Zouave Range Report 3-24-16

Started by gitano, March 24, 2016, 02:42:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gitano

So it was back to the range with 'purpose' in mind today. I had preloaded 9 'packets' with powder and patched ball. Three with 90 grains, three with 100 grains, and 3 with 110 grains. My intent was to shoot each of the different loads at 35 yd, 50, 75, and 100. Without going into detail why (it's not relevant), I started at 50 yd.

I had preloaded Butler Creek "Speed Loaders" made for .58 caliber. Unfortunately, I hadn't remembered that these RBs were 0.578" in diameter and required a VERY thin patch. I had inserted them in the Speed Loader with a prelubed patch that was about 0.015" thick. That did not work.  So I simply charged the bore with the appropriate charge of powder - 90 grains to start with and used 'spit patches' of the proper thinness. It was STILL a stiff 'stuff'. Here is the target at 50 yd and the 90 grain charge.

Point of aim was the BIG bullseye in the lower left, making these shots about 6" high, and numbers 2 & 3, about 6" right. You can see the firing order. It is likely that the first shot is so wide of the other two because it was the first shot out of a clean barrel. At any rate, each shot got more difficult to ram the RB home, so I quit after the third shot. While I would have liked to have shot the 100 and 110 charges, I just didn't feel like it would be a good use of powder, ball, and caps.

I'll get back to the range for a Zouave-only session soon. I'll have the right patches prelubed, and will shoot the three charges at 50, 75, and 100 yards.

Once again, pre-occupied with other thoughts, I failed to look for spent patches, Al.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Tags: