My Best 500 Yard Group

Started by recoil junky, October 08, 2014, 02:57:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

recoil junky

My pal Jeff and I were out this past Sunday "tuning" for our upcoming Montana whitetail hunt and I had the 300RUM along tuning on it for Colorado's 3rd elk season.

Jeff asks me "As long as we have a target set up at 500, I want to see what you can do with that 300."

"Um, okay . . . "

We actually had two targets at 500, one above the other, so allowing for windage (we had a good l-r 10 mph cross wind) and elevation I held in the upper left corner of the upper target and let fly with three rounds.

The group measured 2.348, well under 1/2 moa!!

The odd hole in the lower right is from my .243 as we were playing "see if you can hit that". We also had one gallon paint cans and some 9" steel plates set up at 500.

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

sakorick

Unreal! How do you see that far?  have never seen a better 500 yard group from a hunting rifle....ever. Congratulations for a rare feat. I feel sorry for the Deer/Elk.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

Alboy

Quote from: sakorick;134359Unreal! How do you see that far?  have never seen a better 500 yard group from a hunting rifle....ever. Congratulations for a rare feat. I feel sorry for the Deer/Elk.

And that my friend is HIGH PRAISE indeed, To which I would like to add my own; WOOOOOF!!:bowdown:
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

Jorge in Oz

Wow nice RJ. That 300 RUM is the ducks nuts!!

So is the shooter. :MOGRIN:
"The Germans brought the best hunting rifle to the war. The Americans brought the best target rifle. The British brought the best battle rifle!"

"The early church was married to poverty, prisons and persecutions. Today, the church is married to prosperity, personality, and popularity." ― Leonard Ravenhill

gitano

So about 8" of elevation and 5" of drift. OUTSTANDING!

I don't think I have even shot at a target at 500 yards.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

branxhunter

Mighty fine shootin' there RJ. Look out elk.

Marcus

davidlt89

Nice shooting RJ!!!!! I shot for the first time at 500 yards this summer, my group was around 2 feet!!!! expecting to see an elk down the road!!!! God Bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

sakorick

I ran the ballistics on a RUM at 500 yards using a 180gr Nosler Accubond bullet at 3200'/sec. With a 250 yard zero the paper results show a drop of 29 inches and a wind drift of 15 inches which puts the bullet one foot below the bottom of the target.Your group is simply amazing. Assuming you hit the lower target, the bullet did better both in drop and wind deflection. I did not factor in elevation and at 5000' you would be flatter by 2 inches and of course with handloads, flatter yet.

gitano

So if the holes are in the lower target and the point of aim was the upper left corner of the upper target, the drop is about 24-ish" and drift remains at about 5". Outstanding nonetheless!

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

sakorick

Quote from: gitano;134371So if the holes are in the lower target and the point of aim was the upper left corner of the upper target, the drop is about 24-ish" and drift remains at about 5". Outstanding nonetheless!

Paul

Bingo!

recoil junky

I have it zeroed at 300 yards and according to my "calculations" bullet strike should have been 18" low at 500. I'd say 3 inches lower is most acceptable!! Since the original post I got out the tape measure and measured the average drop between 19 1/2 and 21 inches.

Now I have to figure out where to hold using the mildot crosshairs. At 400 yards I hold on the first dot below center.

Please don't ask me to repeat this freakish feat because I would undoubtedly embarrass myself.

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

buffalo bob

how much does elevation effect the ballistics.  I have hunted elk at about 9000-10000ft.  how much would my hold over be off with my weatherby 30-378.

sakorick

Quote from: buffalo bob;134384how much does elevation effect the ballistics.  I have hunted elk at about 9000-10000ft.  how much would my hold over be off with my weatherby 30-378.

Hello Bob. I need some basic data. What grain/BC bullet, what speed, what range and what temperature? Figure around 3 inches less drop than at sea level but that's just a guess....need data.

Hunterbug

That's some good shooting. Now we know that you have no excuse for not getting a bull this year. :)
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

Tags: