Bison!

Started by gitano, October 07, 2019, 08:32:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gitano

More to follow.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

gitano

Story in a day or two. He was a beaut! Estimated weight - 1500 lb!

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Jamie.270

Wooo-Hooo!

Can't wait for the "Paul Harvey!"
QuoteRestrictive gun laws that leave good people helpless, don\'t have the power to render bad people harmless.

To believe otherwise is folly. --  Me

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Cool! Looking forward to Bison jerky!
Turvey Stalking
Learn from the Limeys or the Canucks, or the Aussies, or the Kiwis, or the...
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

gitano

Quote from: j0e_bl0ggs;154016Cool! Looking forward to Bison jerky!

That's precisely what my grandson said!

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Paul Hoskins

Well, congratulations,  pal. :MOGRIN:   :jumpingsmiley:.....I've been sitting on the edge of my seat leaning forward watching the screen ever since you left for the hunt. Now we all want  to hear the details & see more pictures before I go completely blind. .......Paul H

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

680kg, thought they were much bigger than that. Friends Charolais bullocks were approx 900kg  - 2000lb ish. Then again looking at pics the rear end is not same as domestic beast!
Turvey Stalking
Learn from the Limeys or the Canucks, or the Aussies, or the Kiwis, or the...
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

Paul Hoskins

I have always been very good at judging weight of beef & best I can judge from the pictures, I am inclined to think 1400 to 1600 pounds on the hoof. Since bison have small hind quarters I cannot get a good picture in my mind like domestic beef on the hoof. That's a good beast at any rate. I'm curious about how it would taste if canned. I don't like bison meat any better than domestic beef but all I've ever eaten was farm raised. I think wild bison would be much better. ......Anxious to hear how the 416 performed.   .......Paul H

Hunterbug

WOW! Very nice, Paul. I look forward to the whole story. Now you need to make room for the shoulder mount.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

gitano

Thanks!

No shoulder mount on this one, HB. To me, wall mounts should highlight the individual animal and the variety within the species. It's my opinion that if you've seen one bison mount, you've seen them all. I WILL, however, be getting the hide tanned.

By the way, hung from the front loader, he was 144 inches (12 feet) long from hind hoof to nose.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

gitano

I'm waiting for my son-in-law to come help me get the head and hide out  of my truck. I can't lift the head (still attached to the hide), by  myself! I'm certain that the head and hide weigh no less than 200 lb;  maybe 300.

Attached are two pictures that I am REALLY glad Rick  got! They are actually of my bull when we first saw him! The first was  taken with Rick's telephoto (focal length 300mm I think), and the second  with the "standard" focal length, I think 28 or 35mm. He is 2 miles  away. (We know that, because the field he is at the end of is 2 miles  long, and we were back from "this end" of the field about 100 yd. I spotted him as he emerged from the woods on the right.

I'll start writing the story up this evening.

Paul

PS - For those wondering, I shot him with the .416x.348 Win with the 500-grain Hawk bullets.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

gitano

I will not shoot another bison unless it is in the processor's yard.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Jamie.270

LOL,....

Funniest "stuff" I've read all damned day!
QuoteRestrictive gun laws that leave good people helpless, don\'t have the power to render bad people harmless.

To believe otherwise is folly. --  Me

gitano

Just got the official age of the bull from the Department of Fish and Game biologist: 8.5 years.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

sakorick

OK so here I was. Paul and I worked the Scheme to end all schemes. WOW! what a stalk. We had everything going for us on the last day....it snowed and silenced the foot noise. Paul shot the bruiser with with less than 10 minutes before total darkness. The animal was 12 feet tall from the front hooves to the nose. This was a dream come true and with less than 30 seconds left in the game! Here are some pics with more to come and later.

Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

Tags: