Wowwy its a Kimber

Started by Kanibal, February 13, 2005, 08:45:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kanibal

The other day I took my girlfriend to the gunshop and let her handle some guns and she really liked the Remington Model 7, also the Winchester Featherweight and especially a Kimber Model 84, too bad it is $1300.  Figures that a girl would pick the most expensive gun.  I even played around with the Kimber and it was awesome, it felt great and weight almost nothing.  I believe like 5.5 pounds or something and was chambered for 308.  We both instantly fell in love with the Kimber it is such a sweet gun and would be perfect for her.  I may consider buying it if Kimbers are any good? I have never shot a Kimber so was wondering if any of you have and what you think of Kimbers in your experience.  Any info I can get on the Kimber would be very appreciated.  Thanks much.

-Richard
-Richard

deadeye2

Hi Richard,
I own a  Kimber mod 84L (left handed). I do love that rifle. It is chambered in 223 and has been my Blazer very since I bought back in the late 80's.

The fit and finish is as good as any of my custom rifles. The trigger is very easy to adjust, mine is set at a very  crisp 32 oz. pull. It is scoped with a compact Leupold 3x9x40AO scope. If I do my part,  it well put three rounds in one large hole at 100 yds.

I am glade to see Kimber back on the market,  they make a very good rifle.
Be Safe...Have Fun

deadeye2

Daryl (deceased)

I don't own any, but a couple of buddies of mine do.  Very nice, and very accurate.

Daryl
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

gitano

Keep in mind that there is an inverse relationship between rifle weight and percieved recoil. The single easiest way to mitigate recoil is to increase rifle weight.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Rohann

I have heard downtalk of Kimber rifles, but they seem like great rifles to me (even though I have no experience with them).

-Rohann

azhdryder

This is going to sound off no matter how I word it............. so how is your lady friend built? A 5.5 lb .308 is going to punch her pretty hard, and the scope may kiss her eye on the way through. Kimbers are very pretty rifles, and tack driver accurate. Personally they are a favorite of mine but I consider them to pretty to take hunting. They are just that nice in my opinion. But, like I said, its gonna have some recoil so Id consider that first, even though she likes it, if it hurts her shes going to flinch or just get to where she hates the gun. Good for me at the yardsale, bad for you making her happy.
Amatuers talk rifles

Enthusiasts talk ammo

Professonals talk Wind

gitano

Professionals talk wind - ain't it the truth. :)

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

m gardner

Seeing you live and I assume hunt in the northwest you may want to consider the Remington in stainless steel and laminated or synthetic stock. They can get wet and not lose zero. Also the 308 may be a bit much in the recoil department, a 7-08 is quite a lot more manageable.

Kanibal

So even though a 308, 7mm-08, 260 and 243 all have the same amount of powder capacity the cartridge with the heavier grain bullet will cause more recoil?  Is it because more force is required to propel a heavier bullet and therefore causing more force pushing backwards against the shooter?  I always just thought of it as being the bigger the case the more recoil, but I guess not.  Oh and my girlfriend is 5'7" and somewhat small and athletic build so thats why I wanted to get her a lighter gun that shoots a smaller cartridge capable of taking game up to the size of elk.  I hath spoken, let thy comments commence.

-Richard
-Richard

m gardner

You've pretty much figured out the recoil thing, the bullet weght and velocity being the factor. More weight and more powder (velocity) more kick. The 7-08 or 260 will take elk if you use premium bullets and shoot well. My wife kills elk with a 243 and Speer Nitrex loads but thats a little risky unless everything is perfect.

Kanibal

I have a female friend back home who hunts Roosevelts with a 243.  She has killed a couple of elk with it and last year shot an elk through the heart at 175 yards from her back porch.  It died instantly, im not saying that a person can expect a heart shot everytime but a 243 will kill an elk just fine if you make a good shot.  I have watched a friend shoot 300+ pound black bear with a 25-06 and kill them with a well placed shot and then I have also seen another friend put four 30-06 bullets in a bear and it ran a few hundred yards.  Its all about shot placement.  Im very pleased to hear that your wife uses a 243 for large game and with great success.  Just like people in Norway using the 6.5x55 for moose.
-Richard

Rohann

You have to keep in mind though that, yes, a lighter rifle will be easier to handle but it will produce significantly more recoil than the heavier rifle. A way to solve this would be to add a muzzlebrake or an aftermarket, well-made recoil pad.

Regards,
-Rohann

beretta96

I own a weatherby accumark ultralight in 7-08 with scope its around 6.5 lbs. My wifes brother is 5'5" around 100lbs and shoots it with ease. It has a pachmyr decelerator pad on it. In my opinion the best pad on the market. THe other thing is recoil at the bench or prone is the worst recoil in the world. My cx4 storm in 9mm has caught me wrong a couple of times at thre bench. A very light kicking rifle but when perched at a bench even that can get you. A lightweight 7-08 is the pefect balance of efficient catridge in a small rifle. If shooting it at the bench bothers her consider getting a PAST recoil pad. They make one that will clip on to a womans bra strap.(cool huh) But in the field or shooting in field positions, which I highly recommend, perceived recoil is reduced because your body can give with the push. At a bench where all your weight is behind the rifle perceived recoil is greater. JUst a thought.

ghostrider_tx

Howdy Kanibal

Several questions need to be answered.  
 1 How much experience does she have with firearms?
 2 Have you let her shoot any of your rifles to see how she handles recoil?
 3 How much hunting experience does she have---marginal calibers are not the best choice for inexperienced hunters.

Recoil affects everyone differently--not only on body size--I know one 5'6" lady in AK that hunts with a Savage stainless in .338 w/muzzle brake--but she worked her way up--.270/30.06/.338
The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth.

Benefactor Life NRA member

Kanibal

She only has a little bit of experience with firearms and is going through hunter safety next month so she has little hunting experience herself besides tagging along on some of my bear, elk or deer hunts.  She has shot my 12 guage and my 7mm Rem Mag so she has some idea of recoil.  What do you mean by a marginal cartridge and what would you suggest as a gun for her.  She will be hunting bear, elk and deer so I was thinking of going with a 308 variation to keep recoil down but still be effective.   7mm-08 or a 308 itself were my ideas.  Maybe even a 260 for just deer and she can use one of my guns for bear and elk.  Ive seen many black bear and roosevelt elk killed with both the 7mm-08 and 308 with great sufficiency.  I wanted to get her a lighter model of gun as she is smaller in stature but this in turn will cause more recoil than a heavier weapon which is another reason for my cartridge choice.
-Richard

Tags: