Gardening

Started by barbararose, June 07, 2015, 07:09:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

barbararose

How does your garden grow ?

gitano

A bit terse for a new member, Barbararose. Not much to latch onto there. However, here's a likewise response:

Pretty good. ;)

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

sakorick

Quote from: barbararose;139694How does your garden grow ?

Welcome to THL. I don't have a garden. A friend in town, Cleo has the best garden in Linneus. I make .243 bullets for him and he keeps me in Tomatoes, Squash, Zucchini and pole beans. I have easily the best deal. Regards, Rick.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

drinksgin (deceased)

Mine could be the origin of the nursery rhyme about "Mistress Mary, quite contrary"
Oh well. I am eating fresh peppers at all times.

:daisy::MOGRIN:
NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, GOA, CCRKBA, DEF -CON

sakorick

Actually, I do have a garden of sorts.....91 acres of Soy Beans. I'm going to pick some young'uns and give them a try this year. From the internet...."Edamame, or young green soybeans, are a great source of protein. Getting an adequate amount of protein in your diet can actually give your metabolism a boost. Just one half-cup serving of edamame provides 8 grams of protein – triple the amount of protein you'd get from most other vegetables. They steam in minutes and are perfect to eat as a snack or add to a salad." And more....." A one-half-cup serving of boiled soybeans contains 150 calories and provides you with 14 grams of protein, 10 grams of fat and 10 grams of carbohydrate. This includes 5 grams of dietary fiber and only 1 gram of saturated fat. Most of the fat in soybeans is the healthy unsaturated kind, including omega-3 fatty acids in the form of alpha-linolenic acid, which makes up about 7 percent of the fat in soybeans. Omega-3 fats are important for growth and development and brain function, and fiber helps you feel full on fewer calories and limits your risk for health conditions including heart disease, diabetes and digestive issues."

Planting done....doesn't take long with this beastie!

gitano

Been eatin' edamame for about 15 years. Love it/them! Of course it doesn't grow up here so we buy frozen in plastic bags. Also can get fresh "in the pod". Those are fun to shell and eat.

You've also go sunflowers in your "garden", Rick as well as flowering plants in your sun-room/greenhouse.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

sakorick

True......two acres of Peradovic Sunflowers and hopefully some Blue Geranium. The seeds got mixed together so I won't know what I have until they bloom.

drinksgin (deceased)

BR, my garden grows about like mistress Mary in the nursery rhyme,
I am getting in poor shape, so my garden is some tomatoes and peppers in pots and some onion and garlic chives  as well as evergreen multiplying onions, the last 3 because they grow with very little help or input from me, a bit of fertilizer now and again and pick some and enjoy.
I have the opposite problem with tomatoes, as Paul, they do not set fruit when the temperature gets much above 90', so I have to get early tomatoes in very early spring or mid summer so they will start to bear in the fall before the first frost.
There seem to be complications to gardening most everywhere.

gitano

Sounds like there are just problems growing tomatoes. I hate them.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

drinksgin (deceased)

There are locations where tomatoes are an easy crop.
When we lived at Rockport, I grew a LOT of nice tomatoes, the climate there is mild, rarely gets to 90' usually only one or 2 freezes a year,  deep sand that holds the rain well and the principal problem is furry!
The place is over run with fox squirrels and they really enjoy a nice ripe tomato.
I planted some cherry tomatoes around the edge of the garden with the slicers in the middle, watched many ripe cherries get turned into squirrel, usually the varmits would eat the whole thing and leave the slicers alone.
Pears were another story, seems squirrels like their pears about 2-3 weeks before people consider them ripe so most get stolen by the varmits!
Oh, well , squirrels one place, meeses another!!!
A moose does eat a lot more than a squirrel, though.

gitano

Man's struggle "against" Nature...

Paul

PS - I still hate tomatoes.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

drinksgin (deceased)

It is summer, fer sure, 100' . second day !

barbararose

I have too much garden for the city water supply in record heat here.  

So as to see what I need to learn about posting pictures I'll try a rose from the entrance to the house which faces south.

To the left is chamomile which is now a welcome weed in my yard; to the right is lavender in a pot.  Some of my lavenders suffered from my ignorance and neglect.

The city is upheaving my main garden soon to install a new water line.  After that I'll
redesign it all to meet the new realities of heat and water.

gitano

Three plants I really like: chamomile (a ubiquitous "weed" in AK), rose, and lavender. Lavender is an 'annual' in AK, but I grow it every year nonetheless. We put it in our home-made soap.

Speaking of soap, we started making our own when my wife - the science teacher - started making it in her chemistry classes. Now, I wouldn't have anything else. I still use Lava (soap) for my dirty hands, but I we don't buy commercial "bath" soap at all any more. I wish I could say it was cheaper but it isn't. We don't make anything 'special' at all. It's just that we use coconut oil for the "fat", and coconut oil isn't cheap. It's also tedious. Still, it's just too good to "go back". "Nice" to my skin and lathers LIKE CRAZY. (I use it for shaving instead of shaving cream.)

Sorry to divert your thread Barbara.

I like roses, but I don't grow them. We have one that does well up here - "rugosa". I have been tempted to put a couple of bushes in, but never got "a round tuit". I have a LOT of wild roses on the property and they provide all the hips I need for jelly and tea. Strangely enough, I have very little chamomile on my property. Thinking about it, I can't think of a single plant. It literally carpets every 'ball field' in the state, and most sidewalk cracks. The ubiquitous weed at my place is chickweed. I don't 'despise' it. I think it is a pretty little ground-cover. It's relatively easy to keep out of the garden, IF one stays ahead of it. Once it gets a good foothold, 'drastic' measure are usually required to get rid of it.

Thanks for posting the picture. "Keep those cards and letters coming in".

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

barbararose

Backatcha.

I came online to see whether anyone has
made zucchini bread by just adding grated
zucchini to a cake mix.

Yup.

FWIW  rhubarb is easy to cook in the microwave.  Sugar to taste:  up to equal parts;
2 minutes full power in Pyrex with space to
boil.

Pictured:

a squash/pumpkin cross pollinated ?
how to tell borage from comfrey
Brandywine tomato
zucchini and rhubarb
rose Abraham Darby
present residents of greenhouse
photographed via a mirror
( long story )

Tags: