.32 cal Kentucky or Tennessee rifle

Started by swatts, February 23, 2005, 11:43:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

swatts

I have been shooting an Encore, but recently came upon two .50 cal TC Hawkens from a man that was trying to sell them and apparently didn't know what he had.  They were in great condition and were sold very cheaply.  No they are not stolen, he got them from an uncle that had them for several years and purchased them new.  I got hooked on the things and wanted to acquire several more different models.  
Looking to get a .32 cal Kentucky or Tennessee rifle to start with.  Anyone with any experience with these, pro or con, and any sources for purchase.

Swatts

Jay Edward (deceased)

Quote from: swattsLooking to get a .32 cal Kentucky or Tennessee rifle to start with. Anyone with any experience with these, pro or con, and any sources for purchase.
[/color][/size]

I do own and shoot a .32 caliber 'Poor Boy' swatts.  I'm not sure what you mean by 'pro or con'.  It definitely is a small game caliber as the ball is near .30 caliber which is large for centerfire but a tiny little pea in roundball.

Track Of The Wolf and Dixie Gun Works are good places to start.  There are other suppliers, both commercial and custom, and it can get quite pricey.  Since I absolutely don't work with or have any knowledge of 'inline blackpowder using rifles'...I cannot help in that department.

My only experience with T/C (personally) occurred many years ago.  I bought various parts from one of the muzzle loading supply houses, purchased a custom barrel and cherry stock from Sharon, Inc. and put it together.  I finished the stock with several handrubbed coats of Tung Oil and it was beautiful...but it was just a really pretty T/C.  (Now days, I only handle the T/C as supplied by Fish & Game for Hunter Education.)

So, being a custom high power rifle builder, I bought some authentic parts from Cherry Corners and built the real thing.  I got tired of building authentic Hawkens and branched into other styles.

My latest foray is into smoothbores...not necessarily shotguns...but, rather, trade guns of the early fur trade period...say, 1500 to 1800 AD.

Smokepole

Swatts
I own a T/C Cherokee in .32 cal. It is a fine shooter for tree rats, whistle pigs, and bunnies. There is only one (1) draw back to this little shooter, it fouls very easily. With the small bore you have to work a little harder to keep it clean. Not much room in there. So shooting at the range requires lots of cleaning time. But, I would not sell or trade this shooter for any other one.

You can buy a sack of buckshot lots cheaper than the packaged balls on the market. I use only 20 grains of Goex FFF, patch and ball.

Dixie Gun works, Traditions and Cabela's (read good reports one theirs) sell complete .32's. Track of the Wolf can supply you with a kit.

Sincerely

Smokepole
Smokepole

swatts

I finally got one, it is a traditions .32 crocket.  It is a blast to shoot.  Twenty grains fo 777, 3F and a .315 round ball and patch are easy and cheap.  At 25 yards a squirrel head size circle is easy to put each shot in.  Shot a few old dead trees at further distances with varied results.
I think that this summer will be a great time to do a lot of shooting with it.

Swatts

quigleysharps4570

Congrats on that new rifle. Will be looking forward to some small game reports.

Oldtimer

Quigley,

Did you ever get time to test the patch lube I told you about  I'm still using it and it is still working well .  I had a 25 cal recut to 36 cal , a 36 recut to 40 and a 62 cal sleved and rifled to 62.  They have been back about 3 weeks now. The 36 shoots great, lots of fun.  The 62 is going Bear hunting this winter in NC.  
Hope to hear from you.
Legends die when dreams end
When dreams end there is no more greatness.

Oldtimer

quigleysharps4570

If you're talking about the D&L...yes I did. Worked like a champ. Been meaning to get out here lately...had to order a new ramrod. Want to see how the D&L does with the Graf blackpowder. Was using Crisco last time out...have the D&L back in my bag now.

Oldtimer

Quiqley,

Never tried it with anything but Black Bowder, hope it works.  It does work in every black powder rifle I have though.  Hope your weather is better than here, temp's have been 95 to 97 with Heat index of 104 to 108. This is just June, I may move out with you in August.

Take care
Legends die when dreams end
When dreams end there is no more greatness.

Oldtimer

quigleysharps4570

Black is all I ever use too. You don't want to move here in August...hotter than Hades here in this flatland. :)  With this rain we been getting as of late...can't even get down on the river where I generally shoot.

Tags: