Update from Rockin's varmint hunt?

Started by Gmoney, February 19, 2005, 08:11:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gmoney

Since I couldn't make it I was just wondering if anybody attending had any stories to tell yet.....if not I don't blame you....if I was there I probably wouldn't have time either....lol....
-Greg

Personal field testing trumps everything no matter what Field and Stream says, what your degree of perceived manhood is, or what your buddies think.

M. R. Byrd

I just know I wish I was there! I am trying not to think about it too much. Right now I am looking over some rib rub recipes. Think I might try smoking some ribs on my new smoker tomorrow. I do bet that everyone is having a good time without us and how do we know that they are telling the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth around the campfire.:p

I will be anxiously awaiting the stories to come out of New Mexico.

Maynard
Maynard Reece Byrd
Dodge City

rockinbbar

Day 1....

Weather started out clear then the wind promptly kicked up to gusts of 40 MPH....LOL.
So we tried a few stands & got some yotes to answer us, but they were having none of it.

We decided to go down off the mountain a bit & try it out in the desert.....as soon as we got down there, thunderstorms beared down on us.....rain, lightning, wind...:)

Tomorrow might be better, but today the coyotes were in thier dens all warm & safe.

We had a great BBQ tonight with all the trimmin's & good folks & banter. Also had homemade choc. cake, custard & pumpkin pie for dessert...Mmmm.

Rockin'
Remind yourself often to SEE not just "look".

Kit

Quote from: rockinbbarDay 1....

Weather started out clear then the wind promptly kicked up to gusts of 40 MPH....... try it out in the desert.....as soon as we got down there, thunderstorms bore down on us.....rain, lightning, wind...:)

Boy, if I wasn't a Christian I'd be saying you stirred up some angry coyote-protection spirits!  LOL!!!!

Yum on the grub.  Tell 'em all hello for us & Have fun!
 Blessings
 ~Kit

Gmoney

I don't know Rockin'....something about homemade fixed up pinto beans and tender brisket for 5 meals in a row just gets my tastebuds watering...lol....
-Greg

Personal field testing trumps everything no matter what Field and Stream says, what your degree of perceived manhood is, or what your buddies think.

Daryl (deceased)

Sounds like you all are having fun in spite of the weather.  Hope the weather settles down so you all can go kill some coyotes!

Good luck,
Daryl
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

rockinbbar

Little better weather today. We are off to hunt. Ya'll have a good day.

Rockin'
Remind yourself often to SEE not just "look".

azhdryder

Wish I had made it this time, Im at work, another 16 hour day in fact. Wishing I was sitting on the side of a mountain freezing instead of here.
Amatuers talk rifles

Enthusiasts talk ammo

Professonals talk Wind

RatherBHuntin

Well, today didn't go much better than yesterday if the hunt was to be measured in the pile of carcasses in the back of my truck.

However, it was not measured that way so you can say it was just as successful as Saturdays! Spent dang near the entire day out of doors, learning and hunting, hunting and learning. Good companionship, beautiful scenery, nice exercise (6500+ ft of elevation makes for nice walking) and just being out hunting.

The weather was pretty much the same as the day before. Sun mixed with showers, sleet and intermittent clouds and a persistant increasing wind. Started off cool, then got warm, then got cool and finished off pretty nice but still with bad winds. Rockinbbar found yote and cat tracks back and forth all over the mountains, most of them fresh as it had rained pretty hard the night before and most were clearly after the rain. Also saw some turkey tracks, tons of deer tracks and some elk prints. I am pretty sure those hills are wall to wall wildlife. I managed to see a couple of elk the night before while setting a few stands, watched them for awhile at what must have been over a thousand yards now that I think about it. One thing for certain, theres more animals up there than people.

Ya'll missed out on a good time is all I can say. Rockinbbar and family are probably the best hosts you'll ever find, and he's got some of the best neighbors you could ask for. On top of making new friends I beleive I may have learned a thing or two. If nothing else I learned I better go hit the Stairmaster some more.  
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

Gmoney

lol....I feel you Glenn....I have never seen more tracks in all my life walking back into those hills....trails so big you'd think it was a huge cattle ranch back in there....sounds like ya'll had fun....Greg
-Greg

Antler3

Thanks for the updates....makes me wish I was there. Ya'll have fun and be safe !  :) :) :) Hey soak up all that good huntin' info. and bring some back to us :D :D :D
ANTLER 3

Hunterbug

So did you guys get anything? Do we have any pics at least of everyone standing around the camp fire.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

Tags: