Raspberry Pi

Started by j0e_bl0ggs (deceased), April 10, 2018, 01:24:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Extreme cooling for my Pi 3 B+
These SBC's make a nice low power internet machine, using this one with a couple of SDR's to rummage around the radio waves...

Turvey Stalking
Learn from the Limeys or the Canucks, or the Aussies, or the Kiwis, or the...
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

gitano

Now that's a cooling system that Tim The Toolman Taylor would be proud of!

Nice rig! How about explaining to those that might not know, what an "internet machine" is.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Basically low power web browsing, email, youtube etc. It has libre office installed so word processing spreadsheet etc.
Usb pen drives, hdd etc can be connected, system (Linux) boots (in this instance) from a 64gb micro SD card.
IO pins break out for those who want to tinker.

12v 2.5A = 30w 1/10th of a desktop machine gotta like that!
Turvey Stalking
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

gitano

It is cool. (No pun intended.)

I think I will doing something along those lines to set up some environmental monitoring in the not distant future.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Yeah, plenty of 'weather' related sensors and stuff out there - was thinking about a lightening detector myself.

This may be my next SBC;
https://www.asus.com/Single-Board-Computer/Tinker-Board-S/
Turvey Stalking

gitano

Interesting specs. Because I am interested in image processing (highly computationally intensive), and 'sampling rate', the only benchmark I care much about is "FLOPs" - floating point operations. I was getting pretty 'interested' until I saw the 'new' OS - TinkerOS. Yet ANOTHER flipping operating system to learn. Not a deal-killer, as it is "overcomable", and there is a possibility that it might actually be "good", but most likely, just another waste-of-time-OS-in-Linux-clothing. Also, undoubtedly, sooner or later, it will probably be 'adjusted' to run things like Windows, even if at a loss of efficiency.

Actually, I would prefer to be able to use all of the old desktop computers I have 'laying around'. What a waste to simply 'scrap' them when they have lots of computing power FLOPs relative to SBCs. However, the computing industry is loathe to "reuse" ANYTHING. (Or "allow" anyone to.) 'Reuse' doesn't sell computers. The maxim of the computing industry is "Throw that old thing away and BUY this new thing I have made. You might as well because we are going to quit 'supporting' our earlier products very soon." Frankly, besides the abject greed, that's disgustingly wasteful.

With all my "gun" projects, I doubt I will 'get a round tuit'*. (Building a system to monitor environmental aspects of my house and land.) But... I may. Until then, I will have to live vicariously through your efforts. :)

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Tags: