mid range guns, prices soaring

Started by sakorick, December 16, 2014, 02:53:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sakorick

First up to bat is the Kimber Mountain Assent in '06. With a Zeiss scope and Talley rings the price is $2840. So how does she group? Rem 180 grain MV 2637'/sec  group 1.72". Win 180 gr, 2638'/sec, group 2.12" and last is the Federal 180 @ 2738'/sec ave group 1.93.

Next up is the new Nosler 26....it's called the M48 Patriot. It comes with a plastic stock. The one in American Rifleman, Dec 14 edition had a Leupold MK4 10x40 scope and the package was $3444 without bases and rings. Here are the published groups: 129 grain Nosler Trophy Grade ammo, ALBR with a vel of 3397'/sec, ave group 1.02". The 140 Gr Accubond Trophy Grade vel 3350'/sec average spread 1.27".

Finally the Sako 85 Classic no scope or mounts for $1998....for a deluxe, $2828 no scope or mounts.......both guns have no published accuracy data.

When you look at recent posts of old very inexpensive rifles on THL, shooting
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

22hornet

Makes you wonder doesn't it? Fit and finish cost dollars too. Accuracy is not the only thing.
The Ruger American is a sub $500 rifle and it shoots very well but it has rough tool marks all over it.
But for the money and price it is hard to knock it.
The Tikkas are sub $1000 rifles and they out shoot Sakos consistantly.
"Belief:" faith in something taught, as opposed to "knowledge:" which is awareness borne of experience.

drinksgin (deceased)

Idiots and their money are  soon separated.
NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, GOA, CCRKBA, DEF -CON

davidlt89

QuoteThe Ruger American is a sub $500 rifle and it shoots very well but it has rough tool marks all over it.
Never seen this model, looking into right now. Need a "fur friendly" gun and the price is right. Like the looks of the predator and has a 22" barrel! I could be spending some money, thanks 22Hornet:D God Bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

drinksgin (deceased)

drinksgin (deceased)

What are you wanting, cf or rf?
Look at the site Able Ammo, there are many rifles available and many are well under $400 cf  and $300 rf.

gitano

I think what sakorick was getting at was that new rifles cost A LOT of money and don't seem to shoot very well. On the other hand, "old rifles" that were, even considering inflation, cheaper, actually shot considerably better. When you start talking about $1500+ firearms, you're not talking about "the common man's" rifle, and yet "the common man's" rifles USED to put 'em where you pointed.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

farmboy

Gun pricing is interesting to say the least. I find it hard to believe that guys are buying lee enfields around here for more money than a package rifle. The package rifles are a real deal to my way of thinking compared to anything available around here 25 30 years ago. I bought a Remington three years ago and it is just not what they were at one time perhaps a higher dollar one would have been better. Mine is a vtr. Then you get to the semi customs the fit and finish is closer to a main line gun from the 60s and are really getting up there in price if they do not shot well it looks like if you want a gun with nice fit and finish and shots well it will cost you the price of a full custom ouch. There should be a happy medium somewhere. The good thing at the moment is the price of the entry level rifles a person can get a different gun for a different purpose and not spend the earth and young people can start out without breaking the bank.

davidlt89

QuoteWhat are you wanting, a cf or rf
not sure what that means? God Bless.

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

farmboy

davidlt89

thank you farmboy!!!! that would be cf. got enough .22s! God Bless.

RatherBHuntin

Quote from: davidlt89;136308thank you farmboy!!!! that would be cf. got enough .22s! God Bless.

Nonsense, no such thing as enough .22s
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

gitano

Quote from: RatherBHuntin;136312Nonsense, no such thing as enough .22s

:biggthumpup:

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

drinksgin (deceased)

As  I watch the used and new firearm market, I cannot help but feel as though it is the equivalent of an auction where all the persons present are speculators and shills for the auction house.

farmboy

Tags: