Yukon men

Started by davidlt89, November 18, 2015, 03:58:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davidlt89

So I am going through the channels the other day and land of the show "Yukon Men". I have never watched it but I looked at the info on this certain show and it was focusing on the "dangers" of bears, so it got my attention.

the premise was this little town that was on "bear alert" and having a bear problem, essentially they were seeing bears, kinda like I do year round!!! So it starts out on how "dangerous" the bear is and how the town is on high alert, yadda, yadda.

Then a husband pulls into his yard, gets out of his truck and yells over to his wife who is with his daughter and says he just seen a bear and it did not go up the trail they usually use so it must be right in the woods.

Startling music comes on (thought I was watching Jaws) and the mother sticks her daughter under her arm like a baby bird and they "race" to the house. The mother comes out with a rifle just short of a .50 BMG and heads to where the bear was seen.

Now I am kinda skeptical at this point but I don't know anything about the big brown bears so I keep watching. She goes into the woods and "tracks" the bear and then pulls up and shoots. of course they did not show her going up to the bear, they immediately take us to them hanging up the bear.

Now, as stated I figured this was on the big brown bears, which can indeed be dangerous, what she shot was nothing more than a year and half old black bear that was probably less than 4ft long!!!

All this suspense over a bear I could of killed with a knife! then they play it up how much of a threat this animal was, etc.....

Now I don't live in Alaska but have heard Paul mentions some of the rules on just shooting animals, even if they are a threat. It seems you need a darn good reason to just shoot a bear. she just grabbed a gun and killed it, and technically, all it did was walk through their yard for 2 seconds. SHE hunted it down and then just shot it.

I have had bear bigger than that on my doorstep! I have also been very close to them many times and never felt threatened. I have the feeling this show is nothing but drama. Oh, they used about 10 men to get it out of the woods when one could of just put it on his back! My rant is over! God bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Modern TV for the 'men without chests' to borrow a phrase.
Turvey Stalking
Learn from the Limeys or the Canucks, or the Aussies, or the Kiwis, or the...
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

gitano

I don't watch Alaska-themed shows AT ALL because they are ALL fundamentally bull manure. "Ice Road", "Alaska State Troopers", "The Most Dangerous Game" or whatever the crab-fishing show is called. I know most of the boat captains, and wouldn't spit on them if they were on fire.

As for the legality of shooting the bear: Probably fully legal. There are many parts of the state in which the bear season is year-round and the bag limit at least 3. In some areas they are even part of a "predator control" program and there is no bag limit. The only constraints on bears other than season is the prohibition against shooting sows with cubs. I THINK it might be illegal to shoot cubs, but I'm not sure.

NO TRAPPING! You'll be sent straight to hell, after being drawn and quartered.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Paul Hoskins

What jOe blOggs said again. These programs are so silly I have to gag when I cross one going thru the channels. Even the National Geographic channel is getting in the same shape. I dropped my membership years ago after being a member for 20 years. Most all TV programs suck. Commercials aren't much worse than the programs. At least they flip thru commercials so fast you have no idea what they're advertising. TV programs have become so boring & stupid my wife & I have lowered out standards to the point we watch Tom & Jerry re runs. That's desperation. As for bears, I never met one I didn't like even tho a couple or three wanted to bite my rear. One that charged for no apparent reason just seemed eager  to make my acquaintance.   ....Paul H

Jamie.270

Does anyone else find it odd that in a show titled "Yukon Men" the woman shot the bear?

Things like that make me go,... Huh?
QuoteRestrictive gun laws that leave good people helpless, don\'t have the power to render bad people harmless.

To believe otherwise is folly. --  Me

drinksgin (deceased)

Jamie, remember what the French say, "Chercez la fem!'
I do not watch TV, other than a few  minutes of weather and Fox news to have some racket while I cook supper.
Getting old and grumpy!

:MOGRIN:
NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, GOA, CCRKBA, DEF -CON

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

I hate discovery for the never ending repeating itself, maybe ok for people with the attention span of a tsetse fly.
Gave up TV a few years ago, couldn't stand the bbc lefty bias and awful offerings.  TV 'license' is ~$220 now, not paying that for the garbage!
Can find the news and weather online!
Turvey Stalking
Learn from the Limeys or the Canucks, or the Aussies, or the Kiwis, or the...
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

jaeger88

I switched to a channel the other evening, that wasn't The Discovery Channel.

I was expecting to find a show about wildlife in Alaska, as the show was called "Wild West Alaska". How wrong could I be ?.

It turns out the show was about a gunmakers !.

In the first scene there was 3 or 4 guys hiding behind a pile of crates  or something, inside their workshop, with a length of string tied to  the trigger of the barreled action of a lever action rifle, that was  balanced/wedged/jammed in the top of couple of crates. ( VERY  professional I thought ).
The string was pulled & the gun  promptly blew up, splitting the action in two & bursting the chamber  of the barrel about up to the rifling.

The comment from the  "Boss", was that he had maybe shaved too much metal from the action to  save some weight & had therefore made it too weak. Though if that  were the case, it doesn't really account for the chamber failure. But  then I'm no gunsmith !.

Well call me cynical, but it was at this point that I checked to see if I was on the "Comedy Central" channel.  Seems not .

Then  another "gunsmith", assembled a cut down pump shotgun, ( a Mossberg I  believe ), that was "chopped" to fit on the frame of some guys mountain  bike for self defense.

Fair enough I thought, not a bad idea, wouldn't mind one myself.

The  "gunsmith" & another expert decided to test fire the shotgun at a  Water Melon, on a table, at I guess 5 yards. And promptly missed it with  the first 4 or 5 rounds. They then reloaded, fired again, & missed a  couple more time, there was then some slow motion video of some Melons  being hit, supposedly by these two.......er.......experts, with this  shotgun.

There were other bits in the show that were equally as captivating.
But by this time my eyes had glazed over, & I was thinking I maybe needed more alcohol, or maybe Id already had too much.

I mentioned this show to j0e_bl0ggs, & he said this "gunmaker" actually exists!.

Well  Ive watched "Sons of Guns", & "American Gun", & thought some  things they do in those shows are questionable, but at least they don't  deliberately let themselves come across as a bunch of fools.  

My  apologies to the "stars" of "Wild West Alaska" if I have maligned there  good characters, but the show just came across as a joke, & if I  may say, not a sparkling advert for their gunmaking capabilities.
I cant believe in fate.
If the futures all worked out, horoscopes & all that, it means none of us are responsible for anything we do, it means we are just actors in a script written by someone else. I dont believe that.

sakorick

The only one I watch is the TV series Gold Rush. I like to keep up with the Brat, Parker Schnabel and the crazy Dutch-Canadian Tony Beets. Tony purchased a old floating placer dredge and has it working on the Indian River wherever that is. They are constantly tearing up equipment and destroying good trout fishing water. When they are finished mining a claim it looks like pictures the Mars Rover took. At any rate, they aren't even mining in Alaska, they are in the Yukon.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

gitano

"Wild" Bill West has a gun shop in Anchorage called "Wild West Guns". I've done business with him once. That was twice too many. If what you saw was about his place - and it probably was - there was a lot BS for the TV cameras. I don't like the guy - A LOT - but he doesn't employ stupid "gunsmiths". If anything, they err on the side of caution. This isn't an endorsement. While his conversions are practical, utilitarian, and sound, his business practices leave a lot to be desired and he is WAY too proud of his products. I wouldn't do business with him again if he was the only gun store in Alaska.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Tags: