Thought I'd make a start...

Started by j0e_bl0ggs (deceased), March 19, 2014, 07:31:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

(In best antipodean accent - rolf)

Can you tell what it is yet?

no prizes;)
Turvey Stalking
Learn from the Limeys or the Canucks, or the Aussies, or the Kiwis, or the...
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

Jamie.270

QuoteRestrictive gun laws that leave good people helpless, don\'t have the power to render bad people harmless.

To believe otherwise is folly. --  Me

gitano

A better guess (I guess) than I had.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Nice one Jamie, give yourself a pat on the back!
Turvey Stalking
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

Jamie.270

Quote from: j0e_bl0ggs;131577Nice one Jamie, give yourself a pat on the back!
Sorry if I ruined the suspense.
That is precisely the start I have envisioned with the one I'd like to make.
QuoteRestrictive gun laws that leave good people helpless, don\'t have the power to render bad people harmless.

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Well the rest should be straight forward, I might re-do the knurled ring again as I have different ideas for how to attach it, work in progress as they say!
Turvey Stalking

Jamie.270

Keep us posted j0e.  I'm interested in your ideas for making the required adjustments.

sakorick

I have a stupid question. What happens if you cut through the copper jacket? Or will it simply apply a crimp? Regards, Rick.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

It does not cut as such just impresses the knurl into the bullet.
Turvey Stalking

sakorick

Quote from: j0e_bl0ggs;131583It does not cut as such just impresses the knurl into the bullet.

That's what I figured. I've got some rifle bullets I would like cannelured. Regards, Rick.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Yeah, I want to do the cannelure bit to the 22cal bullets that I swage.
Turvey Stalking

Jamie.270

Quote from: sakorick;131584That's what I figured. I've got some rifle bullets I would like cannelured. Regards, Rick.
You're familiar with CH4D Rick.  They have one:
http://www.ch4d.com/products/equipment/bullet-tools/CanToo

drinksgin (deceased)

I have not tried it with a jacketed bullet, but a Lee collet crimp die makes a cannelure on a cast bullet.
I would think a tubing cutter with the cutter replaced with a properly shaped disk would do it , as well.
NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, GOA, CCRKBA, DEF -CON

Jamie.270

That it would dg.  The problem becomes one of location consistency though, and trying to hold the bullet while the tubing cutter is rotated around the bullet.
A longitudinal stop is required to consistently locate the bullet beneath the cutter wheel, so that seating depths will be uniform when the neck is crimped into the cannelure.
Allowing the bullet to rotate while held against the depth stop, and under the force of the knurled cutter wheel, is far easier than attempting to hold the bullet stationary, and rotating the tool.

gitano

Quote from: drinksgin;131603I have not tried it with a jacketed bullet, but a Lee collet crimp die makes a cannelure on a cast bullet.
I would think a tubing cutter with the cutter replaced with a properly shaped disk would do it , as well.

I have done it with a jacketed bullet, (first time was by accident), and it works on jacketed bullets too. I've just never been much of a cannelure fan to bother with it.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Tags: