Australian Deer - Hog deer

Started by Shotgunhemi, February 25, 2005, 02:45:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shotgunhemi

The Hog Deer [/u]Axis porcinus

Terminology: Male - Stag

Female – Hind

Young - Calf

[/u]Hog deer are the smallest of our deer species down here in Australia. They were first released into the wild, in 1865, in various locations around Victoria. They have found their place around the coastal regions of South and East Gippsland. As far as we know, the establishment of hog deer has not harmed our natural environment.

'Hoggies' are a native of Asia but their future outside of Australia remains uncertain. A population of only a few hundred exists in Sri Lanka, whereas in Thailand they are severely endangered.

In order to survive, they need areas of dense cover close to freshwater swamps, river flats, lake margins or marshes, where they obtain most of their food. They are mainly grazing animals, feeding on the various grasses and sedges found around wetlands. It is quite common for them to be seen in small groups in their main feeding spots early in the morning or later during dusk. During winter and also in bad weather, Hog deer are rarely seen, choosing to remain hidden in heavy cover close to feeding areas.

Whoops, I better describe what they look like. A mature hog deer stag will stand about 70 cm at the shoulder, sorry I don't know what it is in inches. A prime condition stag will weigh between the vicinity of 45 kg to about 55kg, again I'm sorry I don't know what it is in pounds, you must remember that we are upside down here in Australia and we drive on the wrong side of the road! Anyway, the hinds (females) are smaller, measuring about 60cm at the shoulder and weighing around 30 to 35 kg which would make them quite easy for carrying out after a hunt I imagine.

'Hoggies' have a uniform brown colored coat in the winter months, which changes to a reddish-brown tinge during summer, at which time a line of light colored spots or blotches can be seen on each side of the upper back. The older stags become quite grey in the face. The tail is short and brown like the rest of the deer, but underneath it is white and when raised in alarm the white hairs are flared out in a distinctive display. They also stamp their front feet and bark when alarmed.

The antlers are normally six tined (pointed), with a brow and two top tines on each side. It's not a rarity for extra points to be grown and in some cases one or both antlers may have developed a palmated beam, like a fallow deer's antlers (I will be putting up a fallow deer post soon). A trophy hog deer stag will have antlers 30 to 40cm long, but most hunters consider any six point stag a trophy.

The biggest problem with hog deer is finding a place to hunt the little buggers. Their current range is very limited, to both private and public land. Access to private property is jealously guarded by the land owners, unless a considerable amount of money is waved under the farmers nose. Public land that can be legally hunted is also extremely limited. The most popular avenue is using a ballot system, or buying into a program of guided hunts. I haven't hunted 'hoggies' myself, and doubt I ever will. I say this because the list for the balloted hunting opportunity is long enough to go around the world three times, and have been told by many that if I put my name on the list, I may be able to hunt them when I'm about 40! I would rather spend my hunts (free of charge) going after the elusive Sambar which I will be posting about in the future.

The minimum legal caliber for hunting hog deer is .243 Winchester with a 100 grain pill.

Feel free to post any experiences you have had (if any) with hog deer.

These pictures were the best I could find. This is the front of the 'Para Park Co-operative Game reserve Limited' brochure. These are 3 magnificent hog deer stags.
Chris

SSAA DEERSTALKERS CLUB

Kanibal

What are the rules about non resident hunters in Austrailia? Everybody talks about Africa but Austrailia is the continent that has always interested me greatly. Ever since I first saw crocodile dundee back in the early 80's. Id love to go fishing and hunting in Aussie if I could. Gooday Mate
-Richard

Shotgunhemi

G'day Richard. Croc dundee, really good movies lol. Im not completely sure about the laws but ill tell you what i know. In order to fish over here you need a fishing permit. How bad is that! They made this new law about 3 years ago and it really sucks. If you would like to hunt here, with a firearm, you must have a shooters licence but i dont know what the situation is with non resident hunters. The rifle will have to be either a bolt, lever, single shot or pump-action. No semi autos or pump shotties allowed down here, which also sucks. You must also purchase a game licence which i had to do. If you would like more specific details i could make some enquiries for you mate.
Chris

SSAA DEERSTALKERS CLUB

Brithunter

Hi All,

Correct me if I am wrong.............. but these Hog Deer seem to be rather closely related to Muntjac Deer the heads look rather similar and they also have that Pedicle on the brow. I could not see from the pictures but do Hog Deer also have canines? I ask because the Muntjac deer do. The Muntjac of course comes from a similar atear and is actually quite primative, I wonder if the Hog Deer is?

Oh the pictures were fine:D  I personally enjoyed looking at them and will return just to look again no doubt:rolleyes: . Thank you for the post!:D
Go Get them Floyd!

drinksgin (deceased)

Chris;
Just remember, 10cm is 4" and 10K is 22 pounds, no pence.
Actually not exact, but close enough for country work.
Yes, we all know you down there are stressed, even your former minister of immigration made the statement "The new chums are just going to have to learn to speak Australian", this was in the '50's and was in the papers in the US.
Some of the people I knew who had served in OZ during the umpleasanance II, already knew You did not speak English, just did not expect the government to admit it.
Don   :D
NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, GOA, CCRKBA, DEF -CON

Springbuck

Thanks for a great input.  We will have to change this forum to Hunting (excluding the States) soon.  I have seen in my travels some wonderful hunting opportunities in Scotland, Spain and in the Middle East.  In Africa, we tend to assume it is the pristine hunting destination, and although our species diversity does provide plenty of opportunities, other destinations do hold some promise.

Springbuck

Shotgunhemi

Sorry about the late reply guys. Brithunter, to be honest I really don't know mate. The only deer I really know about are the 6 species we have here in Australia. Guess I better expand my horizons and do some research into other game species. I'm glad you enjoyed my post and look out for a few more in the future.

Drinksgin, thanks for the technical translations and enlightening me on a funny point in Australian history.:D  

Yeah there are some wonderful hunting opportunities out there Springbuck, but for a young bloke like me that wants to study next year they will have to wait for a bit:mad:  I would love to hunt over there in Africa though.
Chris

SSAA DEERSTALKERS CLUB

kombi1976

In answer to Kanibal's wish to hunt in Australia, there are 2 permits available for foreign nationals wishing to shoot.

The first is for competition target, trap and skeet shooting and can be applied for through the Australian government when applying for a visa. I'm not sure how strict the requirements are on that one.

The second is a safari hunting permit where the hunter must travel with a licenced safari operator/guide & like the competition permit is applied for when the visa application is submitted. Apart from this any other hunting illegal. I found this out when inquiring about having a Canadian buddy come hunting with me on a friend's property.

I live in NSW, not in Victoria like Shotgunhemi, but the same game licence applies as do fishing licences on inland waterways. Having said this, when on a hunting safari, be it deer, pigs, buffalo or other game, the operator's bill covers the needed licences.
Cheers & God Bless
22lr ~ 22 Hornet ~ 25-20 ~ 303/25 ~ 7mm-08 ~ 303 British ~ 310 Cadet ~ 9.3x62 ~ 450/400 N.E. 3"

Shotgunhemi

Thanks for clearing that up Kombi:)
Chris

SSAA DEERSTALKERS CLUB

Tags: