Re-bearing 160kW motor

Started by j0e_bl0ggs (deceased), February 12, 2015, 07:19:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Got a job to re-bearing a 160kW 2 pole motor, customer just about :cens: a brick at the £4101 per bearing price -
he wasn't the only one!

Bearing is special as it is electrically isolated (aluminium oxide coating on the outer).

Usual price or a bearing this size (6315) approx £100
Turvey Stalking
Learn from the Limeys or the Canucks, or the Aussies, or the Kiwis, or the...
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

gitano

:eek:

Well, at least it's 'purty'.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Brithunter

Well I am sure it does not take Four grand to coat that bearing!

Just another fine example of "Rip Off Britain I guess.
Go Get them Floyd!

farmboy

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Turvey Stalking
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

farmboy

The two bearings are half of the price of the motor scary. If there are any worries about any of  the rest of the motor I would think about a new one.

farmboy

And also look at a different brand with normal bearing in it and buy a set with the new motor. Ouch that hurts just thing about it.

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

There is a reason why motors are fitted with electrically isolated bearings.
Customer is given the reason why and the option to use the standard bearing.
In this application he chose to go with the isolated bearings, can't say that I blame him.
I was able to give him a good discount on the bearings.

BTW - There was no other 'fault' with the motor, just a lot of bearing noise.
Turvey Stalking

farmboy

For interest why would the bearing be insulated? I am guessing if it ever shorts maybe?

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Turvey Stalking

farmboy

Interesting current going through the bearings play havoc on the grease and the balls themselves. I like how skf says its cost effective! Scary how other ways would cost more. Motors that big are always running something that produces a lot of income by the hour so uptime is important. Thanks.

Paul Hoskins

That sure would buy a lot of candles but not much more could be done with candles. ....Paul H

Tags: