10 Gauge SxS with RB, Range Report 3-24-16

Started by gitano, March 24, 2016, 03:05:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gitano

So I was pretty excited to shoot the 10 gauge SxS shotgun using Round Ball. My intent based on reading Lyman's reloading manual and things written on the internet was to start with a charge of 110 grains. This seemed "mild" based on what I had read. In the Lyman book, 140 grains was the max charge listed. However, after 'conversing' with Alboy here: http://thehunterslife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16358&page=2, I decided to start with 90 grains instead.

The target was still at 50 yards having finished shooting the Zouave. http://thehunterslife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18980

I charged the right barrel with 90 grains of Alliant "MZ" and seated a 0.754" roundball on top of a prelubed patch and rammed it home. Then I repeated for the left barrel. I set the shotgun in the "lead sled" that JaDub had made for me, put a #11 cap on the nipple, kocked the hammer and "let fly".

THANK YOU AL FOR GETTING ME TO START AT 90 GRAINS! OY!

Knocked the snot outta me!

I REALLY hadn't expected that because I had used a charge of 110 behind a .58 caliber RB in the Zouave and it was what I would call almost 'mild'. I REALLY didn't expect the whack in the face I got. I tried to 'adjust' my hold, and shot the left barrel. Essentially no difference. The thing was beating me up BRUTALLY. Here's a picture of the target after those first two shots.

You should be able to recognize the two .75 caliber holes. They are to the lower left off the paper targets but still on the backstop.

YOWZUH! The main problem was that the piece was rotating up at the shot and hitting me hard in the face. The "recoil" per se wasn't so bad, but the "up into my face" as a function of the stock design was killin' me. I loaded both barrels again and this time I "grabbed on to it" by only resting the forearm on a rest and holding the butt to my shoulder and my hand gripping tightly the forearm. It was still VERY unpleasant to shoot.

I had had enough of 90 grains! I charged the barrels with 65 grains. That was "OK". Here's the target.

Not bad. I rushed the second shot and it went off target.

I LOVE those .75 caliber holes! But DANG! I've gotta do something about that stock. It's downright sadistic.

While all of this was going on the range was filling up. I don't like to shoot with a lot of people at the range so I decided to call it a day. I'll have to see what velocity 65 grains produces in a 621-grain projectile. I'm sure I could stand the recoil of at least 90 grains from a well-designed stock, but there is no way I'm doing that any more without SOMETHING to mitigate the rotation of the stock into my cheekbone.

Did I mention I love those .75 caliber holes?! :D:D:D:D:D

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

JaDub

Can`t call you a snot-nosed submariner any more !  8-))

Did ya break  my handy work  too  ??

gitano

Nah. The "straight back" recoil isn't too bad really. The problem is the excessive drop-at-comb of the stock. That makes the piece rotate upward - instead of push backward - at the shot. The gun fairly 'leaps' into your face. I honestly thought my face was bruised. It hurt for a couple of hours after I left the range. Your "handiwork" wasn't 'tested' really. I'm sure the .338 Sauer was more punishing to your lead sled.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

gitano

Be nicer than necessary.

JaDub

I`m feeling warm and fuzzy that you like the sled. :D

I meshed the center of the frame so that it would be easy to add a sand bag or lead bar to balance it if you wished.  

on another note..........

I didn`t feel kindly towards  the Browning Cynergy 12 ga that used to , as you put it, knock the snot out of my cheek every time I shot it.  `Just didn`t fit right.  :cens:     And , no,  I don`t own it anymore.  :mad:

gitano

I put a 25 lb bag of shot and a carton of 7.62x39 ammo on the deck for a total of 50 lb. That takes care of things, but because of the stock design, the 10ga comes up out of the forearm cradle and smacks you in the face.

This stock is just the typical stock of the pre-cartridge era; serious drop at the comb. This can be tolerated in .30 caliber MLs, but anything into the .40s and larger is just plain @#$%^&* unpleasant to shoot. Here's a picture of it, and how it came into my hands. http://thehunterslife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16277&highlight=gauge

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

farmboy

Hunterbug

Those are some big holes. I imagine that if you had a bear or moose in your sights you probably wouldn't notice the recoil.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

gitano

That's probably true, HB, but it is possible that I still would! It was that bad!

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Tags: