The Venerable Browning Single Shot

Started by Jay Edward (deceased), October 14, 2004, 05:45:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jay Edward (deceased)

The lineage of this rifle is just too good.  The fact that it has constantly been in demand since 1885 only furthers it's reputation.  Designed by John Browning it rivaled the Sharps for desireability.  This is a great looking rifle but in it's vintage dress it was just down right lovely!

English

It sure is purdee, Jay.  I'd love to have one in say .260 Rem for a deer rifle.  Then I'd like something with the same lines but scaled down in .22 lr.

Mike
BAD RIVER FIEST

gitano

One of my faves too. My preference would be for chamberings in .44-40 and .45 Colt. One in .405 Win would be nice too.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

rockinbbar

Gitano,

I've seen alot about the .405 Win caliber you mentioned. Help me here,..........

If I'm not mistaken Winchester Arms is producing the 1895 lever action in that caliber now.
My question is....I've also learned the caliber has no ammo production by Winchester. Where would you get the fodder?
I know handloading is an option, but where would the brass come from?

Rockinbbar
Remind yourself often to SEE not just "look".

OregonBoy

rockinbbar,

AFAIK, Hornady is currently loading the 405 WCF. I've seen the 300gr flat-point load at my local gun shop, and I think there is also a 300gr pointed-soft-point load. I think MidwayUSA carries 'em. Hope this helps.

Hunterbug

A friend of mine has one of these in 25-06 that he uses for antelope. His has an octagional Douglas barrel and a beautifuly engraved action. Now everyone go grab a tissue because I'm going to make you cry. He paid 325 bucks for it. He bought it from the same woman that I bought my 257 AI from. If I'd had about 1500 bucks I would have bought several of the rifles that she sold. I would love to have one of these for a deer rifle but that go for about a grand at the gun shows. I think that I'd like mine in 30-06 though, just for gitano. :p
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

rockinbbar

OB,
Thanks for the info. I wondered why Winchester was making a rifle they did not make ammo to shoot through it....LOL.

Rockinbbar
Remind yourself often to SEE not just "look".

drinksgin (deceased)

Quote from: gitanoOne of my faves too. My preference would be for chamberings in .44-40 and .45 Colt. One in .405 Win would be nice too.

Paul
You are a gunaholic!
Don
NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, GOA, CCRKBA, DEF -CON

gitano

Guilty as charged!

What a shame to waste such a pretty rifle on an '06 chambering. Tsk, tsk, tsk.:D
Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

deadeye2

Hi Jay,
The new rifle that you are showing is copy of the old Win. low wall, right? If so, it was a  "great action to build on" !  I wish I had the old one that I once owned back!!  

Winchester and Browing are  just about the same company now, owned by a conpany in France?
Be Safe...Have Fun

deadeye2

Tags: