16 Gauge Slug Mold

Started by gitano, April 23, 2015, 07:50:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gitano

I've been looking for a 16 gauge slug mold for a LONG time. Recently I went looking for a mold for the recently purchased Cape Gun chambered in 16 gauge and 10.15x61r Jarmann, which has a bore of about 0.406". I found this place: http://accuratemolds.com/index.php

This is quite a place! This fellow does NOT use a "cherry" to make his molds. Instead, he uses a CNC lathe. What that means is:
1) The cost of a CUSTOM mold is the exact same as a "catalog" mold. There is no "set-up" fee.
2) Within his machinery constraints, there is pretty much nothing one can't have. (Have a look at his constraints. They're very wide.)
3) DELIVERY TIME IS THREE WEEKS!
4) Cost for a single-cavity, aluminum mold is $77 without handles. The same mold in brass is $90; in steel, $123. (These for the 16 ga bullet mold. Smaller bullets are less in brass and steel.)

Here's a 600-grain (1 3/8ths ounce), 16 gauge bullet:

I'm pretty jacked up about this! I've been looking for a 16 gauge cast bullet mold for a LONG time! Now I can even design my own if I care to! This a big deal to me.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

drinksgin (deceased)

Paul, I saw a thread on another forum, could have kicked myself for not thinking about it my self.
Mold handles, go to the dollar store, but a cheap pair of gas pliers, thin the jaws to suit the slots on the mold, drill and pin.
$3!!!!!!!!!!
NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, GOA, CCRKBA, DEF -CON

gitano

I'm likin' it! I've thought of making my own, but never wanted to go to the trouble. Your idea would be NO trouble. However, I learned recently that there is SOME "figuring" for the 'parallelism' of the jaws relative to the holes. When it's wrong, the mold doesn't close properly. I'm quite certain that a $3 pair of pliers could be made 'right'. Also need some sort of 'insulator' on the handles. I have a unitized solid brass mold for .358. Those handles get HOT!

Thanks!

Did you look at the Accurate Molds site?

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

drinksgin (deceased)

Yes, it is interesting, only thing , there is no .257 , .244 or .225 available and those are the ones I am most interested in.

gitano

Yeah, he says .30 cal is as small as he goes, but he has some .27 caliber molds in his catalog. Smaller molds for .257 and .22 are of interest to me too, but those ARE obtainable elsewhere. However, I've NEVER seen a 16 ga mold, and for some reason, even the custom mold makers don't "want" to make a 0.406-ish mold. I tried to get some interest at Cast Boolits and NOE for a 0.406 Jarmann but I was clearly shouting into the abyss. Not a single response on the NOE site, and only a 'comment' at Cast Boolits. There just doesn't seem to be the interest.

I have the 0.406 coming in from Accurate Molds today. I'll check it out and if I like it, I'll order one to make 16 gauge slugs. Maybe two: One for rifled barrels and one for smoothbore barrels.

Now just to find someone to make some 16 gauge rifled barrels. PacNor does not. I called and spoke directly with them on the matter.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

drinksgin (deceased)

Paul ,I  have thought on this subject,can you find alloy, precision tubing in the bore size of 16ga.?
Is there a rifled 16 ga. choke insert available?
Can you make a 16 ga. button rifling insert and modify the barrel you wish to shoot the slugs out of?
Can you get a 16ga. barrel , fit it to the gun you want to shoot and rifle it .008- .010 oversize?
Making the cast bullet a bit larger is easy.

drinksgin (deceased)

Look at the site, "Aladdin Steel Inc", check the seamless steel tubing sizes available.
there are some that are just under 16ga, (.662") and might be suitable for fitting to an action.

gitano

I have one rifled 16 ga, the French "Boar Gun": http://www.thehunterslife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15160&highlight=Boar
The Gualandi slug works fairly well, but they'r approaching $1 each, and of course, there is little in the form of 'custom'.

I've been a little way down the "make your own barrel" path. I'd like to make a rifling cutter, but from all I can tell, it's not a 'casual' project.

Anyway, I'll keep looking, and waiting for you to find one for me. :D

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

drinksgin (deceased)

TOTW has bullet molds for .401, .406, .410 and .412".
They also have a .662" ball mold. I have not found a .662" bullet mold.

gitano

Thanks! I should have thought of Track of the Wolf http://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/1203/1/LYMAN-662

I also should have been more specific: Gotta have a gas check. Your gas-check-cutting device would cut a gas check on almost any bullet, but I'd have to make a 0.406-ish collet. However, it's moot now that I have ordered exactly what I want from Accurate Molds.

The precast .662 round balls (RB) are $11.30 for TWENTY FIVE of them. $45 per hundred (PLUS S&H). That's as much as many "premium" jacketed bullets. Hence my search for a mold. The Lyman .662 mold is "fine" except for the $73 price tag. I think I could find that cheaper. In fact, Accurate will make a double cavity, aluminum mold of two different types for $114. That way I could have a 'bullet' and a RB for essentially $57 each plus $6 S&H.

Rifled barrels are a different matter altogether.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

drinksgin (deceased)

I would wonder about one point, will you use enough balls to cover the cost of a mold?
Would it be cheaper to just get a few balls and see if you  even want a mold?
I am still looking for a rifled .662 " barrel or add on choke.

drinksgin (deceased)

I have not found a rifled 16 ga.barrel except for a very few made for a 37 Ithaca.
I get mixed reports on the rifled chokes .
Sounds as though it could be possible to get a full choke screw in choke or a poly choke and rifle it .
Someone should do that at a reasonably outrageous price or you can make a button and push it through with a fairly simple rig.
Nothing so far looks very promising .
You might do some good with TruLock  and they may be a complete waste of time.
I shall keep an eye open, but hope is fast fading.

gitano

WRT using enough balls to justify the cost of a mold: An excellent point. All I would add is that such a mold MIGHT add sufficient value to a firearm if it was sold "with the mold" to justify the cost.

Good luck - to both of us - for you to find anything "rifled" in 16 ga.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Tags: