Canadian bacon

Started by drinksgin (deceased), December 24, 2014, 07:00:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drinksgin (deceased)

I was getting low on it, so the local rip you off supermarket had one of their rare good buys on ,Hormel center cut  boneless pork loin, for $1.99 lb, I bought the lmit of 2, cut 2, 3/4" steaks off each end divided the remainders in half, applied sugar cure and bagged them up, now to cure 3 days,smoke and slice 4mm.
This will make 6 lbs and that will hold me a while.
:food04::biggthumpup:
NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, GOA, CCRKBA, DEF -CON

RatherBHuntin

Don,
Between you and this Canadian Bacon, and my wife cooking Sauerbraten in the kitchen, I am about to gnaw off my own leg.  I might have to try this
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

gitano

QuoteI am about to gnaw off my own leg.

:MOGRIN:

I hear ya!

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

drinksgin (deceased)

My wife wants everything except fish and chicken breast ground, so I checked HEB today, they have boneless shoulder roast on at $2.47 lb so I got 7 lb, it will make her some nice chopped steak after going through the 8mm plate on my grinder.

Alboy

Here this will HELP you gnawers. Stopped by to share some surprise bounty of deer sausage with Don, got three pounds given to me for Christmas, gave Don a pound. Left his place with about 4 pounds split between canadian bqcon and the chicken sausage he made. YUM YUM.
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

sakorick

Quote from: drinksgin;136489I was getting low on it, so the local rip you off supermarket had one of their rare good buys on ,Hormel center cut  boneless pork loin, for $1.99 lb, I bought the lmit of 2, cut 2, 3/4" steaks off each end divided the remainders in half, applied sugar cure and bagged them up, now to cure 3 days,smoke and slice 4mm.
This will make 6 lbs and that will hold me a while.
:food04::biggthumpup:

Oh Yeah!!!!!!
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

drinksgin (deceased)

Sliced and quick frozen, shall bag it tomorrow morning.

drinksgin (deceased)

For any one else wanting the recipe for my sugar cure:
Simplified

Morton's tender quick                 1 cup + 1/2 cup granulated sugar
Coarse ground black pepper      1/2 cup
Garlic powder                             1/4 cup
Ground cayenne                         2 Tbsp

I use a shaker recycled from the garlic powder, give all exposed surfaces a good coat, place in a zip lock bag and refrigerate it for 1 day per inch of thickness.
I then cool smoke it for 5-6 hours, cool off, bag and then slice it the next day and then freeze separately .

gitano

Now that we're back to a 'normal' schedule after the holidays, I'm going to be 'processing' some meat. That is after I finish finishing the stairwell. :( I'll try your cure as I have plenty of Tender Quick on hand.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

drinksgin (deceased)

I have tried the tenderquick, it does well enough.
I still prefer to make my own, using canning salt, freshly ground black pepper and other fresh spices.
I tried the tenderquick because most people do not do enough curing to justify buying the pink salt and curing salt I use.

sakorick

I just finished a BLT on Rye using Don's Canadian Bacon. This was easily the best BLT I have ever consumed. I am going to attempt to duplicate Don's recipe soonest. Cold smoking won't be a problem, I can say that with great confidence as the OAT is all the way up to 9 degrees today! What a treat of treats.....thanks, Don.:MOGRIN:
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

drinksgin (deceased)

You are very welcome.
I did not use anything I cannot pronounce in making it, either!

Tags: