Browning or Benelli?

Started by HunteRed33, February 20, 2005, 01:45:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HunteRed33

I was thinking about buying a semi-auto shotgun and I heard that the Browning Gold and the Super Black Eagle were pretty good. If you have one of these could you tell me how it works.

Thanks

Jay Edward (deceased)

Can't help you out much HR33. I've shot Brownings a few times and never found one that wasn't reliable. I've not shot the Super Black Eagle but I note that Chuck Hawks isn't very impressed by the recoil reduction. Mayhap you should run over to his site and see what he has to say? Hope it works out for you.

P.S. Welcome to THL.

Patriot

Are you asking about the mechanical differences between the two or for personal experience?

mudturtle

From a personal preference, I prefer to shoot a Winchester Super x2, which is Browing Gold in everything but name.  The Benelli's are great shooters, but I have not been all that impressed with the recoil reduction either.  If you are not shooting 3.5", I don't notice too much of a differance.  When I am shoot 3.5", I prefer the heavier gun to help tame the recoil somewhat.

70Classic

Well, here's my 2 cents worth -

The Browning Gold has suffered from both reliability and durability problems - notably firing pin fracture - since its introduction.  It seems that you either have a good one or not.  Many of my clay shooting friends have sold or traded their Golds after becoming frustrated trying to keep them running.  My duck hunting buddies have had similar problems with much lower volume of shooting.

Most of my duck-hunting buddies shoot either the Benelli SBE or a Beretta 390 or 391.  I've seen the Benelli fail to eject because the shooter failed to have it snugged into his shoulder - sometimes tough to do in a heavy parka, and at other times revert to a single-shot for no apparent reason.  Generally, though, their short-stroke action is pretty dependable.  As noted, the recoils is a bit "thumpier," but that's the nature of a recoil operated weapon.

You didn't include the Beretta 391 in your options, but that will be my choice if I ever decide to retire my old tried and true 11-87.  I've got 30k rounds through a Beretta 390 Sporting and it has never failed to feed, fire or eject.  Reliability, IMHO, has a name - Beretta.

Good luck and good shooting.

Vermonster

I too am looking at shotguns for ducks, but don't want to go as high as what a semi-auto costs.  I am looking at the Benelli pump, which looks and feels nice, with the exception of a funky shaped front stock.......  Anyone use this one?????

M1Garand

Quote from: VermonsterI too am looking at shotguns for ducks, but don't want to go as high as what a semi-auto costs. I am looking at the Benelli pump, which looks and feels nice, with the exception of a funky shaped front stock....... Anyone use this one?????

My brother picked one up and it's a light, good shooting pump.  I liked it and for around $300 it's a good deal.  All the chokes come with it also.  I like the button on the pump where you can hold it and eject a shell and it doesn't forward one from the magazine.

calestus

I can't comment on either of those.  I have a Beretta A391 Xtrema that I love very much.  I've had well over 2000 shells threw it and it has never ever malfunctioned.  From the bargin crud shells to premium stuff it spits them all out every time I pull the trigger.  Easy to strip down and clean too.

Tags: