Rooster spur

Started by sakorick, January 15, 2014, 07:37:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sakorick

My first try at taxidermy!:biggthumpup: This is the foot of the big Pheasant I shot 5 weeks ago. I tacked it down to a board and let it sit in the Sunroom and then sprayed it with two coats of Truoil. I think taxidermy is easy:MOGRIN: I don't know if it's the biggest spur I have seen but it ranks right up there. Regards, Rick.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

gitano

I LIKE that, Rick!

Now you're an "arteest" and if you spent an hour on it, you can charge $500 for it! Especially considering the high cost of the materials and your "creative genius".

The truth is, I DO, REALLY like that. Good job!

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

sakorick

I would say that I have at least .25 cents in materials and probably 15 minutes on the clock. After all, I had to drill 6 small holes to wire the foot down.:sweatdrop: Then I had to touch up the leg joint with a black magic marker. Yep, this taxidermy stuff is hard. Regards, Rick.

drinksgin (deceased)

You did not even use some Tender Quick?

:MOGRIN:
NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, GOA, CCRKBA, DEF -CON

Alboy

Well I know who to send my next project too.

Good job.
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

davidlt89

Outstanding!!!! I like it, it really looks good!!! I may have to try that with a grouse foot! God Bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

Jorge in Oz

Nice Rick, I like the wood platform. Yep you can charge $500 big ones for that now. ;)
"The Germans brought the best hunting rifle to the war. The Americans brought the best target rifle. The British brought the best battle rifle!"

"The early church was married to poverty, prisons and persecutions. Today, the church is married to prosperity, personality, and popularity." ― Leonard Ravenhill

22hornet

"Belief:" faith in something taught, as opposed to "knowledge:" which is awareness borne of experience.

recoil junky

Rick, yer just handier than a pocket on a shirt.

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

sakorick

Quote from: drinksgin;130454You did not even use some Tender Quick?

:MOGRIN:

What is tender quick?

knuckledragger

Rick-  How soon after shooting the bird did you set it up to dry?  I tried it with a turkey foot but they usually are good and stiff and curled up by the time I get home to process the bird.  KD
Not everyone gets a trophy.

gitano

KD - That stiffness you report - as you probably already know - is rigormortis. It occurs - depending on the ambient temperature and the species - anywhere from 30 minutes to about an hour after death. What most people don't realize because they "process" their game quickly, rigormortis "fades" in about 6 hours or so. Again depending on temperature and species.

So if you let "your" turkey legs go over night - in a room temperature - you should find them quite pliable in the morning. However, leave them too long, and they'll start to stiffen up again as they begin to dry out. This is especially true with bird legs ("feet" actually), as there is precious little meat 'down there'. It's mostly bone (which starts out 'stiff' :)) and tendon which dries (and therefore stiffens) easily without rotting.

Based on your question, I assume I wasn't "teaching you how to suck eggs" (something everyone knows how to do).

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

knuckledragger

Your advice is always welcome!  I think youre right.  Most of the time I cut 'em off and put the borax on the opening and let them go from there.  Next time I touch them, its weeks later, and they are stuck in position.  I will seek "the sweet spot" time-wise this season and see what I can do then.  I see a new backscratcher in my future.  KD
Not everyone gets a trophy.

sakorick

Quote from: knuckledragger;131030Rick-  How soon after shooting the bird did you set it up to dry?  I tried it with a turkey foot but they usually are good and stiff and curled up by the time I get home to process the bird.  KD

I built a wood floor, wove some wire around the 3 toes and leaned it up against the window wall in my sunroom. One month later it was frozen in shape by rigor mortis. That's about it.....as easy as falling in love. Regards, Rick.

kombi1976

Wow, awesome. When I finally shoot my big buck I'll be wiring it to the floor, leaving it in the sun and spraying it with tru-oil. :greentongue:
Cheers & God Bless
22lr ~ 22 Hornet ~ 25-20 ~ 303/25 ~ 7mm-08 ~ 303 British ~ 310 Cadet ~ 9.3x62 ~ 450/400 N.E. 3"

Tags: