'Scoped the .308 Mauser

Started by gitano, July 17, 2016, 06:53:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gitano

I could have sworn I posted pictures of this rifle when I purchased it - several years ago - but I can't find a single post about it. I got it in some trade or near in time when I traded the TCR-83 for the Navy Arms Martini chambered in .25 Krag AI. I can't remember which. Anyway, it's been sitting idle and never shot to date.

I'm trying to get all of my non-milsurp rifles 'scoped and ready for hunting. Consequently, I have been buying 'scopes, rings, and bases, trying to find "good" ones that don't 'break the bank'. Here are close-ups of the new 'scope on this rifle, which prompted this thread:

I just bought this 'scope here: http://www.deltateamtactical.com/US-Tactical-Scope-Corp-Side-Focus-Illuminated-Long-Range-Riflescope-4-16X50_p_4167.html

You can see the price and specs at the url, but since 'things change' on the internet, I'll post screen shots of the ad.

I should clarify that the actual reticle is slightly different than this one. Instead of a cross with equal-length limbs, like the one in the picture from the ad, the lower limb on the actual reticle is longer than the other three limbs. The actual central cross-hair resembles a crucifix.

The ad says the reticle is illuminated, but in fact, only the center cross is illuminated, which is 'good'. It can be illuminated red, green or not illuminated in which case it is black. I'm not big on illuminated reticles, but I don't mind this one because it can be set to "no illumination".

To complete the 'archival' posts of the ad:

The charactieristics of the 'scope that drew me to it are:
1) Side Focus
2) 30mm Tube
3) 4-16 magnification
4) Good price.

You'll notice that it has an etched reticle, and "lockable/re-setable" turrets. I'm a little surprised the clicks aren't 1/8th of an inch in a "tactical" 'scope. It also weighs 30 oz without the rings and caps, so it is certainly a '2-pounder'. Part of that is the 30mm tube, but I like those 30mm tubes! Also, it comes with the flip-up covers (yay!) AND rings. All for the $125. I also bought some other items, so the $8 shipping was amortized over several items. (That's right, EIGHT DOLLARS SHIPPING!) SO FAR, I like it. Of course it has to WORK. I hope to get to the range soon. The box the 'scope came in had NO markings on it AT ALL. A plain, black, box. Oh yeah, also a 3" sun-shade came with it.

The rifle is interesting, at least to me. I THINK it is a 'modern' Mauser action. If it isn't, I don't know what it is because there are NO markings on it. While everything looks very professional on it, it nonetheless has a 'one-of-a-kind' look and feel to it. The barrel is certainly not "factory" because the ONLY marking on it is "308" that looks hand-stamped. Notice that there is no recoil pad, AND that the butt is rather severely curved for an American factory rifle. The butt plate is metal, not plastic. Notice the classic straight lines of the stock, AND the shadow-line on the cheek-piece. Again, not particularly "American". Notice also the schnabel forend. That's certainly not factory American, and at the same time, it's not a 'typical' Teutonic (German/Austrian) schnabel.

The barrel is only 20 and 5/8ths inches long, which is a 'strange' length for a 'factory' barrel, but it has a factory-like sporter profile and most significantly, has both a nice ramp front sight and nice fold-down rear sight. The receiver is drilled and tapped for "Remington Long Action" scope base(s). All of the above and only two "marks" on it: The serial number on the receiver (which REALLY looks factory done), and the "308" (no "." in front of the "3"), on the barrel, which most certainly does NOT look factory done.

As I said, I haven't shot it, so I don't know how it shoots, but hope to soon have that unknown, known. But, it IS chambered in .308 Win. :D

Paul

PS - I just noticed something else different from the pictures in the ad and the 'real thing': The illumination knob looks like that in form, but has completely different markings on it. I'll get pictures of the real deal and post them. Actually, you can see the differences in the pictures of the 'scope that I took. The second and third pictures above.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Nelsdou

Interesting rifle there, Gitano.

Maybe a stateside gunsmith project with Euro tastes? Non-metric barrel length and straight pull back stock (no drop) make me think that. Very attractive though, whoever made it. I've always wondered if a 50mm Objective would fit without going to super high rings and this one looks good.
Put it into perspective; we live on a rock hurtling through space, what could be scarier than that?

gitano

I've never been much of a '50mm scope guy' but it's tough to find 44mm objectives in scopes with magnifications greater than 12x these days. I think I'm just 'getting used to' scopes with big objectives.

I'm going to load some 125s for it hoping that the muzzle blast for lighter bullets won't be so bad. With the idea of loading some fast powders that burn up long before the bullet exits the muzzle.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Will be good to share those loads with smokeyjoe, should be nicer to shoot from his Krico than the current 150grain stuff he has on hand...

Jager was talking about it shooting 130 spire points well...
Turvey Stalking
Learn from the Limeys or the Canucks, or the Aussies, or the Kiwis, or the...
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

gitano

Be nicer than necessary.

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

BTW nice rifle, the beak is cool but the curved butt is horrible!
Turvey Stalking
Learn from the Limeys or the Canucks, or the Aussies, or the Kiwis, or the...
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

sakorick

Nice looking rifle. The metal work looks perfect. I have never seen a shroud like that on a 98 Mauser bolt. I would whack the butt and install a 3/4 inch black pad and checker it. I bet the action is very smooth.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

gitano

I THINK the "modern" Mausers have shrouds like this. That and the bolt is what has me thinking "Mauser" but there are NO markings on it other than the SN, and as you can see, it's very long.

I'm going to shoot it the way it is and see if it is 'unpleasant'. If it is, I'll PROBABLY modify the butt. However, I don't really want to change it until I get some idea of what it is. If I can.

I have read some 3 and 4 year old posts at various "gun" forums about this - sorta - 'scope. Typical stuff from typical places. "Chinese POS", cheap Chinese garbage, etc. LOTSA people paid $400 and more for early models. Reviews by people that ACTUALLY OWN them are few and far between, and are all positive. Unfortunately, the "I hate verything Chinese" comments are useless because the commenters DON'T OWN them, and the "They're great" comments are suspect because too many people are unwilling to admit that they bought a lemon. I haven't read but ONE what I consider a thorough review. It was positive. Early versions were LABELED 1/8th MoA per click but were actually 1/4. What I get by "reading between the lines" is that this 3rd or fourth version probably has the "made overseas" kinks worked out. My expectations are fairly low. The Simmons 'scopes for similar price are good 'scopes. That's the 'bar' this 'scope will have to measure up to.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

branxhunter

Nice looking rifle there Paul, but I doubt it is a Mauser. The bolt handle and bolt shroud suggest an early Howa, or one of the similar actions (Dickson Golden Bear??), which I understand were a copy of the early Sako L61 action.

That bolt release is certainly not Mauser. It is hard to make out whether it has the long Mauser-style claw extractor or has a small extractor and plunger.

That trigger guard is also quite different from the standard Mauser items. It looks like it is coated with a matte finish as opposed to the nice deep blueing on the action?

I really like the sleek racy yet classic lines of the stock, but I would also square up the butt and add a rubber pad. This would both improve comfort while shooting but also avoid the rfile slipping over when standing upright on a hard surface.

Marcus

JaDub

There`s an old saying........... If it looks right, it probably IS right. This LOOKS right......... very nice, Paul.

I do like 50mm scopes as long as they don`t sit too high on the gun. A nice bright scope is a  wonder to behold.

gitano

Everything you point out makes sense, Marcus. Howas were 'donator' actions for a while in this part of the world. I'll have to check into that.

I think it 'looks' right too, JaDub. It's a very well-made rifle if it is indeed a 'one-of-a-kind'. To my eye, an interesting mix of cultures.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

22hornet

Nice lines on that stock Paul. Really nice. Personally I would have gone for a smaller scope but there is generally nothing wrong with the cheaper chinese scopes. They are good servicable scopes.
 I doubt that it is a Mauser though. Looks like a Howa.
"Belief:" faith in something taught, as opposed to "knowledge:" which is awareness borne of experience.

gitano

I think it is a Howa.

I took the rifle to the range yesterday http://thehunterslife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19163. When I came home I ordered two more! I LIKE that scope!

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Tags: