Use tags

Started by gitano, October 29, 2014, 10:27:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gitano

USE TAGS!

We can "tag" threads, but it appears that only the Original Post can be "tagged". I am not 100% sure of that yet, and I'm not sure of the nature of the tags themselves, BUT, I am going to tag this thread with "Features Of THL" and "Search Procedures" and we'll see if these exact words get added to the tags in the Admin area.

USE TAGS!

Tagging a thread will allow more specific searches. For example: If Sakorick had tagged his threads on his new drilling with "Drilling" and "Range Report", then someone looking for threads on drillings could simply put "drillings" in the search engine and Rick's threads would be found. It is IMPERATIVE that you "tag" the FIRST/ORIGINAL post! There's no "going back" unfortunately.

USE TAGS!

More when I have more to share.

USE TAGS!

Paul

PS - USE TAGS!
Be nicer than necessary.

gitano

AHA! Those tags - Features of THL and Search Procedures - did indeed get added to the list of tags in the Admin area. So.... USE TAGS! It will make finding the wealth of information in THL MUCH easier! Be prolific, but don't be "cute". The idea is to facilitate effective and efficient searches for INFORMATION.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

gitano

Unfortunately, it appears that threads cannot be "tagged" after they are first posted. In other words, a thread can't be tagged by editing after initial posting. Not even for Admins. That's too bad, because I would have gone through "tagging" all the "range reports", etc.

THEREFORE... from now on, try to remember to TAG the threads you start that have a specific subject. For example: "range report", deer kill, beaver trapped, muskrat trapped, grouse shot, goose shot, squirrel shot, elk kill, etc. ANY "tag" that will make finding the thread easier in the future.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

drinksgin (deceased)

Duhh, and how do you "tag" a new thread?
There are some of us who are very much mid-20th century.
NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, GOA, CCRKBA, DEF -CON

gitano

I am ON A MISSION! I found a place - at the bottom of each thread - where one can "Edit Tags"! I am now headed "back in time" to add tags to all the threads of relevance I can find. If you have some threads of interest that need tags, let me know and I will get them tagged. I don't know who all can edit tags. All of you moderators let me know if you have that capability. If so, GET TO IT! :D

Boy! Is this GOOD NEWS!

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

drinksgin (deceased)

It appears I can, at least the edit tag function shows up for me.
NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, GOA, CCRKBA, DEF -CON

gitano

That is REALLY good news! Now... EVERYONE... "Get out there and start tagging your old posts!"

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

gitano

There's more good news! You don't even have to use the search engine to search for similarly tagged posts. Simply click on the tag at the bottom of the thread and ALL of the threads with that tag will "suddenly appear"! Gettin' better by the minute.

KEEP ON TAGGIN'!

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

RatherBHuntin

What is the criteria being used to determine how many tags can be applied to a thread? And more importantly, can it be changed? There have been several very good Bowhunting forum threads that have only allowed two tags, and at least half a dozen need to be applied to hit everything discussed in them.

Edit: On second look, it seems if you go at tagging for too long you just get limited to two tags per thread
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

gitano

Don't know about that Glenn. The limit on tags per thread is 25. That's a forum setting. I could change it, but that seems like enough. On the other hand, 2 is certainly not enough. So far, I haven't reached a 'tagging limit', but possibly that is because I am "Admin". I'll look into it.

Thanks for going back and tagging threads. I think it will change THL for the better.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

RatherBHuntin

And this a very long thread, still only let me tag twice. I think I reached my limit, maybe so many during a time period, will try tomorrow.
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

sakorick

Hey Glenn......not sure what you did, but that need cleaned up. Probably Paul can fix? Regards, Rick.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

gitano

OK - I found the place that controls this.

It was set so that non-Administrators that START a thread could add only 5 tags, and non-THREAD STARTERS could only add two tags. I have changed that to 5 each. If "you" want to add more than 5 tags to a given thread, let me know, and I will add the tags you would like. OR, if "you all" - ANY/ALL members - would like to be able to add more than 5 tags, let me know and I will reset the default limit.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Tags: