I might have shot it when I was little, but since we didn't hunt, there really was no point.

The question: What is the correct load/type/brand of shells to buy for squirrel hunting with a 410?

Thanks,
Chris
It is better to deserve honors and not have them than to have them and not deserve them.
- Mark Twain

Any relation to the land, the habit of tilling it, or mining it, or even hunting on it, generates the feeling of patriotism.
- Ralph W. Emerson

rockinbbar

CGP,

You might find some 2 1/2" #6's at Walmart. That's where I get mine. They worked well on dove that were coming in high & fast last weekend. Should work for squirrels too.

Rockin'
Remind yourself often to SEE not just "look".

Gmoney

#6's work well but I might even go with larger shot than that...I just don't like eating squirrel with pellets in it...just make sure you head shoot them if possible... G
-Greg

Personal field testing trumps everything no matter what Field and Stream says, what your degree of perceived manhood is, or what your buddies think.

cgphunter

Thanks, I'll see what I can find.

Chris
It is better to deserve honors and not have them than to have them and not deserve them.
- Mark Twain

Any relation to the land, the habit of tilling it, or mining it, or even hunting on it, generates the feeling of patriotism.
- Ralph W. Emerson

drinksgin (deceased)

Chris;
First, what is the chamber length?
I have been using 3" with #6 for squirrel and rabbit and #7 1/2 and 8 for dove and quail since 1946 when I got my Western Field .410 action size sxs, still have it and it still does fine up to 25-30yd.
Don
NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, GOA, CCRKBA, DEF -CON

cgphunter

Well,

It's an old Mossburg 410 bolt action internal mag, with 3" chamber and holds 3 shells. I got #6 3" and #6 2.5" shells, and both did well this weekend. I killed 12 and I'll post the pics when I get them developed. I sure had a good time. Thanks for all the advice guys.

Chris
- Mark Twain

- Ralph W. Emerson

Tags: