Yello Billed Cuckoo

Started by sakorick, July 27, 2019, 03:48:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sakorick

This bird crashed into Pat and Joyce's window yesterday and broke it's neck These birds are very rare in Missouri and pretty much an endangered species.[ATTACH]15763 Done using the new editing solution....thanks Eric & Paul![/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]15764[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]15765[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]15766[/ATTACH]
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

Paul Hoskins

Rick. I have noticed a decline in yellow billed cuckoos here in the past 30 years or so. Back in the late 1930's into the 1950's they were a common sight. From time to time I see one here but mostly I just hear them if they're close. They're one of the few birds that will eat common catipillars. Many species of useful birds are dwindling and useless species seem to be increasing.   . ........Payl H

gitano

Cuckoos are among my favorite birds, BUT... almost all of them are "brood parasites", meaning that they lay their eggs in other birds' nests, and leave them for the other species to raise. When the chicks hatch, they often push the other chicks out of the nest leaving only the cuckoo for the parents to feed. I don't like parasites, but for some reason I like cuckoos. Cuckoos are also among the few species that are found both in the"new" and "old" worlds.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Tags: