Awright, I'm a believer...

Started by gitano, March 04, 2015, 04:37:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gitano

So, j0e_bl0ggs has been extolling the virtues of Anschutz rifles, and particularly their target rifles with model 54 actions. I recently found a Match, Model 54 for a very good price, ($825) and was compelled to purchase it due to the price and condition. While the stock has been handled by someone that was most likely a competition shooter, and they don't particularly take care of where or how they lay their firearms around, it isn't in bad shape. Just 'rubbed' and 'dented' where one would expect.

A couple of years ago, j0e_bl0ggs having parted with his match Anschutz but not its 'accouterments', sent me both the "target" sights, AND a target 'scope, both specifically designed for the Anschutz match rifle. The day after I got the rifle I put the "target" sights on the rifle a took a couple of shots. Really extraordinary 'open' sights, but I didn't have time to set up a target and get those sights 'sighted in'. j0e_bl0ggs admonished me to put the 'scope on and do some more serious shooting. I still wasn't able to get much time today, but I did get a target set up and shot a few rounds.

I started off at 30 meters and fired a couple of rounds to see if the 'scope, simply installed without adjustment might be "on paper". It wasn't. So I removed the bolt and commenced to bore sight the 'scope. There were a couple of issues:
1) I can't see the full view of the 'scope's field of view unless my eye is less than an inch from the ocular. This puts the tip of my nose forward of the rear of the bolt when the gun is mounted to my shoulder, and that is with the 'scope as far rearward as I can make it go. A lot like looking through a microscope.
2) I ran out of elevation and windage before I could get the crosshairs on the bullseye as seen through the bore. I will have to spend some time on Skype with j0e_bl0ggs going over some of the physical settings on the 'scope.

Nonetheless, I was able to get the sight picture from the 'scope and through the bore to be close enough to be on the same piece of 8.5"x11" piece of paper, so I aimed at the center bull, and shot five rounds. As the title of this thread says, "I'm a believer". Have a gander:

You'll have to take my word for it, but I wasn't even trying to shoot the smallest group I could. I was just 'pointing' in the 'center' of the bull and firing. I didn't measure the group, but outside to outside is less than 0.5". Subtract 0.22" from that, and you get about a quarter of an inch. I know it's only 33 yards, but still, considering 'random' ammo and no effort at precision, I'm quite impressed.

Here's a picture of the rifle with the 'scope on it:

I'll take a better picture next time I shoot it.

Here's the ammo I used:

Next time I'll strap on the Magnetospeed and see what the muzzle velocity variation is, and see how some Aguila SSSs do both for gyroscopic stabilization, MV, variation, and precision. Maybe tomorrow.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

branxhunter

Yep, once your 22h turns up as well you are gonna be a convert....:MOGRIN:

Marcus

gitano

I'm afraid I've already been 'ruined', Marcus! Hornet should be in Anchorage today or tomorrow.

Talked to j0e_bl0ggs about the 'scope and between us we came up with a 'plan'. Mostly, it was just try again and focus on the 'scope and not the shooting. That worked, and I got the thing figured out. I also reattached the diopter "target" sights but they didn't prove as satisfying as the 'scope did once I got it set up properly. I think it was mostly just 'stiffness' from lack of use. It needed to be 'worked' a bit.

As promised, I strapped on the Magnetospeed (some of the best money I have EVER spent on reloading, and firearms in general), and tested two types of ammo: 1) The "Blazer" ammo I shot before, and 2) The Aguila 60-grain, SSS.

I used the Blazer ammo to sight the scope in, and you'll see why when I show you the targets.

Here's the 'sighting in' target. You'll note the small group in the lower left quadrant that I shot yesterday. Some of the 'spraying' is turning the knobs the wrong way.:frown The bottom 'row' of four shots are the final before shooting for a group. I didn't like aiming in the middle of a big, black spot. No 'exact' point of aim, so I chose to aim at intersections of lines.

Here is the "for group" target. The point of aim is tip of the arrow.

Not quite a good as yesterday's group, but still 'nice'. I'll correlate the shot sequence with their MVs below.

Here is the Aguila SSS 5-shot "group".

OY! BUT... I suspected as much. 1:16 twist barrels just do not stabilize this bullet at near sea level and 'cold' air. Just ain't gonna happen. What I do find interesting is that my other .22 rifles that don't shoot as straight as the Anschutz, make MUCH smaller groups with the SSS. I'll have to think about that some more.

The muzzle velocities (f/s) for the "for group" shots are, in order, 1191, 1203, 1191, 1183, and 1191. The left-most two holes are shot #1 and 2. Shots number 3 and 4, are just right of and above and below the POA. Shot 5 is between the two 2-shot pairs. So, I don't see any particular correlation between MV and distance from POA.

The average velocity of 20 shots of the Blazer ammo was 1188 f/s.
The Standard Deviation was 11 f/s.
The max was 1206 f/s, and the min was 1164 f/s.
I think that's pretty good for "regular old ammo". I suppose if I bought one of these http://www.neiljones.com/html/rimfire_gauge.html and matched headspace, I could shoot them in common-headspace batches.

The average velocity of 5 shots of the SSS was 890 f/s.
Standard Deviation was 9 f/s.
Max - 902 f/s, min - 881 f/s.

Looking forward to the Hornet. :jumpingsmiley:

Paul

PS - From what I read at rimfire websites, measuring "headspace" on RF ammo is a waste of time. Nothing to gain in group size reduction from measuring rim thickness ("headspace") or weighing cartridges. Consensus seems to be that "testing batches" is the only solution for serious competition shooters.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

farmboy

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

you could use your stoney point comparator insert with callipers if you wanted to save the $65..
Turvey Stalking
Learn from the Limeys or the Canucks, or the Aussies, or the Kiwis, or the...
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Bit early in the morning, missed this
QuotePS - From what I read at rimfire websites, measuring "headspace" on RF  ammo is a waste of time. Nothing to gain in group size reduction from  measuring rim thickness ("headspace") or weighing cartridges. Consensus  seems to be that "testing batches" is the only solution for serious  competition shooters.
I'm sure like the bench rest crowd all these 'tricks' are just to mess with competitors heads.
The serious competitors actually go to the ammo factories and test batches until they find the one that works then go away with 10K or so.

Rumour has it that the prone small bore winner at the London Olympics was using an old Anschutz 54 with an old batch of ammo.
Turvey Stalking
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Need a coffee...
QuoteThe average velocity of 20 shots of the Blazer ammo was 880 f/s.
The Standard Deviation was 11 f/s.
The max was 1206 f/s, and the min was 1164 f/s.
Turvey Stalking

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Simple gauge - if you really, really wanted to

A block under a dial gauge comparator would be the way that I would make it, but never really had the interest!
Turvey Stalking

gitano

Fixed the "880 f/s" typo.
Thanks.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

QuoteHere is the "for group" target. The point of aim is tip of the arrow.

:MOGRIN:

Don't forget the 'match' challenge btw that is @ 50m...
Turvey Stalking

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

'Match' challenge...

Turvey Stalking

gitano

We'll see. But will have to have video for full effect.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

gitano

I accept the "match" challenge @ 50m. I figure if I shoot enough bullets, one of them is bound to hit it sooner or later.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Bit harder than shooting the primer in a shotshell...
Turvey Stalking

Jamie.270

Hmmmm, this one just showed up in the FS section of one the local boards here in the PNW. The scope is a Bushnell Elite 4-16X, and all the goodies shown come with it:
QuoteRestrictive gun laws that leave good people helpless, don\'t have the power to render bad people harmless.

To believe otherwise is folly. --  Me

Tags: