Model 88 Winchester Range Report 3-24-16

Started by gitano, March 24, 2016, 02:30:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gitano

Not much to report really. You may recall from here: http://thehunterslife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18941&page=2 post #17 that I mounted a scope on this rifle because I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with it and open sights.

I REALLY don't like to sight scopes in if I can't bore-sight. It's not impossible, but it is very difficult to bore-sight lever guns.:frown I have a "laser bore sighter" like this: http://www.amazon.com/NcStar-Laser-Sighter-Arbor-TLZ/dp/B001CTKPHQ I don't use it unless I have to. In this case, I have to. I set it up this morning in my basement in which I can get about 12 yards. When I turned on the light and started adjusting for windage, I ran out before I got the dot in the cross-hairs. Actually, it wasn't close - about 4 or 5" off. Hmm... The arbors on these things aren't perfect, but that was pretty far off. I thought it might be the bases, so I took them off and reversed them. No change. Hmm. I really didn't want it to be the scope. Thinking that the arbor might be the problem, I rotated it 180 degrees. The dot went 4 to 5" to the other side. AHA! It IS the arbor. OK, fine.

I'll just go ahead and remove the bolt and perform a real bore-sight. In order to take a Model 88 out of the stock, you have to remove two screws: One in the forearm, and one that you can only remove after removing the recoil pad/buttplate. Sheesh! Fine. I do all of that. Removal of the bolt from that point still requires considerable disassembly. I say "never mind" (or words to that effect ;)); reassemble the rifle and simply center the windage settings between stop-to-stop.

Once at the range, I decide to start the range session with the Model 88 to "get that out of the way". I set everything up including the new "lead sled" that JaDub made for me:

The sled works GREAT! MUCH better than the generation 1 commercial Lead Sled I have! Very pleased with this one.

I didn't want to waste ammo getting "on target", so I set the target at 40 yd and took a shot. Air ball. Didn't even hit paper ANYWHERE. :Banghead::mad::Banghead::mad::Banghead: MAN that's annoying! I tried one more shot to see if I could see it hit the backboard. No soap. :frown:frown:frown

I brought the tartget in to 25 yd and shot. AIR BALL! More enthusiastic swearing. I just put it away and got the Sauer 90 out. See post #46 in the link above. VERY ANNOYING!

I'm going to have to take the blasted thing apart. Not today.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

gitano

I suppose I should add/remind that I was able to print a 6" 5-shot group AT 100 YARDS with open sights. Take the inability to HIT PAPER, AT 25 YARDS, WITH A SCOPE in that context!

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

recoil junky

I would go trough and ask you all the other questions that always get asked at this point, but as you already know what they are, I shall refrain.

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

gitano

I'm going to take it apart today. We'll see what happens then. I strongly suspect the rings.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Tags: