has anyone noticed.....

Started by sakorick, April 04, 2014, 01:22:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sakorick

Since Paul took over the responsibility of administrating this site, there has not been one issue, the site WAD and is always up 24/7. Let me be the first to say thank-you, Paul for the greatest forum on the internet. Regards, Rick.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

Alboy

Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

recoil junky

When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

davidlt89

Certainly has done a top notch Job! I may be wrong, but I think Mr. Bloggs as been pretty busy in the background. well done gentlemen! God Bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

sakorick

Quote from: davidlt89;131828Certainly has done a top notch Job! I may be wrong, but I think Mr. Bloggs as been pretty busy in the background. well done gentlemen! God Bless.

Excellent point, yes indeed. Mr. Bloggs gets kudos and a hearty thank-you from me. Thanks men.:jumpingsmiley: Regards, Rick.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

gitano

Quote from: sakorick;131833Excellent point, yes indeed. Mr. Bloggs gets kudos and a hearty thank-you from me...

An important note I was going to make. Thanks, Rick and all.

For the MOST part, not having any problems that couldn't be quickly resolved was at least as much good fortune as it was any particular competence on my part. J0e_bl0ggs has played a large part and continues to do so.

Since you brought it up... :)

As most already well know, this site is a lot more like a "club" than a forum. While it most certainly has an international flavor, we are a pretty small group and I'm quite certain the average age of the majority of contributors is well in advance of forty. I'm not "worried" about that, but I haven't figured out how to: 1) increase the participation of those already members, and 2) get new members.

Let me be clear about something from the outset. I am not willing to "compromise" the "personality" of THL - its greatest asset in my opinion - for the sake of "numbers". We've had people here in the past that simply chose to make trouble whenever the opportunity arose. Inviting those that will mis-behave, or have fundamentally different perspectives on matters that are important to the majority of the long-time members is a kind of "death" anyway.

I believe this is a problem that we humans are facing as a result of "the internet" and "social media", but it is a problem for individuals, for groups, for cities, and for nations. For individuals, do we compromise our integrity and fundamental beliefs so that we have more "friends"? If you are opposed to abortion or the use of recreational drugs (ALL of them), do you 'look the other way' when a new person comes into your circle of freinds? Do you, as a city or state, compromise your principles for increased tourism or business? Do you destroy a foundation stone of the community that is one of the primary reasons you live in that community, just to "get along"? Does a nation forsake it's foundation stones in order to increase "trade" and "foreign policy".

Of course those are rhetorical questions, but the answers are - I believe - most certainly not "easy". As and "old person", I have come to realize that "my time" is past. It's time for the next generation to make it's own decisions and to live with the consequences of those decisions. Specifically with respect to hunting and firearms, it is clear that my perspective is "old school", and certainly not 'mainstream'. That is not condemnation of "new school" and mainstream, it is simply acknowledgement of reality. But here's the point...

Many argue the if "you" (I) don't "get with the new program", I, and what I cherish, will "die". Well, taking that argument to it's logical conclusion, if I simply "give in" to the obsession by the newest generation for "plastic "tactical" firearms", then in fact I have "died" just a surely. I think it is 'natural' that "old things" "die". That is not to say that "new things" are "good" or even better. Rather it is simply acknowledgement that "new" comes whether we like it or not.

So, what's that got to do with THL, you might ask? "A lot" I would answer. As I pointed out above, I am pretty sure the average age of the primary contributors to THL is "older" rather than "younger". THL will "die" sooner or later if no "new blood" comes in, simply because we "old guys" will physically die. THAT is inevitable. What should we do? Should we 'recruit' "new blood" regardless of their views of hunting, fishing and firearms? What if they happen to think "SOME" form of "gun control" is "reasonable"? What if all they really want to discuss is the "tactical fire-power" of the latest new gizmo, and its value in "personal combat"?

I truly believe that one of the reasons that THL "works" is because we are both 'tolerant' of differing opinions, but at the same time intolerant of bad behavior. If we "ease" our standards, we simply die a different death, but it is still death of what we see as valuable.

Personally, I am willing to allow THL to continue on its current path. If it slowly "dies" for lack of "new blood", that would be sad, but it would be no worse than dying of compromised beliefs.

Gordon and Sharon started this site to be a FRIENDLY place to discuss the HUNTER'S life. I want to stay true to that principle. I understand - sadly - that Hunting, is not, and will never again be what it was when I was young. Safari in Africa is not now anything like it was in the late 19th and early 20th century, and it never will be again. Things change. Some for the better, some not. For me, if THL cannot "grow" with its original roots, then it is appropriate that is passes.

I would encourage all to 'recruit', but be wise in your recruitment, and do not recruit for "numbers". That is "death" no less. I was brought to THL by Ol' John (John Talley), and he "observed" me for some time before deciding I was "OK" for THL. Also, his invitation was private. We should be looking for 'kindred spirits', not just 'warm bodies'.

THL is an important part of my life, but 'this too will pass'.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Thank you gentlemen. Truth is I like the ethos here therefore it is worth the small effort in keeping the place going.
Turvey Stalking
Learn from the Limeys or the Canucks, or the Aussies, or the Kiwis, or the...
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

Hunterbug

Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

Jorge in Oz

Thanks Paul & Joe for keeping THL going smoothly.

Yes, I agree with what has been said that is what first attracted me here and has kept me here.

A decent bunch of blokes discussing hunting and life in general.

It has been a pleasure so far gentlemen.

Regards

Jorge
"The Germans brought the best hunting rifle to the war. The Americans brought the best target rifle. The British brought the best battle rifle!"

"The early church was married to poverty, prisons and persecutions. Today, the church is married to prosperity, personality, and popularity." ― Leonard Ravenhill

LvrLover

Good all around. While I do not spend as much time here as the rest of you, I enjoy every minute. Although I have never met any of you personally, I feel like I could "hail the camp" and be welcome around the fire with all of you and rest assured it is reciprocated.
"Live free or die: death is not the worst of evils." General John Stark

davidlt89

Well, being on the "younger" end of THL, I certainly would like to see it "go on" for awhile longer. But if it does, I don't know if it is always going to be the same. I certainly agree, the atmosphere needs to stay the same, that is just a give me! but the "younger people" are just going to have different views and tastes. That I am ok with as long as the "atmosphere" here stays the same, I certainly would not be willing to compromise that. Heck, I am one of the only members that prefers "plastic" over "wood", but we make work here;).
 I have in past tried to recruit people I felt suitable for THL and that may enjoy being part of this community but they just have not hung around. One felt the "people" here were way to opinionated and felt he just kept getting shot down on his views. I have no idea why one  guy just does not join in, but it is what it is. And I know that other people I believe have just felt intimidated with the vast knowledge that they read! quite honestly, up here, people know how to buy ammo, load their gun, and kill something!!! Most anything past that and the grey matter gets to working to hard. but there is nothing we can do about that. I enjoy being here for the vast knowledge that is available. I have learned, tried, and accomplished more than I have ever thought I could because of this site and would never want it to "compromise" or change.

Anyway, I have not really made a push to get members, so maybe I will get off of my can and make a "real" effort.;)

THL may pass someday, but lets enjoy what we got gentlemen! God Bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

22hornet

Yep. Great job Paul and Joe! A huge thumbs up for you both. :2thumbsup:
"Belief:" faith in something taught, as opposed to "knowledge:" which is awareness borne of experience.

Tags: