Ruger american rifle .223

Started by davidlt89, December 23, 2014, 06:04:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davidlt89

the rifle arrived yesterday and I picked it up today. I was going to order just the rifle but the only thing that was available was the package deal. The package included a redfield revolution scope with bases and rings. Total price for this package was 490.00. I looked the scopes up on line and they retail for 199.00. the price was right for this package so I ordered it last thursday!!!!

I would not have even know about these rifles if 22hornet had not mentioned them. you owe me 490.00 my friend, entrapment is illegal in the united states:grin:

So, got the rifle and out and gave it a good inspection. the action is nice smooth and i believe the trigger to be under 3lbs!!! I know this is hard to believe with a rifle out of the box, but it is hair trigger, nice and crisp.

you all know I am a synthetic junkie so this stock is right up my alley. Nice and light and fits me like a glove!!!!

The barrel does have some machine marks but you have to look close or either feel them with your hand. for the price, I can definitely handle that!!! I paid 297.00 for my mossberg atr in .243 for the boys and this is much more well built and did not cost much more.

I was not familiar with redfield scopes and never have used one. I know back in the day they were the "bomb". from what I understand they were bought up by leupold and are now back in production. The one on the rifle is a redfield revolution 3x9-40. I took it into my living room in the dark and looked into the backfield. we have cloud cover tonight and it is dark. I could see the field and definitely see if something was out there!!! I would rate that as good as my nikon buckmasters, definitely better than my prostaffs!!!

So far I am impressed!! I received all my components today but will be till spring before I can really see what this rifle will do. More to come!!!

God bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Wow, even 'Kilroy' in the corner is having a peep.
Turvey Stalking
Learn from the Limeys or the Canucks, or the Aussies, or the Kiwis, or the...
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

farmboy

Do you have a vx2 if so compare that red field with it and let me know what you think.

gitano

$500 bucks for a "ready to shoot" rifle seems "fair" in today's world.

I know you like the plastic stocks and matte finishes, David, and I would certainly say this one looks as good to my eye as any I have seen. For ME, "Plastic and Matte" are more a "matter of principle". Those are the least expensive materials and manufacturing processes and yet the prices are still pretty high TO MY EYE. However, I readily admit that "old guys" never seem to come into grasping the increase in costs of everything as they age. We old guys only seem capable of remembering what rifles USED TO COST, when we were young.

It's an interesting 'look' for a Ruger - to me. But then, 'times change'. Old guys have the luxury of grousing about 'how it used to be'. Young fellas have to LIVE in the here and now.

Congratulations! Looking forward to hearing how it shoots.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

drinksgin (deceased)

David, are my old eyes playing tricks on me, or do I see a thumb operated safety on the top  of the wrist?
NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, GOA, CCRKBA, DEF -CON

recoil junky

I'm anxious to take it out and shoot it!!!!

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

davidlt89

It is a tang safety Don! God bless.

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

RatherBHuntin

Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

davidlt89

Amen Glenn! I agree 100%!! Another feature that made this rifle appealing! God bless.

davidlt89

Paul, I dont think the price is bad at all. In 94 I paid 325.00 for a remington 70 ADL and put an 80.00 bushnell on it. Considering this is 20 years later and the price was not much more more, I don't think that is too bad. Prices for the wooden stocked rifles were about the same price back then!!! Ricks thread shows though things are going to "heck in a handbasket" fast!!!

Yeah, I like the matte, but I am old enough to remember the good blue finishes the used to have on guns!!! It was better, hands down!!! but I think the matte looks better. They can also pump out a woodstock just as quick nowadays as they can a synthetic!!! it you want a decent wood stock you usually need to buy one from a custom gunmaker who hand makes it, hence the prices Ricks thread is talking about!!! I've seen them upwards of 5k!!! thats insane! if I can get plastic stock that is matte, which I thinks looks better anyways, and shoots tacks......i am happy!!!!

Farmboy, i don't have a VX-II but I do have a VX-III and this redfield is right there with it!!! I won't pay for another leupold again having used a buckmasters or looking through this redfield!!! God Bless.

farmboy

Glad you think so as well I thought they ran hard against a vx2. When I looked at them the guy had both so I find it interesting that you think it is in vx3 country.

Hunterbug

I grouse about the way things used to be. I think that Paul just called me old. >:( Let me know how it shoots. I'll be in the market for a 30-06 short pretty soon for Payton.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

22hornet

Quote from: davidlt89;136482I would not have even know about these rifles if 22hornet had not mentioned them. you owe me 490.00 my friend, entrapment is illegal in the united states:grin:

More than happy to help you spend your money David. :laugh:

I'm waiting for the Ruger American in 300 Blackout to hit our shores and I'll take a look at one of them for my daughter for a short range pig / deer rifle.

http://www.ruger.com/products/americanRifleRanch/models.html

Actually, one in 7.62x39 would be ideal but I don't think that is likely to happen.
"Belief:" faith in something taught, as opposed to "knowledge:" which is awareness borne of experience.

gitano

Quote from: DavidLTand shoots tacks
Is the operative phrase!

".30-06 short", aye! ;)

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

davidlt89

Farmboy, I don't have a VX-3, I have a VX-III, they are no longer in production and it is 9 years old. they may have improved the optics since then!!! all I know is I get what I want to out of the nikons and I think this redfield is in the same ballpark!! of course, shooting will tell the story better!!!

Hornet, I seen the ranch models!!! i just could not get a 16" barrel!!!!

I will give a full report on this gun!!!! I have all my components and may put them together soon. just waiting on the dies and my modified case for my hornady aol gauge!!!! had to wait for my cabelas gift card!!!!I also have to make a new range here but plenty of room!!! God Bless.

Tags: