Favourite 'scope anti-fog.

Started by j0e_bl0ggs (deceased), November 14, 2014, 10:42:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Hows about posting your favourite anti fog method or gunk that you use on your rifle 'scopes?
Turvey Stalking
Learn from the Limeys or the Canucks, or the Aussies, or the Kiwis, or the...
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

farmboy

I use scope caps and camera lens cleaner cloths. The varmint rifles mainly have rain guard coating from the factory and generally i am in a really dry climate.

gitano

I rarely have had a need as most 'scopes these days are properly coated for condensation prevention. Any 'fogging' problems I've had have been "interior", and that's 1) bad, and 2) not "fixable" in the field.

However, in the 'old days', if there was a concern, I knew folks that put one 'drop' of Dawn liquid dishwashing soap on the lens and wiped it around and then wiped it off. That worked for a day or three.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

davidlt89

I did not know there was anything you could put on a scope for that. Have never had a problem! Only time i have seen my scopes fog up is taking them from a warm temp and bringing them into an extremely cold temp. They "acclimate" fast! God bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

gitano

Usually, external fogging is only an issue when the 'scope is cold (outside), and it is taken inside to 'warm'. Then, moisture in the warm air 'inside' condenses on the cold glass and metal. Can't say that I've ever personally seen condensation on a 'scope going from warm to cold.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

This came up in conversation the other day. It has been pointed out warm to cold does not cause a problem.
The dish-washing liquid is an old trick used by many - especially the bikers amongst us.
I was interested in any more modern solutions that are guaranteed to have no effect on the fluoride coatings applied to 'scopes. The modern glass has 'rain guard' 'lotutec' etc. so generally does not, apparently, suffer quite so much.
Turvey Stalking
Learn from the Limeys or the Canucks, or the Aussies, or the Kiwis, or the...
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

davidlt89

I believe you guys are right! I was thinking of my binoculars! I used to get them from my roon downstairs (55 degrees) and bring them upstairs (75 degrees) to glass somerhing and was instant fog. God bless
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

Tags: