Cafe Racer!

Started by Nelsdou, December 24, 2015, 06:59:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nelsdou

I became fascinated with the number of 80's vintage Japanese motorcycles that are available for cheap and the performance opportunities in stripping these bikes down, tinkering, etc., aka, Cafe Racer. Essentially, there are no "rules"; anything goes. Most of the Japanese bikes of this era have little collectible value, at least to me anyway, so let the fun begin!

'82 Yamaha 750 Virago, a cruiser bike made to compete in the Harley-chopper market. A heavy shaft driven affair, two valve heads, ergonomically terrible handlebars. Torquey V-Twin, marginal brakes.

When I glass bead blasted the heads and tank, I found the tank had grinding marks and a couple of dings but I was not ready to paint.  In that condition the tank is subject to flash rusting so I cold-blued it until such time I could get on with painting.  Surprisingly, the Japanese steel does not take easily to cold blue so over the course of repeat applications I ended up with a random mottled finish of black/blue/gray that turned out rather interesting. Finished it with a light wiping of of oil and it is good to go.

After stripping off a bunch of unnecessary parts (and weight) I modified quite a few components but the engine is basically unchanged except for new rings, cams, relapped the valves, and replaced the original carbs to Mikuni's. I was shocked to find the original cylinder bores miked to be within original factory specs on the rebuild so I simply re-honed the bores for the new rings.

The bike is back into pieces as I am powdercoating the various parts but attached are some photos when I last had it up and running.

Merry Christmas - Everyone!

Put it into perspective; we live on a rock hurtling through space, what could be scarier than that?

gitano

Be nicer than necessary.

branxhunter

Very very cool, looks greal. If and when you get the chance a close up of the tank finish would be interesting

Marcus

sakorick

'82 Yamaha 750 Virago, a cruiser bike made to compete in the Harley-chopper market. A heavy shaft driven affair, two valve heads, ergonomically terrible handlebars. Torquey V-Twin, marginal brakes.

"Marginal Brakes". That bike isn't street legal is it?? It sure looks like a speed machine!:biggthumpup:
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

farmboy

Nelsdou

Yep, 1980's braking technology was typically a single piston caliper on a cast iron disk up front and a drum brake on rear.  Takes a Popeye grip for an emergency stop.  Keeping the original forks in play limits one to using the original calipers due to the configuration of the way the caliper is connected to the fork.  A serious upgrade consists of swapping out the entire front end to gain better brakes (multi-piston calipers, dual rotors), springs, and front wheel, but also more modification to make it all fit and work properly.

Yep, she is street legal, horn, turn signals, etc., except for the exhaust; this beast is quite loud.  Since the photo I have installed a two-into-one exhaust and plan to try out a Super-Trap muffler that I can adjust to match to the carburetor jet sizing.
Put it into perspective; we live on a rock hurtling through space, what could be scarier than that?

gitano

Sheesh! I didn't realize how "Neanderthal" my '70 Honda 750-Four was. Since my '38 Indian and '54 Arial Square Four were both 'chopped', they didn't have their original 'amoebic' brake systems, but since they were assembled in the early '70s, I suppose they were Neanderthal too. We thought those front discs were pretty skookum at the time. Didn't realize how 'bad' they were.

Nice bike, Nels. It's great to see old bikes restored and road-worthy.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Brithunter

My 79 Triumph Bonnie 750 had single cast iron hard chrome plated disces front and rear the opposed piston Lockheed caliers front and back. Braking was excellent in fact one could get the rear wheel off the ground by grabbing the front brake lever.

Of course the Bonnie only weighed 395lbs dry and 424 wet factory weights. Jap bikes had dreadful brakes which is why they HAD to go to twin front discs. Plus the Jap frames had more in common with rubber bands than steel :nana: That is why Barry Sheen had a British company wrap a proper frame around his works Kawasaki without Kawasaki knowing about it.

The Virago was never a "nice" looking bike you have improved it no end :biggthumpup: .
Go Get them Floyd!

Nelsdou

A photo of my "Blued Tank" The tank really sucks up the light and my droid phone really has difficulty in focusing on metallic surfaces:

The frame on this Virago is a boxed member affixed the the engine cylinder heads and transmission, essentially the engine is a stressed member. This particular model has the mono-shock rear that many modern race bikes employ today.

Hear! Hear! My "proper" machine is a Triumph Thruxton, 2013 model with EFI and several "bits" added. Considered today as a "Retro" model, I believe it is the standard in coolness and performance, hands down, with heritage from the Bonneville.

Of course the Triumphs come with some other features than come in rather handy:

gitano

It's amusing to hear a Triumph bike revered over a "Jap" bike. I have considerable experience with both, (just as a 'kid' and owner, not a mechanic by any means), and you couldn't GIVE me a Triumph. They'll rattle your teeth out of your skull. That is if you can keep them from rattling apart. :kiss: There's just no accounting for taste. :D Just friendly ribbing akin to what I give to '06 owners. Don't anyone get too excited, please.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Brithunter

Ahhh Gitano actually I found it was the high frequency buzz vibrations from the jap bikes, especially the fours, that gave me grief. Rode several of friends 4's Honda, Suzuki and Kawasaki not to mention the triples like the Suzuki GT380 and Kawasaki 250 S1C that one really gave you a buzz massage. They sent my fingers numb! I graduated to the T140E (DMG 664V) from a 66 Norton Jubilee 250 (NPX 129D) that I bought in bits unseen over a drink at a friends stag night. The chap I bough it fromt bought it down from Northampton in the boot of His Hillman Avenger car over a couple of weeks it cost be the princely sum of £10. Of course it cost a bit more to rebuild it and in fact the engine was only good for parts to found one advertised locally for £20 and although claimed complete we discovered the  condensors were missing.

The Bonnie was English spec with the 4 gallon (Imp) tank in gold with tan panels and a brown seat cover with Triumph on the back in Gold. I swapped the Bonie handle bars for a set of low rise ones on a Yamaha RD 250 as the low Bonnie bars gave me apain in my shoulder.

My mate found the Bonnie so comfortable he used to fall asleep on the back coming back from his girlfriends. He could not ride at the time as was recovering from a nasty accident where he lost one finger and they saved another two on his left hand by sewing them back on. he was riding a Norton Commando Interstate Mk111 that was tweeked by Gus Khans in London. Race tuned it really did fly I have been on the back more than once when he had both wheels leave the road at the brow on Cockshot Hill on the A217 going north from  Woodhatch up to Reigate.

My last bike was built around an 84 Honda 750 FB DOHC using Yamah RD/XS 250/400 front wheel with 2nd disc added in teh Honda forks held in slab alloy yokes (triple trees) with XS 650 Custom rear wheel. the engine sat is a ridgid frame made by Cycle Haven of Lincoln with single cap mustang tank and bid box battery box one side and another the other side to hold the electronics. had the machine (thin down) the front discs to fit the Honda calipers on the front. oddly enough this didn't make my fingers numb and I thing it was because in the ridgid frame it had no rubber mounts and was all solidly mounted. The pipes were the FB front pipes cut off so they finished under the gear box.

Sold it when the knees were really playing up the cold on them was crippling.

Oh BTW in 79 the Bonnie cost £1725 new.
Go Get them Floyd!

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Best that can be said about a triumph (apart from the shake itself to bits) is that it was good at stopping the ground going rusty. I have to agree with Paul, you could not give me one - bone shaking PO*.
Kawasaki triples were always a soft spot for me and bruv has a stable of 'em. I have an Aprilia RS250 in the garage which I modified the front end to take the RSV Mille forks n brakes, need to swap out the wiring loom as speedo etc is electronic fed off of sensor on rear socket...

Not mine but same as!
Turvey Stalking
Learn from the Limeys or the Canucks, or the Aussies, or the Kiwis, or the...
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

gitano

WOW!

You guys have some NICE bikes!

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

drinksgin (deceased)

.I am coming to this very late.
I started riding in 1953, a blistering hot Whizzer sportsman, 3 whole hp, 35 mph, slipping belt clutch, single speed.
Moved up to a CZ 125, 50 mph.
Next was a cushman Eagle, 8hp , 2 speed , centrifugal clutch,
Then a WA, Harley, 45 ci. v , 75  mph ,

Actuallyhad 4 at one time or the other, at the surplus prices you could buy them in bunches, same as with bananas.
Then a 49Hydra glide, 74 cu. 100 mph, +.
Then a Sportster, 55cu. 120+ mph.
About then , 1963, I started a M/C shop, Jawa and Suzuki, had a bunch go through as trades, one of the most interesting was a Zundapp, flat twin, transmission did not have gears, replaced with chain and sprockets, did not last long.
Another was the American Indian, 442 cc VT,cute, trash !
I even had an original Triumph come through, a Boss, weird, a VT with only one spark plug, made in the original plant in Germany, whick is where Triumph originated, not GB.
It was NOT a pumper twin such as the S-D-P things Sears sold.
My last machine was a BMW R100, sold it to Alboy several years ago.
Ah, me.Just getting old and moldy!
NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, GOA, CCRKBA, DEF -CON

drinksgin (deceased)

Forgot my DuoGlide, a '59 and my frankencycle.
H-D bought Aeromachhi,started importing some under the H-D name , a C, 300x17 wheels and 18 hp, then a CH, 3.50 x18 wheels and 21 hp and finally an H, 3.50x18 wheels and 25hp.
I had a CH, the sorry rear spring/ shocks lost all the oil by 3 months, A friend had a totaled BSA 500, I salvaged the spring/shocks, rigged them up, worked, raised the machine about 1-1/2'.
I picked up a junked Zundapp Sabre, long travel forks and a 3.50-19 front wheel, I fitted that and seriously improved the off road handling, Started winning or placing in enduros.
Paul, how did your squirely 4 do on head gaskets?
We had a local with an Arial 500 twin, no problems, but the 3 who had the 4's rarely got a month out of a head gasket.
There was a bronze head and 2 aluminum heads.
Lapping did not help, there was not much thickness so a lot of milling was out, lapping the block did not help, either.
They seemed to be as troublesome as Ace/ Indian inline 4"s were.
Just not good air circulation and cooling.
NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, GOA, CCRKBA, DEF -CON

Tags: