Best place to shoot an elk?

Started by m gardner, February 09, 2005, 07:59:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

m gardner

I' ve been studying elk since I've come to Colorado and have come to some conclusions about whre to shoot them. Being grazers instead of browsers they have a much larger stomach than deer. All the deer I've shot a little too far back have been quite nice about dying quickly because the vitals go back nearly to the short ribs. On an elk you need to stay closer to the front leg to get the vitals and if they have a stomach full of grass and have watered, the vitals get pushed even further forward or so it seems upon autopsy of several. This leads me to believe that the legends about elk being bulletproof are about elk shot too far back to get the vitals. My wife and I have easily killed them with a 243, a 25-06, a 30-06 and my favorite a 270. The 270 killed the biggest, a bull pushing 1000 pounds on the hoof with one shot. Oh yeah the 44 mag works too. But notwithstanding, my favorite place to shoot them is very close to a road! What do you think? God bless and good shooting.

Kanibal

I have seen elk shot in the neck and behind the front shoulder.  I have seen elk hunters put an arrow too far back behind the shoulder and we then had a three mile track on our hands.  From what Ive seen if your not sure to hit them in the vitals a good shot directly in the shoulder will bring an elk down.  Also for your convenience lead them into the back of your truck and then shoot them.

-Richard
-Richard

azhdryder

My favorite place is about 100 yds up a fairly steep hill from the truck. It just slides down and self loads. Just my .02
Amatuers talk rifles

Enthusiasts talk ammo

Professonals talk Wind

Vermonster

Darn it AZHDRYDER.... I was just about to answer the same thing..... :p

azhdryder

V,  we grew up in the same place, and seems like we think a little bit alike as well.
Amatuers talk rifles

Enthusiasts talk ammo

Professonals talk Wind

Brithunter

Hi All,

May I just say thamk you for this little titbit of information:D  every little bit helps;)  I particulay like the  one about the pick up truck;)  however I will certainly remember to try and make sure it's uphill from where I need toget it shouod I ever be lucky.
Go Get them Floyd!

Hunterbug

Near the road is so true. A couple years ago my friends cow dropped literaly 5 feet from the road. He went back for the truck, we dressed her and with one good heave she was in the back. It was a beautiful thing. Mine was 250 yards from the road but it was up a steep hill in the snow so it wasn't so bad. This year it was over 300 yards down the hill so we quartered and packed it. As for shot placement, 1/3 of the way up tight behind the shoulder.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

Vermonster

Quote from: azhdryderV, we grew up in the same place, and seems like we think a little bit alike as well.

Vermont?????? :confused:

azhdryder

Amatuers talk rifles

Enthusiasts talk ammo

Professonals talk Wind

m gardner

I must tell you why I want to shoot one from the road. The first one I shot was in the middle of a large slide. I shot him across the top of the shoulders and hit the spine. (I'm from Vermont originally and used my 7600 remington pump with receiver sight) Not knowing how big the bones were I used a 180 grain Core-lokt bullet. It smashed the near shoulder and came apart when it hit the spine knocking him out for a short time. Just long enough for me to put my gun in the antlers and start taking pictures. After I wrestled my gun away from him I shot him in the head and began packing him out. It took a day to bone him and get him to the bottom of the slide where I made camp and slept with the meat to keep the bears off it. One and one half days later I had him home. The rest I've killed were'nt near as bad but when you have to hunt public land it's tough. Not like the Outdoor Channel.

Vermonster

Sorry to hijack a thread, but Man, we've got alot of Vermonsters here... Cool....  Where abouts are you all from?????  I'm from Swanton.

Anyone??

m gardner

I'm from Bennington and am currently living in Battlement Mesa. God's country,

Ultrahunter

I am not sure there is a bad place to shoot an elk as far as near or far from the road, I have done both and it is always a chore.  As far as shot placement goes I think most will agree that the best place to shoot an elk is tight behind the shoulders, and then repeat until they tip over.  Bottom line is never assume they are going down, ammo is cheap so keep pumping them in until they fall over.  they're always easier to trail when you see them go down.

Tags: