I Just Like to Grow Things

Started by gitano, December 03, 2018, 03:01:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gitano

I don't think I would have been a particularly great farmer or rancher. However, my heart has always had a yearning to GROW things. I've raised A LOT of different kinds of animals and plants. One of my great disappointments with living in The Great White North is not being able to grow things! I spat into that Great White North wind for decades. Now, I find myself resigned to at least trying to be "practical" about what I try to grow. Nevertheless, I find it very difficult to go against my natural desires. To that end, I have spit once more into the wind by planting two 'tropical' plants:

Turmeric and Ginger

Wikipedia says of turmeric:
"The plant is rhizomatous, herbaceous, and perennial, and is native to the Indian subcontinent and Southeast Asia, and requires temperatures between 20 and 30 °C (68 and 86 °F) and a considerable amount of annual rainfall to thrive.",

and

"Ginger is in the family Zingiberaceae, to which also belong turmeric (Curcuma longa), cardamom (Elettaria cardamomum), and galangal. Ginger originated in the tropical rainforests from the Indian subcontinent to Southern Asia..."

Both of these rhizomatous plants are readily available at your local grocery store. Just as important as local availability is ease of growing right from what you buy at the grocery store! About 3 weeks ago I bought a tiny piece of turmeric rhizome and a tiny piece of ginger rhizome and planted them in a relatively small pot (8"diameter). Since germinating plants don't need light, I set the pot on the boiler in my basement. About 5 or 6 days ago, the first shoots came up! I'm not sure which one it is (turmeric or ginger), but I think these first two are ginger.

As you likely know, this is the coldest, darkest time of the year up here in Alaska. One might think this was not the best time to start plants. Especially plants not adapted to this climate. I can't argue with that logic, however... from what I read and see on Youtube, one can plant both turmeric and ginger in the spring and harvest significant production that same fall. I can't start these two species outside in the spring up here, so I am growing them in pots, (in which they do well I am told). Therefore, by starting them now, and 'struggling' through the 'dark days' until about late February, (when the day length starts to grow rapidly), I should get a jump on the spring growth, which in turn should give me a longer growing season than if I started them in the spring when the risk of frost was past. At least that's my logic.

The attached image is of the ginger/turmeric shoots.

Paul

PS - By the way... I have started two fig trees in pots too. I love figs! I'm hoping to get figs within two years.

Paul

Be nicer than necessary.

sakorick

Bravo my friend. We are still about 18 days from the Solstice, and I think you are on the right track. I have Geraniums that are 8 years old still going strong!
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

gitano

Thanks for the encouragement.

My geraniums took a hit - literally - in the earthquake, but being essentially weeds that you can't kill, they'll do fine. In fact, I'll get some more starts from the broken off pieces!

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

I have the inverse Midas touch when it comes to plants, everything turns to s....
Turvey Stalking
Learn from the Limeys or the Canucks, or the Aussies, or the Kiwis, or the...
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

gitano

We call that a "black thumb".

In contrast to a "green thumb", meaning can get a walking cane to take root.

Usually, the difference between a plant living or dying is one simple element. Possibly the most common mistake folks make is over-watering their house plants.

Not wanting to misrepresent reality; I killed my share of house plants! I spent 4 decades trying to get store-bought orchids to bloom. It was only a year or two ago that I finally succeeded. MANY people have no problem getting orchids to flower and propagate.

Nevertheless, I continue to try. The successes, however small they may be, are, for whatever reason, very satisfying.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Paul Hoskins

My biggest success is growing dandelions. :D The little lady next door to me can stick a rusty file in the ground, pour half a cup of water on it & it takes root & grows. I suspect she can get milk from a billy goat. :eek:  .....Paul, I'm amazed at the things you grow up there. .......Paul H

gitano

QuoteMy biggest success is growing dandelions.
:D :D :D

I'm pretty darn good at that, myself! No problem with growing those in the Great White North!

I've seen, (and had), some of your produce, Paul. You're being modest. You do a pretty good job of growing things!

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Tags: