Drop Plate VS Detach Mag

Started by Kanibal, February 20, 2005, 03:19:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kanibal

Hey all I was wondering what are your thoughts on a drop plate on a centerfire hunting rifle versus a detachable magazine.  I am going to change an ADL into one of the two and need to decide which one.  Qwik Clips makes the DM I will be using and was also wondering what you think of the Qwik Clip installation kit or any first hand experiences with such.  Which one do you like better and what is better for certain types of hunting, ie deer, elk or dangerous game.  Thanks for your time.
-Richard

teddy12b

For what it's worth I only have ne rifle with a removable plate.  I have other rifles with detachable magazines but they are not intended for hunting.  Honestly I don't think you can go wrong here.  If you want to fire a lot of shots as fast as possible than I would suggest a detachable.  If you're concerned about needing a follow up shot, or the comfort of having extra rounds available for hunting dangerous animals then I would recommend a drop plate.  So much of hunting and shooting is just personal preference.  Go with what decision will make you happier in life.  Enjoy!

gitano

Advice like that makes it awfully hard to argue about anything teddy. :)

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Skip

I have several rifles with drop plates and two with detachable magazines. I prefer the drop plates probably because that is what I've had since buying my Remington in the early sixtys. On one occasion the magazine on my 338 wasn't seated all the way. Not sure if I just didn't seat it or if brush etc released it.

Rohann

Floorplate. I have heard detachable magazines to make the rifle shoot less accurately and have more problems with jamming. Also a pain to reload, and if you lose the mag then you have a problem.

-Rohann

Kanibal

What about sticking with the ADL non drop plate itself? I can jac k shells out just as fast as it would take to drop the plate and reassemble the plate back into place. So really I cant justify spending 200 dollars to put a drop plate in an ADL when a detachable magazine for seventy dollars. In my case a drop plate would be less cost effective than keeping my ADL as is and having more pretty wood on my gun.
-Richard

sakorick

Quote from: RohannFloorplate. I have heard detachable magazines to make the rifle shoot less accurately and have more problems with jamming. Also a pain to reload, and if you lose the mag then you have a problem.

-Rohann
Just wondering where you heard this?? My experience with detachable magazines is just the oppossite. My Steyr mod M's rotory magazine has never jammed...it is as slick as butter and they have been making them for 50 odd years. My CZ .17 Remington has never jammed and it is the most accurate rifle I own. I also have a Tikka with a detachable mag that I haven't had much experience with yet, however, it seems to cycle flawlessly. I always take a spare magazine along while deer hunting..... in my hunting jacket at all times. I carry the .17 with me at all times and have 2 loaded magazines in the ash tray in my PU. The CZ is unloaded but I can snap a magazine in and be loaded in seconds. In general, I guess you would have to say that I really like my rifles equipped with detachable magazines and I see no accuracy issues at all. Regards, Rick.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

Rohann

I'm not sure how accurate this information is, but I heard it from someone on this forum a while ago.
Personally, I would chose an internal magazine as you can not lose the magazine or jam it very easliy (I have never heard of an internal-magazine rifle jam).
Looking at past and modern rifles, some of the most accurate have been internal loading rifles such as the Mosin Nagant M1891/30 and the Mauser K98, or the more modern M24 SWS and the USMC's M40A3. Also looking at long range competition shooters, most if not all rifles are single-shot or internal loading.
Could anyone tell me more on this subject? I'm interested in finding out which is more reliable, has least moving parts, more prone to jamming, etc., and if there is a difference at all.

Thanks,
-Rohann

azhdryder

Rohann, the internal magazine of a M700 will jam tighter than you can get it loose with a 4lb rubber hammer ( DO NOT ASK  LOL) as will any magazine loaded improperly. The rifles you quoted are all internal magazine rifles, but there are design reasons for them. The M91/30 was a rattle trap, the K98 not much better (1 1/2 MOA on a good day) with the military ammo, before someone has a stroke about the last.

Kanibal, is it a short or long action? The Robar conversion for the .308 sized casing ( .260, .243 etc.) uses an M14 magazine. Very nice setup, and Ive lusted after one for years. The instant change of ammo types is reason enough to like it. Unfortuanately, the last I looked it was for the SA only. I thought about a .308 set up with it. Use the 5 round flush fit mags , use the 150 in one mag for deer on a clearcut, switch to 165 or 180RN for the cedar swamps after bear. Not to mention the look of the rifle with the slightly longer 10 rd mag. Very nice to look at as well, youll be the envy of the deer camp.
Amatuers talk rifles

Enthusiasts talk ammo

Professonals talk Wind

Kanibal

The rifle discussed in this thread is my Remington 700 ADL which I wish to convert into either a detachable mag or a drop plate.  So am wondering what you all think is better for such a gun used for deer, elk and bear.  The following is a look at the conversion kit I am considering.  Thanks for your help.

//www.cabelas.com/information/HuntingOptics/KwikKlipRemingtonModel700ClipConversionKit.html
-Richard

azhdryder

OK then, you have a problem then if I know my 700 actions. Does your rifle have an existing floorplate or is it a blind( no access other than the top, no metal floorplate at all?) because if it is, I beleive you are going to have more trouble than its worth. You will have to cut the stock if its a blind magazine and have this installed. Its a gunsmith job unless you have the tools and tech to do it yourself. I do not recomend this at all. That particular kit is for the BDL models with the floor plate in front of the trigger gaurd. If you look at the specs it says you will have to inlet the stock for this to work. On the positive side, the Kwik  Klip is the most succesfull mass produced conversion for the M700 because it works. It works so well Remington tried to copy it for the M700DM and because of patent rights ended up with the system they use now instead. Very inferior compared to this kit. If you are willing to put the time and trouble into it , it should make a good rifle better.
Amatuers talk rifles

Enthusiasts talk ammo

Professonals talk Wind

Rohann

In terms of what I said in my previous post, which is better (reliability, does it affect accuracy, which is more prone to jamming, etc.)? Is there a difference at all?

Thanks,
-Rohann

P.S: Does the PSS have a floorplate or a blind mag?

azhdryder

Simple answer to a loaded question. NO. LOL If its loaded improperly it doesnt matter if its an internal or detachable. However, a jammed detachable is easier to fix, yank it out and put in a new one. A jammed internal is a "stop and wonder" exercise and then maybe a disasemble, not fun in the dark. A deer WILL be standing watching you do this as well. Its a rule. Most of the jammed internals result from not seating the cartridge fully to the rear and shoving another one or two on top of it. The fast fix is hit the floorplate latch and dump the rounds into the mud ( what? no mud?, snow then!!) and start over. It happens mostly when loading with gloves on. Short action bolt guns have fairly small ejection ports and are hard to load exactly right in the dark with cold gloved hands. Thats a rule too. The fix is loading drills with snap caps or dummy rounds. Try not to slam your finger closing the bolt, it leaves a mark.

There is an old man here who can shoot a double 12 gauge through 10 rounds faster than most of the kids with the M97 pump guns at the cowboy shoots. Why? Because he pratices with what he has instead of wishing for what he doesnt. Decide what you want, get it and Learn it like you were born attached to it. Dont change it, learn what youve got. Then, after you have played with it and can shoot it as well as its capable, change what you need to to fit you.
Amatuers talk rifles

Enthusiasts talk ammo

Professonals talk Wind

azhdryder

The PSS has a floorplate, I like internals, less to go wrong.
Amatuers talk rifles

Enthusiasts talk ammo

Professonals talk Wind

m gardner

The supposed problem with accuracy is the stock with the cutout being less supported and rugged. This is why I prefer no magazine cutout on my rifles.

Tags: