A New Rifle Rest

Started by recoil junky, March 03, 2018, 05:00:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

recoil junky

And I NEED a rest or nap or food.

I decided that the "Bob" sled needed a windage adjustment so I made one.

The orange thing is plastic used to line loader buckets and such so it's pretty tough. It "works" just like steel but much easier. It can be cut with a carbide tipped circular saw blade. It slides in the "keepers" and is adjusted by turning the "wheel" which is connected to 3/8" all-thread. The plastic is threaded in the center of the hole for about 1/2". It was during the drilling (of the first test piece) that I discovered my drill press table and vise wasn't square with the chuck :cens:

Not to out do myself I decided to make a complete  rest (including scissors jack) for Elkhamr and another for Jeff (a guy at work) as he's wanted one since he got to use the "Bob" sled. Now the original jack has "gears" to keep it from falling over. Well, with my limited machining tools I cannot "make" gears but I can make sprockets!!

Both the base and windage "apparatus" will need the chain and sprocket assembly to prevent "tipping".

With some creativity I can "pre-load" the #41 chain (1/2" pitch) to take ALL of the slop out of each "riser" as it isattached to the base and windage adjustment apparatus.

Here's what I have so far.

The windage apparatus is just setting on it's platform and will be attached as the first "test" apparatus. It's definitely "design as I go" and  I consider myself lucky that I've only had to "trash" the first windage base as the metal was too thin, but in that trial I learned a lot about how to take the play out of threaded pieces. As you can see, the windage "wheel" is too big and I'll need to "adjust" it. Too bad I've made 3 wheels :stars: Also the end of the tube by the elevation wheel will have to be trimmed so you don't get a finger pinched while turning the wheel :stare: Also there will be a leveling wheel on the same side as the elevation adjustment. Yes it's made left handed as Elkhamr has to shoot left handed.

The "vee" front rest will be "padded" with closed cell foam (it's rather stiff) and covered with elkhide and the butt stock "pocket" will be made of 3" nylon webbing (old seat belts) with an elkhide and sheepskin pad to protect delicate stock finishes.

How much for me to build you one? If you have to ask, you can't afford it. Jeff is only going to be charged for materiels as he will be the "crash test dummy". I'm going to add a new scissors and the first windage apparatus to my original "Bob" sled later.

It comes in any color you want as long as that color is flat black.

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

gitano

Cool!

I must say though... It looks like it might take three men and big boy to lug it around. Of course that's good for recoil abatement, but then I AM speaking with a RECOIL JUNKY aren't I?

I won't ask you to make me one, but I might ask for a chunk of that "orange stuff" if you have any spare layin' around. :D

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Hunterbug

Looks good, RJ. Maybe Pea and I will make a trip up this summer and we can see it in person.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

recoil junky

Quote from: gitano;150224Cool!

Thanks

Quote from: gitano;150224I must say though... It looks like it might take three men and big boy to lug it around.

Just guessing I think (as it sits) it might weigh 25 pounds (?) The original weighs 47 with the longitudinal tube being 3/4 of the way full of lead. So yes, two men and a small boy to move it. Maybe I will add wheels and a 2" Bulldog ball hitch . . . . .  

Quote from: gitano;150224Of course that's good for recoil abatement, but then I AM speaking with a RECOIL JUNKY aren't I?

Yes, but this is for load development :greentongue:

Quote from: gitano;150224I won't ask you to make me one, but I might ask for a chunk of that "orange stuff" if you have any spare layin' around. :D

How big a piece do you want? I can get some "drops" from the bull gang that might be as big as a foot square? I will ask "Pussgut" in the morning.

HB, that would be most agreeable if Peanut brings me some peanut butter cookies.

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

gitano

Thanks for asking/looking, RJ! Anything you care to come up with is fine by me. Don't spend any social currency to get it. I just thought it looked/sounded like cool stuff.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Turvey Stalking
Learn from the Limeys or the Canucks, or the Aussies, or the Kiwis, or the...
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

recoil junky

Spent most of the day "finishing" rest S.N. SP001

Here it is with a rifle in it.

And now it's painted.

The adjustment wheels are Ford engine blue. it's my second favorite color. I was going to paint them red, but discovered I didn't have any red paint. :rolleyes:

Tomorrow I will make the front rest pad and rear butt stock "pocket". I still have to make a few "bolts" for the "risers" as I can't get what I want at the "bolt store". Paint will cure overnight and s I should be ready to reassemble it when I get the bolts made.

RJ

gitano

Cool! Looks much better and more "proportional" now that we see it relative to other objects.

Great job!

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

recoil junky

recoil junky

Rifle rest SP001 is complete.

RJ

gitano

I LIKE IT!

Plenty of adjustment. Plenty of beef.

Now that it's finished, would you change/modify anything?

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

recoil junky

Yes and I'm going to change this one already. The rear butt pocket is too high. I will lower that an inch which will also move the pocket forward. I will also move the leveling nut to the bottom of the tube on this one so there will be no bolt visible or to grab fingers as you adjust elevation.  Its just sand off some paint and the use of a cutoff wheel and a bit more welding. Minor in the grand scheme of things.

RJ

gitano

Did you thread the front cross-bar (that the leveling screw goes through), or did you put a nut inside?

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

recoil junky

The nut is inside the top of the tube. It started as a right hand rest.

RJ

gitano

I understand now. So, there's a little more work to do to 'capture' that leveling bolt inside the cross-tube. Still, it's 'good'. If JaDub hadn't already made one for me, I'd prolly have to 'fill me boots' and try my hand at it.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Tags: