Another first!

Started by davidlt89, March 16, 2015, 05:11:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davidlt89

So I get a call from one of my coyote hunting buddies friday night that he has a coyote for me!!! So I head out and get it and get it back to my house. I was corresponding with Aperters at the time and she "needled me" to wait so she could try her hand at skinning or at least watch. So because I am a big "softy", I waited till sunday to get this bad boy going.

All in all, a good education, if you can case skin this bad boy you are pretty much all set with anything else!! only other things to learn is an otter tail which is "tricky". Heres ashlee going at it!!!! God Bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

gitano

Great picture! "You go, girl!"

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

apeters24

Thanks, Paul!

I had a bit of trouble getting it started.  But once I reached this point, I was good to go.  David did do the front legs down to the head, I guess I'm not qualified to do that, yet!  I did grab the knife from his hands a few times though!

I'm a little nervous thinking come fall I'll have to do this MYSELF.  It's tough, and a lot of work!

As for David saying he's a "softy" -- I hope you're not
 fooled!  I wouldn't have known OR inquired, if he hadn't thrown the picture in my face!  He knew I'd ask, I love this stuff!

gitano

I see a coyote skin hanging in the background. Have we heard about that one?

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

apeters24

Another friend of David shot that one a few weeks ago!  These guys basically live out in shacks to hunt them.  And let me tell you, with the COLD temperatures we've had this winter, more "power" to them!  It's been unbearable for those of us that can't hunt from our living room!  ;)

davidlt89

Ahslee is correct! I enlisted the help of the best 3 coyote hunters up here I know to secure some pelts. One said he would give me his coyotes but has not bought his license yet so I question his commitment!

The coyote you asked about in the background was shot by another friend who gets paid by the state to hunt coyotes. He has shot as many as 60 in one winter. The one ahslee is skinning was by one of my good friends from my home town.

QuoteThese guys basically live out in shacks to hunt them.
Not entirely true!! The guy that shot the first coyote is paid by the state and has been know to spend the night out there, but the guy that shot the coyote ashlee is skinning only gets to hunt fridays and saturdays and he does not spend hours out there. He just has a couple good spots.

both of these guys are not doing so good though. There is a guy in the area that has been running them with his dogs and he knows these guys shoot coyotes so he has been running his dogs in their spots where there baits are when they are at work. Needless to say there is some "bad blood" going around.

I expected to have at least 30 by this time, but they are struggling and the only sound reason is the guy running the dogs. The guy that shot the coyote in the picture has moved to a "private" spot and is getting some good action and pictures. First time he sat on it was this friday night and had this dog down in the first 30 minutes. He shot another one saturday morning but pretty much blew the whole right flank off the coyote. He said he would give me all his coyotes but he refuses to use anything smaller than a .270!!!! And he is using a combined technology ballistic silvertip!!! There was not much I could do with the second one, I am not a magician!!!
QuoteIt's been unbearable for those of us that can't hunt from our living room!
I don't know how much of advantage it is having only shot one coyote this year!!!!

Ashlee has a great spot but time for her is certainly a factor and so is a 4 year old!! I believe if she had some more time she would do really well there!!! it is a 20 mile drive for me so not much interest. God Bless.

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

gitano

If the dogs are running on private property, shoot them. I'm unsympathetic to "Dogs can't read
'no trespassing' signs". The owners can and they run them KNOWING EXACTLY where they are going to go. This is a growing problem in the South where it is legal to course deer with dogs. I wouldn't shoot anyone's dogs without trying to resolve the issue verbally first. However, I've yet to see dog runners respond to anything but legal action and/or killing their dogs.

If your coyote-hunting friends aren't on private property, then they've just been out-competed for the resource. Sucks, but they have no legal recourse.

What are you getting for green coyote?

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

davidlt89

they are not on private property!! but the guy is being a "poop head"!! lots of places to run the dogs. luckily it is not me, I would shoot them anyway, "looked liked a coyote to me".

Im not sure what coyotes are going for, gonna find out in a couple weeks! nafa is having a huge auction. I have beaver, otter, coons, coyotes, and muskrats in this one.

gitano

Please let us know. I suspect I am not the only one interested in wholesale fur prices.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

davidlt89

QuotePlease let us know. I'm suspect I am not the only one interested in wholesale fur prices.
Will do!!! I am excited to see myself. this is the biggest auction I have ever seen them have! it last 6 days and has everything!!! Maybe I can figure out how to take some screen shots with this laptop!!! God Bless.

Tags: