Burris "Tactical" Scopes

Started by Rohann, February 20, 2005, 08:20:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rohann

sakorick

Looks like a machine to me! I like Burris stuff....I wonder what the price tag will be???
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

LLANOJOHN (deceased)

Quote from: sakorickLooks like a machine to me! I like Burris stuff....I wonder what the price tag will be???
$$$$$$$$$$..........and then more $$$$$$$$$$$....hope they will have a 30mm tube!

Probably will be a very good scope system and really like the side mounted P/A knob!

Ol' John...;)
Life Member-NRA-TSRA
Riflesmith-Bolt & Lever Centerfires Only
Left-Hand Creek Rifles
Mark Twain was right-"There is no such thing as too much good whiskey!"
My best advice.."Best to stay outta trees and offa windmills!"

Rohann

Yeah it looks like they'll be good, but at Burris's high price already, I'm having doubts about ever getting the money to buy one.

-Rohann

azhdryder

Burris is the low end line of Baush( spellcheck pls) and Lomb.They are nice scopes, but on the wholesale end, they arent to far away from the Leupold VXIII 3.5x10x40 LR/T as far as price goes. Less than 100 $ US. Ive never seen or sold a Burris so I dont know. When I point out the difference, every one in my group just orders the Leupold and they are all happy as a bug in a beer bottle.
Amatuers talk rifles

Enthusiasts talk ammo

Professonals talk Wind

Rohann

I think I'll just save up and stick with Leupold instead. Can't go wrong there.

-Rohann

azhdryder

Amatuers talk rifles

Enthusiasts talk ammo

Professonals talk Wind

sakorick

Quote from: azhdryderBurris is the low end line of Baush( spellcheck pls) and Lomb.They are nice scopes, but on the wholesale end, they arent to far away from the Leupold VXIII 3.5x10x40 LR/T as far as price goes. Less than 100 $ US. Ive never seen or sold a Burris so I dont know. When I point out the difference, every one in my group just orders the Leupold and they are all happy as a bug in a beer bottle.
Hello azhdryder. Here's what Randy Wakeman, field test guy,  said of the VX III:............
Leupold is a great example of how effective ingenious marketing can be. Persuasive enough that some think they can retrieve their lost rifle from the riverbed after 10 years, and shoot MOA groups immediately. The only scope I have had fully de-gas was a Leupold. The Vari-X III's I have had are not close to being worth the money, in my view.

It appears that the Vari-X II has been given a new life, and a lower price, as the VX I. The friction "non-click" adjustments are a turn-off for me, along with the single coated lenses and three-piece tube design. It is not that Leupold makes garbage, it is merely the extra price you pay for their full-color ads. I wouldn't recommend Leupold unless it satisfies someone's ego.

Perhaps I sound too anti-Leupold? Perhaps. Nobody is making a mistake with a VX-III, and the resale value is exceptional, perhaps better than any other brand. Nobody ever "got fired for buying IBM," nobody is ever completely devastated with a Leupold scope, either.

Leupold's labeling leaves a lot to be desired. For example, we "think" that a Leupold VX-II 2 x 7 x 33 really is a 2-7 power scope. Wrong. The scope is actually a 2.5 x 6.6. We are off by 25% before we start. A VX-II 3 x 9 x 40 ? Actually, it is a 3.3 - 8.6 power. Crank your Leupold 3 x 9 x 40 VX-II to three power; you are off by 10%. Not one of their Vari-X III models offers a full 3:1 zoom range. It makes Leupold scopes no better or worse than they ever have been. But, it opens up a couple of reasonable questions. Why can't they make a 2 x 7, or why did they choose not to? Why don't their 3:1 zoom range scopes offer 3:1 power? Fair questions. I'll bet a nickel that most Leupold owners do not know what their scopes will actually do, or not do. I've owned Leupolds; I always thought the numbers on the power ring meant something. When you turn your power ring to the "2X" setting, why would anyone think that it is really 2.5 power?

.......Go to Gun Tests:  http://www.gun-tests.com/performance/feb97scopes.html

Burris has some quality stuff out there and it looks like there isn't much gap, if any between the brands. I own and like both the Burris and Leupolds. The Burris ballistic plex reticle takes all the guess work out of long range shots....I have one on my primary deer rifle and it really gets the job done. I'm not sure who owns Burris but its not Bausch and Lomb.....they  went out of the scope business...I heard a rumor that Beretta bought them....that might explain why they have farmed their fullfield line to Asia. I noticed the lack of a made in USA lable on my latest fullfield II box. As far as I  know, their Blackdiamond and Signature series are the only scopes still made in the USA......Regards, Rick.

azhdryder

Ok, I guess maybe I wasnt clear enough. Everyone Ive sold Leupolds to has never had a problem. Period. If "Randy Wakeman" had a leopold de-gas than life sucks for him. But in my experience, Leopold will fix anything that goes wrong with any of their scopes. And their customer service shop is not a busy one. Ive called and spoken directly with the techs there, and they always have time to talk to the end user. Tells me something right there. If you dont like the non-click ajustments, ok. Niether do I. I didnt recomend them. The VXIII and the VXIII LR/T are just a little different. The LR/T has a 30mm tube, click adjustments and side focus. The standard VXIII does not.
As far as ingenious marketing goes, heres my experience. I own 3 rifles w/ leupolds on them. I used 3 other rifles while in the Army with leupolds on them as well. 1 M14 w/10x Ultra, 2 M82A1 w/Ultra on each. They were basically abused to almost death, scopes never gave any problems. Rifles did on occasion, but never the glass. My PSS has a MK4M3 on it. It never changes zero, never fogs, never does anything but exactly what its supposed to do. And I am absolutely confident in it. So confident in it in fact I would put it on any rifle I needed to trust my life too. I dont use leupolds because of the warranty, I use them because Ive NEVER had to worry about using the warranty. What matters is at 600 yards, 5 clicks of windage gives me 2 1/2 MOA, today , tomorow and next year. What matters is if Im 100 miles away from a post office, I dont have to say "Ill send it back to get fixed when I get home" because unless I break it, its wont go bad on its own. I dont care if when (if) mine is set at 10X its only 9. whatever. What I care about is the bullet going to go where Im holding the crosshair. Seems like you concentrated on the low end side of leupold in your post, thats fine. To each his own, on the rifles I have to trust I use the high end and its worth every penny to me. The field testers in Guntest mag are almost always biased before they start the test. They are consistantly trying to downtalk the "high end " and convince you a Savage is a Sako. They talk about "best value" but they are also losing touch with reality. Not everyone is looking for "best value" Some of us look for equipment that will not break, fail, hiccup or whatever when it absolutely has to work like the factory says it does. If Gun Test was in charge, all Id own would be Savage rifles and BSA scopes. :mad: Thank god they arent. Best value just means you are making due with less than the optimum as far as Im concerned. Burris makes a fine scope, but Ive never had or sold one through my shop.For the money, go with the Leupolds. Enough of that rant, if you dont like them, dont buy them. Ive had enough real world use, Leupold is all Ill buy.
Amatuers talk rifles

Enthusiasts talk ammo

Professonals talk Wind

LLANOJOHN (deceased)

Gents,

When I first got involved with guns and scopes and such some 45 or so years ago there were only about 4 brands of scopes that were available to me--Bausch & Lomb, Leupold, Weaver and Bushnell--oops I almost forgot Redfield.  The were pretty much the same order as far as cost went also.  I never owned a B & L so I can't comment from personal experience but those that had them, liked them.  In the mid 60's I did purchase a Weaver & a Leupold, both 4X, and I still have both.  Never a problem with either.  Others I purchased used and over the years I have sent back 1 Weaver and 1 Leupold to be set right by the factory.  Both provided great customer service.  This was a number of years ago so what customer service is today I can't personally say.  Redfield was a big name then but they had a real close eye-relief that I didn't care for.

To my knowledge Baush & Lomb and Bushnell combined either thru merger or a buy out I don't know for sure.  I am pretty impressed of their ELITE scopes but have no personal knowledge to discuss their other scopes.  Simmon's AETEC scopes is another I am pretty impressed with for quality & cost.  I have had a few rifles come thru that had Burris scopes and seemed to be well made and adjustments were positive.  I just had one of the new Leupolds, a VX-1, here that I mounted on a Remington BDL in 7mm Mag for a customer.  First 2 shots were touching @ 100 yards about 2" high and 2" right.  They still use the friction adjustment not the clicks but I adjusted 8 left and 4 down and the next shot printed exactly right, 1" high at 100yds.  Impressive to me about both the gun and the scope.

I guess what I am trying to say is that you probably won't go wrong with the purchase of a Burris or a Leupold.  Quality control and customer service from what the posters here have said seems to be right up there.  Leupold has been around a long time and Burris is the newcomer on the block.  Now everyone knows that any thing mechanical can go kaput, sometimes right out of the box for one reason or another.  I hope the next scope you buy isn't one of the exceptions and works as advertised.  Just my observations for what its worth.

Best regards,

Ol' John..:cool:
Life Member-NRA-TSRA
Riflesmith-Bolt & Lever Centerfires Only
Left-Hand Creek Rifles
Mark Twain was right-"There is no such thing as too much good whiskey!"
My best advice.."Best to stay outta trees and offa windmills!"

sakorick

Hey guys, I didn't post anything negative about Leupold or positive about Burris. I am looking for a new scope for my 7mag and posted articles written by others that I have come across during my quest for a new scope. I own 3 Leupold VXII 3x9x50 scopes and they are good scopes. I have had one mounted on my old Sako 243 for a zillion years. Something happened to it last summer cause I started getting a wild one in every 3 or 4 shots. Long story short something failed internally....hey it happens. I sent it back to Leupold and it came back in 14 days with a technical inspector's checklist that basically said the scope was found to be 100% technically correct. I called Leupold and talked to a real nice techie and told him the problem was occurring during shooting and that I had mounted a Burris fullfield II in the same Sako factory mounts that have been on the rifle since 1977 and shot perfect 5 shot groups. I e-mailed pictures of both sets of groups. He had me ship the scope back to Leupold and he personally mounted the scope on their test rifle and lo and behold...there was an internal failure of some kind in the scope. I got the scope back in 2 weeks and put it back on the 243 where it belongs, and fired two 5 shot 1/2 inch groups. You can't ask for better service than that.

After carefully weighing the functionality and features of the Burris euro diamond and the Leupold vx III, I find the Euro diamond 30mm tube 2.5x10x44mm has more features than the VXIII. I would have to jump to the Leupold Premier and the price tag is just way beyond my means. I haven't ordered it yet so if someone thinks I'm making a bad move here, yell at me all you want. Oh, I like the made in USA part too. Regards, Rick.

Rohann

Thanks everyone for their advice.

I think I'm just gonna bite the bullet and save up for a Leupold, expensive as they may be. They seem to be the best choice in terms of reliability and service.

Thanks,
-Rohann

toysareforboys

Rohann

I haven't been on this thread for quite a while.
It seems there is always some guy out there who hates Leupold, Remington etc. and don't want to follow the herd. Now I know people in places like the UK and such don't necessarily have the option to buy such products, as they can be very overpriced and hard to find (why go with Leupold when you can go with Swarovski or Kahles?), but I'm talking about the guys who write negative articles about these products. Now of course they aren't perfect, and it does tick me off that Leupold can't even get their magnification right :rolleyes:, but doing an internet search and talking to people who have plenty of experience with the scope will show that the majority of people who use Leupold's are happy with their warranty, quality and ruggedness. Having used a Mk4 M3 myself, I can safely say it was the nicest, most comfortable scope I have ever used. After shooting a medium range (300-600 yards) competition with an old Weaver 10x (not exactly generous eye relief), the Mk4 amazed me.

-Rohann

Tags: