This is making my life tougher...

Started by gitano, September 12, 2014, 11:59:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gitano

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/732934/hornady-reloading-brass-376-steyr-box-of-50

PLUS the $10 for living in Alaska,
PLUS the $7.19 "shipping",

Makes each of these cases cost me $75.18/50, or $1.5038 a piece. For AMERICAN-MADE brass! Even without the insult of the $10 Alaska surcharge, it's still $1.3038 a piece!

Gotta decide how "bad" I want all those "variations on a theme".

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

drinksgin (deceased)

After doing some looking and figuring, it seems the case can be made from 9.3x64 Breneke, also hard to find, and several of the belted magnums by removing the belt.
It can also be made from .45-90 cases, again with a bit of lathe work.
The .45-90 cases are in stock at TOTW, still sorta high, but not as high as the Midway price , AND Midway's are not in stock.
Do you have a few belted magnum cases on hand to play with?
Graf,(I know bad word), has  cases in stock, .$56 for 50, plus shipping.
WHY don't you pick something more common?
You are getting as bad as me with .32-20 and .50-70.
NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, GOA, CCRKBA, DEF -CON

gitano

"Regular" magnum cases are nominally 0.535" in the head. The Steyr is 0.500". I'm not too keen on shaving 17 or 18 thou off the head. Don't mind making rims smaller, but don't like to take ANYTHING off the head, let alone, 17-is thou per side.

The .276 Steyr came out before the new Ruger "Magnum". It has no belt - good - has the 0.535" "standard" head diameter - bad. Bad because that's a lot to take off of a Mauser '98 bolt and extractor. Hence why I liked the Steyr case.

I'd have to look at the .45-90 case to see what I might be able to do. As it stands, I "bit the bullet" and bought 100 from Grafs. At least they didn't stiff me for living in Alaska.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

drinksgin (deceased)

I thought belted cases had a head of .505, more or less, so removing just the belt would not do much to the basic case, would it?

gitano

Good point, Don. However, the diameter of the case ahead of the belt is nominally 0.513. However, I'd be willing to check into that possibility. Lotsa trouble though. While I WILL chuck cases in the lathe to fabricate something, I REALLY don't like to do it for "modern" cartridges.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

drinksgin (deceased)

As you have the real thing on the way, it is a moot point.

gitano

For the time being. However, I was thinking about "the long run". O'course, the "run" isn't quite so "long" as it used to be...

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

drinksgin (deceased)

One possible do would be to get some brass stock, I think about .012" would do, make a ring ,and put it on a .30-06 case where a belt would go.
make it about 3/8" long, fireform and trim.

gitano

A solution I hope I don't have to employ. I would probably sell the firearm, or change the barrel if I were to that point.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Tags: