35 Whelen blues

Started by sakorick, December 22, 2014, 03:43:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sakorick

I decided to load up some 225 grain Accubonds for testing in my Whelen. I looked for 2 hours on line and found one seller who had two boxes left at $77 each plus shipping. Just when I started to think things were returning to normal, reality sets in. :Banghead:
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Turvey Stalking
Learn from the Limeys or the Canucks, or the Aussies, or the Kiwis, or the...
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

drinksgin (deceased)

And the reason you do not have a gc mold and some gas checks?
NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, GOA, CCRKBA, DEF -CON

sakorick

Quote from: drinksgin;136461And the reason you do not have a gc mold and some gas checks?

I reckon it's cause I have a good supply of 225 grain Sierras.

recoil junky

EVERYBODY and their dog shoots 225's in their 35 Whelen. I'm different, I shoot 250's. Tried the 225 Sierras and wasn't impressed so for the last 25 years I've been shooting 250 grain Hornady spire points. They work on everything from prairie dogs to elk (so far). :clown:

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

gitano

Neither I nor my dog shoot a .35 Whelen regardless of the bullet of choice!

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

farmboy

In these parts 35 bullets have always been somewhat hard to come across particularly any on the the hold together kind. My favorite ones were speer grand slam they quite making them so have a small supply left then will be looking for something else and not a partition.

gitano

Don't like the Partition, or just don't like the PRICE! Yowch!

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

recoil junky

Quote from: gitano;136470Neither I nor my dog shoot a .35 Whelen regardless of the bullet of choice!

Paul

Only because you don't have one!!! :greentongue: :greentongue:

:MOGRIN:

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

farmboy

I could be the only one on the planet that does not like the partitions performance. I have watched three animals shot with them all three were not good results every case it was a bullet that came apart with very little penetration. Everyone else in the world likes them I have wondered two of the animals were shot using the same box of bullets whether there was an issue with that box. Anyhow I have stared buying A frames in 358 when I find them.

Jamie.270

Quote from: sakorick;136463I reckon it's cause I have a good supply of 225 grain Sierras.
I find it hard to fathom needing more than that.
QuoteRestrictive gun laws that leave good people helpless, don\'t have the power to render bad people harmless.

To believe otherwise is folly. --  Me

gitano

Quote from: farmboy;136486I could be the only one on the planet that does not like the partitions performance. I have watched three animals shot with them all three were not good results every case it was a bullet that came apart with very little penetration. Everyone else in the world likes them I have wondered two of the animals were shot using the same box of bullets whether there was an issue with that box.

Emphasis mine.

You are indeed the only person in the world that I have ever heard use the phrase "come apart" and "Nosler Partition" in the same sentence unless it was to say "Nosler Partitions NEVER come apart." I've shot a lot of Partitions, and quite a few of them at game, and I QUIT using Partitions because they DIDN'T come apart. They were ALWAYS through and through shots. I have recovered exactly ONE Partition, at that was the one that hit a coastal brown bear in the zygomatic arch and didn't break it.

Now were you to have said Nosler BALLISTIC TIPS I would have said that you were one of THOUSANDS of people that have complained of 'poor penetration'. I believe all of those complaints are the reason Nosler came up with the Accubond, and started calling Ballistic Tips "varmint" bullets.

Honestly, I'm absolutely slack-jawed to hear of a Partition "coming apart" and "not penetrating". Something HAD to be wrong with that batch. And even were that the case, I've never ever heard of another single Partition with that problem, let alone a 'batch'.

A-Frames are just another 'partition' bullet, but their cost has always kept me away. My "like" of Nosler Partitions is that they have always shot straight in my rifles. Still, I quit using them if I could find another bullet that shot as straight because I really don't care for through and through shots, AND I really like to recover bullets. Those were always two strikes against them from my first-hand experience with them.

I'm still 'gobsmacked'!:eek::eek:

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

recoil junky

I can make a 180 grain Partition "come apart" in my 300RUM and in the 30-06AI. At 3000 FPS plus, it's easy. All that's left is the tail end. A Partition or A-Frame is not the bullet to use (at say below 2900 fps impact velocity) if you want it to "come apart", Sierras are great bullets for that.

I just can't get the darn things (Partitions or A-Frames) to shoot, period. I always opt for what's the most accurate.

Paul and I agree to disagree :Banghead: on "through 'n through" shots, but we both end up with meat on the table so both must work. :toff:

RJ

Paul Hoskins

I have never had a problem with Nosler partitions. The only ones I've used were 7mm & 22 calibers. I have a few boxes of 6.5's on hand. I wouldn't hesitate to shoot a 400 pound black bear with a 60 gr. Nosler 22 caliber even using a 223 Rem. The first order of business is placing a bullet properly. Do that & I guarntee an animal won't go far. .....Paul H

sakorick

Quote from: Paul Hoskins;136699I have never had a problem with Nosler partitions. The only ones I've used were 7mm & 22 calibers. I have a few boxes of 6.5's on hand. I wouldn't hesitate to shoot a 400 pound black bear with a 60 gr. Nosler 22 caliber even using a 223 Rem. The first order of business is placing a bullet properly. Do that & I guarntee an animal won't go far. .....Paul H

+1 on this end.

Tags: