Cheapo guns aren't cheap anymore

Started by sakorick, June 06, 2018, 01:44:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sakorick

The days of ordering a Mauser barrel for a custom gun has just gone nuts. Adams and Bennett has gone out of business which leaves a huge hole in the availability of custom Mauser barrels. I just got off the phone with Mark Skaggs(my Smith) in Grants Pass Oregon. He says his Mauser business is all but gone. I have one Zavodi double set trigger action left and will probably build my last sporter. E R Shaw has the best prices , however the barrel will be $210 plus shipping.

So I am considering the 280 Ackley Improved for my more than likely, last custom. Your input greatly appreciated.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

Paul Hoskins

Rick, I feel your pain. You didn't say if the 210 dollar barrel is finished & chambered or not. Actually a good blank turned but not finished & no chamber at 210 dollars is a pretty good deal any more. If it's chambered & threaded, it's a steal. The last barrel blank I bought from Douglas was very close to 300 dollars with no chambering or threading. That was a few years ago & I still haven't done anything with it. My friend, Chic Donalley died several years ago & I have no idea who bought his barrel making business. His business was in Grant's Pass too. He bought Ackley's barrel making business & worked for Ackley at one time. Last time I talked with his wife, she didn't mention selling the business but he had been dead only a few days & it was no time to be asking questions like that. Any more if I want a new barrel I call Douglas & talk to Stan Taylor & tell him my needs &  pay the price & cry & complain.  .......Paul H

Tags: