.22-250 Ackley Improved: Any significant advantages?

Started by periscope_depth, February 24, 2005, 05:50:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

periscope_depth

The coolest thing about a Thompson/Encore is that you can interchange new barrels without having to get a new rifle.

Nevermind the fact that barrels cost $250 to start.  Oh well.

I have a 22-250 IMP barrel, the standard 40degree shoulder and have not really worked up hotter than standard loads.  Unfortunately, I don't have a reloading manual with proven loads for the improved version and so am a bit reluctant to venture much over the hottest 22-250 load as listed in the book.

The biggest advantage as I can tell is longer case life as the brass won't stretch as much.

If anyone has any first hand knowledge of the 22-250 IMP or knows anyone who has had experience with one....I sure would like to get your input.

I should think it wouldn't be safe to substitute 220 Swift data and use those numbers to reload 22-250 IMP cases as both cartridges use different brass...but the performance of each round is pretty similiar as much as Barnes Cartridges of the World has suggested.

Thanks for your input in advance.

LLANOJOHN (deceased)

p d,

At this point in your shooting/handloading adventure I believe you are about ready to obtain a chronograph.  Do a google search for "Chrony".  Their F-1 is a very good chronograph and portable.
I will see if I can locate some good 22-250 AI data but without the chronograph to determine excactly what velocities you are getting its like trying to find the proverbial "needle in the haystack" at night.

Might want to give some thoughts along those lines.  Its pure enjoyment watching the #'s come up after each shot.

Ol' John
Life Member-NRA-TSRA
Riflesmith-Bolt & Lever Centerfires Only
Left-Hand Creek Rifles
Mark Twain was right-"There is no such thing as too much good whiskey!"
My best advice.."Best to stay outta trees and offa windmills!"

gonedawgn

This is an older thread and I'm new here, but here goes.  Sierra Manual has 22-250 AI load data.  I just had a very accurate 22-250 rechambered to an AI when the throat got way too long.  I've reloaded based on the above book and though using a moderate load I am pushing a 50 gn bullet faster than the old chamber pushed a 40 gn bullet, 4029' per sec. Accuracy improved as amt of powder increased, but this is plenty fast enough and I found a wide node that shoots very accurately.  If you want more specific info email me.

Rick

LLANOJOHN (deceased)

gonedawgn,

Welcome to THL forum.  Thanks for your input on the 22-250 AI.  Always nice to get the "straight-skinny" from someone who actually shoots/reloads for the cartridge.

Hope you will spend time with us as often as you can & post when you feel like it.

Ol' John...:cool:
Life Member-NRA-TSRA
Riflesmith-Bolt & Lever Centerfires Only
Left-Hand Creek Rifles
Mark Twain was right-"There is no such thing as too much good whiskey!"
My best advice.."Best to stay outta trees and offa windmills!"

beretta96

I had a 22-250AI for a short time. It was an H-S varmint model. I got rid of it when I realized I couldn't touch the lands with a 55gr sierra seated all the way out. But I did load some ammo for it. Both nosler & sierra list loads for it. I suuggest using a neck sizer only instead of full length. I used a hornady neck sizer that worked very well. I don't remember the exact load I used but it would still print around an inch at a hundred. hope this helps

gonedawgn

Sounds like this one but the chamber and throat are correct.  50 vmax are just off the lands and look like ICBM's.  Neat round

gonedawgn

Berreta96

Still have that neck sizer? Be willing to sell it?  I've ordered a set of Wilson's but they are on a 30 day back order then they have to go back to Wilson to be fitted to my cartridge so I'm full lenght resizing on Lee dies that I bought to bump the shoulder every 10 or so reloadings. If so email me at

gonedawgnAToutdrs.net  change AT to @

Thanks

Rick

Tags: