Remington's lock core ultra bonded bullets.

Started by farmboy, February 08, 2016, 05:34:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

farmboy

I think I have mentioned that I had bought and tried a few of these. I am quite impressed
with them so far. As some of you know I am not much of a fan of 6 mm cartridge s for big game hunting. I think they are a perfect coyote gun. Not enough experience with these Remington ultra bonded bullets yet but with the little deer I shot with these this fall I think they hold promise. This maybe holds true with other bonded bullets in this size. And yes I know lots of deer are taken with 6 mm and 243 s every year. These Remingtons held together and exited the far side with a massive amount of damage to the internals of the deer. I can not get nosler soild base bullets to exit or even find bits of them in a deer. I only shoot hundred grain bullets at deer with a six mm. I liked the performance well enough when I saw a couple of box's of 140 ultra bonded Remington bullets in 264 I bought them the other day.   264 bullets are always a bit hard to find around here as well. Has anyone else had experience with these and was it a thumbs up or thumbs down experience for you? Also being from Alberta Canada the deer are generally quite large 250 pound whitetails or more and mule deer at over three hundred pound are not uncommon. So that does enter into my cartridge selection process. We have ground squirrel s here not chucks funny how animals are different in different areas and our opinions work where we are from but are in no means universal. Anyhow I would be interested in anyone thoughts on these bullets.

gitano

I didn't see this thread until today.

I am not a proponent or 'supporter' of the concept of bullet "failures". If a person retrieves the animal after one or two GOOD shots, AND they didn't have to chase it all over hell's half acre, then the bullet didn't FAIL. I don't care what it LOOKS LIKE!

That said, I have actually experienced - first hand - two genuine bullet failures. Both were Remingtom "Core-Lokt" bullets. Neither were Remington "Core-Lokt Ultra Bonded". Both were over 30 years ago. Both had exactly the same "performance/failure". The first one was a .270 bullet shot at a black bear at an estimated range of approximately 200 yd. The bullet hit the right rear tibia right at the knee. The back of the jacket opened like a tin can and the core squirted out leaving the bone unbroken and the jacket immediately under the skin of the knee. The second shot killed the bear. I can't remember the circumstances surrounding the second failure, but the result was EXACTLY the same even though it was a 7mm bullet. Namely, the rear of the jacket opened up like a tin can and the core was no where to be found and the jacket was just under the skin.

That said, I still use Remington Core-Lokt bullets. Even though that was two instances of genuine failure, I have shot a lot of critters with Core-Lokt bullets with absolutely no complaint. I wouldn't hesitate to use them again.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

recoil junky

Paul, your first problem was using a 270 and shooting anything besides paper. :greentongue: The Corelokt bullet in a 270 was worthless. It went too fast. Even the WW Silvertip (in the day) was a complete failure on tough game. Me 'n Dad saw too many elk get away and we both swore off 270's as I still do.

The Bonded Corelokt is a whole different mess o' fish and many folks rate them right up there with Swift Scirrocos and Nosler Accubonds. I dearly want to try the 180's in the 300RUM.

You have to be careful what you feed 243's as well. I finally settled on Speer 85 grain boat tails in mine as they shot the best.

I have some pictures of the "old" Corelokt, Accubond and a Speer that worked just how I like 'em. I will post them soon.

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

gitano

Wasn't me shootin' the .270 in that particular instance, RJ. It was the fellow that I was with. All the Remington bullets I shot from my .270 did just fine. But... I can believe your assessment. Namely, "too fast". My personal shot that failed was out of a 7mm Rem Mag, so it could have been again, "too fast".

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Hunterbug

I shoot CL out of my 8X57 and they work great. They've killed 4 deer and an elk. Unfortunately when I run out of what I have in stock they're gone and I'll have to find something else.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

recoil junky

180 grain Corelokt from the 30-06AI recovered from the underside of the hide on my second ever elk at about 200 yards. Dad had a "pocket full" of these.

180 grain Accubond from the 300RUM recovered from my last elk at roughly 325 yards. This is the only bullet I've ever recover from this rifle.

150 grain Sierra Gameking from the 7mag recovered from an elk at about 200 yards. Usually this bullet sheds the jacket and they look like the bullets in second photo which were also recovered from elk (2nd one) or the clay bank behind my target board.

RJ

When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

gitano

They all kill. And pretty effectively too. I just have never had a complaint about any bullet I have ever used EXCEPT 175s out of my 7mm Rem Mag that went "end-to-end" on a caribou bull at about 175 yd. Basically tore up one whole side of a caribou. But it was dead. That was the last time I shot anything but the 115 grain Speer HP from either of my 7mm "mags".

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

recoil junky

IMO, 175 grain bullets out of a 7Mag are too heavy for hunting applications. They just don't go "fast" enough. Well, maybe for meese broadside at 50 yards or less.

That 150 grain Gameking in pic#3 is the first of TWO times I've ever "knocked an elk flat" as in DRT. The other was with the 300RUM with the 180 grain AccuBond shown. The 35 Whelen was a close "third" on a bull that made it maybe three steps.

As we have agreed to disagree before Paul . . .  . . . .  :toff:

RJ

gitano

Be nicer than necessary.

recoil junky

gitano

Ah...

The 175 in a 7mm Mag isn't too "slow" for anything I'm aware of. 1800+ ft-lbs at 300 yds with an impact velocity of 2200 f/s for a Sierra BTSP beats a WHOLE BUNCH of other cartridges. Mostly only the RUMs can best that. The 300 WM with 180 beats it by about 150 ft-lbs and 50 f/s impact velocity at 300. Nobody calls the .300 Win Mag shooting 180s too "slow".

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

recoil junky

By too slow I mean it was too slow to expand properly on that caribou if it went end for end and ruint a whole side of meat.

RJ

gitano

Oh it expanded alright! It just had too much energy to stop. If it had "penciled" through, I wouldn't have complained.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Paul Hoskins

Interesting post. I have never hunted big game & have no use for large caliber guns. Here in Ky. they require a cartridge of 7mm or larger for elk which seems rather silly to me since bow hunting is allowed. I have never been drawn for an elk permit so it doesn't really matter to me. Bullet selection would matter if I ever get drawn. The 7x57 Mauser I have on a Ruger #1 carbine would be my choice for elk. I would choose heavy Nosler partitions. This carbine likes 160 grain bullets very well. It also likes Curray 160 grain spitzers too but they're not bonded cores or partitions. I wouldn't feel comfortable shooting at an elk more than 200 yards with this combination. Any bullet that does the job is a good bullet regardless of it's construction. I seldom have to chase any animal I shoot at but have done it. I don't like it either. ......Paul H

recoil junky

Mr. Hoskins, I hope you do get drawn for a Kentucky elk tag. That would be just FANTASTIC!!!!

RJ

Tags: