A new project in the works!

Started by sakorick, August 01, 2014, 02:29:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sakorick

This is a rather happy ending to a bad situation. About 5 years ago I purchased a M 96 Swedish Mauser that had been sporterized by Kimber back in the 50's, at the Kansas City Cabelas for $225. The project was to fix the old girl up and change things around a bit. Soooooo, I decided to build a 6.5-57 Ackley. I even went so far as purchasing the dies from CH4D(one of my favorite American companies by the way). The dies were 80 bucks and things were going nicely. I sent the barreled action out to Mark Skaggs in Oregon(still the best most reasonable gunsmith in the country) who happen to have a 6.5-57 Ackley reamer. When the gun got back I polished it and took it down to Bill to have it semi inletted and blued. Then I kind of forgot about it and a year passed. I called Bill, and he said he would jump right on it.....then he dropped dead. I got in touch with his estranged wife who said her son, the drug dealer, had sold all the guns Bill was working on.:Banghead: So I printed a wanted poster and distributed them all over N Missouri down to KC and Springfield. Last week, the owner of Competitive Edge Shooting called me from just North of KC and said, "I believe I have a rifle that belongs to you and a stock". I grabbed my license, pictures of the gun and SN and dashed to CE. In 10 minutes I walked out with my rifle and stock minus the trigger guard and bolt parts. So it looks like I am back in the game.....shoot, I was getting bored anyway. Here is a picture of what I got back.....the Timney trigger was an extra I had and I had extra bolt parts to get it functional. I have a lot of polishing to do!
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

Jamie.270

My crystal ball tells me there's about to be ANOTHER really sweet shooter in MO!

Please keep us posted Rick.
QuoteRestrictive gun laws that leave good people helpless, don\'t have the power to render bad people harmless.

To believe otherwise is folly. --  Me

Brithunter

Dannnng how can someone just sell other peoples property?

Let's hope things go better this time around.
Go Get them Floyd!

sakorick

Quote from: Brithunter;133418  Dannnng how can someone just sell other peoples property?

Let's hope things go better this time around.

There are those who don't think or act like normal people. They are lawless zombies and there are lots of them out there.

Bill Thibeault

Rick,

What is the purpose of the large half-moon "divot" on the left side of the receiver?  Don't remember ever seeing something like that on a Mauser action.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."(George Orwell)

sakorick

Quote from: Bill Thibeault;133420Rick,

What is the purpose of the large half-moon "divot" on the left side of the receiver?  Don't remember ever seeing something like that on a Mauser action.

Bill, That is a thumb cutout so you can push all 5 shells from a stripper clip into the magazine well.

gitano

Amazing - to me - that you were able to recover most of it!

Should be a 'beaut!

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

JaDub

Amazing that you got it back.    Truly.

Jorge in Oz

Nice recovery Rick, normally when things like that happen, you can kiss it goodbye but a great result this time. I can't wait to see hoe this project progresses.
"The Germans brought the best hunting rifle to the war. The Americans brought the best target rifle. The British brought the best battle rifle!"

"The early church was married to poverty, prisons and persecutions. Today, the church is married to prosperity, personality, and popularity." ― Leonard Ravenhill

sakorick

After talking to Paul and doing some pressure checks, that rifle as is, will not handle anything close to full up loads with the short 20 inch barrel. So, the barrel comes off, and a 24 inch 257 Roberts AI goes on. I will save the 6.5-57 Ackley for the next next project and I have a perfect modern action for the job.

Bill Thibeault

Rick,

There isn't a lot of choices for 25 caliber bullets.  Have you considered something in 6.5mm?  There are a lot more bullet options, and the 6.5's are renowned for their superior ballistic coefficient.  See:  http://www.longrangehunting.com/articles/e.r.shaw-mk-vii-6.5-284-review-1.php

Additionally, there are more standard cartridges and wildcat variations within the 6.5mm family.  Something to think about...
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."(George Orwell)

sakorick

Bill, I already have a 6.5-'06 AI. It's a warp speed shooter. The Roberts will let me in the 80 grain warp speed zone with very very low pressure. Off to Church.....today's SS lesson is Acts 16 and Lydia's story.

Hunterbug

That's going to be a nice piece. It would be perfect for a Wyoming antelope hunt. ;)

Bill, there are plenty of choices for the 25 caliber, from 60-120gr. I use 100gr Hornady for hunting although I am playing with 110gr accubonds.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

Tags: