Son's first bear!

Started by davidlt89, August 29, 2015, 05:33:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davidlt89

Today was Maine's first ever youth day bear hunt. Apparently this was not well know as the tagging station just found out about it today, but we were all over it. We got up at 5:00am as I have had pictures from all times of day.

Had to poke my son twice but he made it out of bed. I got some coffee and he had some hot choclate. I had the 25-06 ready in the corner and a nice rest in front of the window for him. 115gr berger VLD's were waiting on the pellet stove.

We seen nothing all day, then at 5:40pm, a bear I nicknamed "little Johnny" showed up. I had my two younger boys also and they had instructions to get on the couch and "hush up" while their older brother took care of business.

My son was cool a cucumber, I was the one that was a mess! bear was face on for 10-15 seconds. I was saying shoot, don't shoot, etc... luckily he "blocked" me out and stuck to the plan we had talked about, waiting for a broadside shot.

I had the video camera and I could not stop shaking! The bear got up into the barrel and my son let it rip. I could not tell if he hit it or not. We through on some pants and walked down to look.

I could not find a drop of blood anywhere so we went into the woods where they have a nice trail beaten down and I looked for 15 min or so and just could not see anything. I met up with my son and told him it did not look good. He was not happy! Halfway back to the field you could see a little trail off of that trail and I decided to "have a look".

It was very thick and I knelt down to take a little look around and by the Grace of God I found some blood. I immediately yelled out I had found some blood and then looked to my right and the little bear was piled up about 5 yards away.

My son asked if he could look and I said of course he could. It was so thick in there that when he got next to me I almost had to walk up to the bear so he could find it.

I grabbed the bear and started dragging but I was taking to many breaks so he thought he should drag and I figured why should I stand in his way:biggthumpup:

He got it to the field and I took the picture and got it sent out to the necessary people. we walked back to the house and my middle son wanted to drive the four wheeler down there so we said ok. got the bear loaded up and drove it up by the house and got it gutted then called the tagging station who had just learned about youth day today. they said bring it on down they are open to nine.

So we loaded it up and got it tagged, then got it home and it is hanging in the basement ready to be processed tomorrow!!!

So my son is pleased as this was his only day to hunt with soccer and hockey try outs the next two weekends. Looks like its dads turn:smiley: God Bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

Hunterbug

Congratulations to you both.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Turvey Stalking
Learn from the Limeys or the Canucks, or the Aussies, or the Kiwis, or the...
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

Alboy

"My son was cool a cucumber, I was the one that was a mess!"

Aint it fun though!
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

gitano

OUTSTANDING!

Congratulations to all!

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Paul Hoskins

That's just great, David. Congrat's to all involved. David, it's usually difficult to find a blood trail with bears in the woods. Too much fat to block bullet holes & blood. Nothing like tracking deer. ......Paul H.......Joe, thanks for getting me sorted out. .....ph.....

recoil junky

My oldest was "cool as a cucumber" with his first elk too. Then he walked up to it.

Great job David and Son, great job!!!

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

davidlt89

Thank you gentlemen, it was truly a special time, one we will never forget!
Yeah, I was a wreck, just don't know why?? I just could not hold that video camera still, it is pretty comical.
QuoteDavid, it's usually difficult to find a blood trail with bears in the woods. Too much fat to block bullet holes & blood
Out of 11 bear, I have only tracked one by blood! I double lunged one one year and it still did not bleed on the ground, I had to find it the next day.

On a side note, I had another bear the same size as the one my son shot, come out monday night at 7:35, shooting light ended at 7:44. He came out and laid down face onto my house and was eating away. I got him in the scope and all I had was his head. With low light already here I decided to try to take him..................BIG MISS! I called my son and told him and then told him he may need to show me how to do it and he would say what he could do.

Sooooo. I was typing this another bear showed up. long story short hit in the briskit....no blood...no bear. I have put the 7mm mag away for further inspection and pulled out the 25-06. Funny thing was I was worried about my son making a 157 yard shot...looks like I worried about the wrong person!!! God Bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

Tags: