You guys can have it!

Started by Hunterbug, January 06, 2014, 05:43:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hunterbug

Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

kombi1976

See the huntsman? We have about 4 or 5 about the house.
And the common black house spider? We have a big black one living on the bathroom window. Unfortunately it had 180 little baby spiders so my wife is going to move them all to the garden.
They don't generally bite and she's pretty good at moving them.
But her folks live next to the property that has THE highest concentration of Sydney Funnel Webs.
Their next door neighbour knocked the numbers down years ago using chickens.
The chickens are immune and just eat them.
But there are still plenty about in the corners.
Oh, and Red Backs and White Tail Spiders?
Plenty of both about and the White Tails leave a wound like the Brown Recluse that won't heal.
I accidentally brushed a Red Back when reaching behind the engine of an old VW Bug I had that had been sitting in a field.
Didn't bite me fortunately - I squashed it quick.
They try and breed under my bicycle seat in the garage as I ride it infrequently.
I'll admit the spiders are bad but the snakes are worse......that and the Box Jellyfish and the Blue Ringed Octopus.
Oh, and the sharks.......... :greentongue:

P.S. Our spiders generally aren't that big and they can easily be avoided. We only kill Red Backs and White Tails as the rest are great fly and mosquito killers and we never see Funnel Webs where I live. The snakes, however, especially the Brown Snake, are considerably worse and easy to disturb when hunting. One summer hunting trip I saw an adolescent Brown Snake swim across a creek up stream from where I was dabbling my feet. I got out! They are really aggressive and a friend's dog was killed by one recently.
Cheers & God Bless
22lr ~ 22 Hornet ~ 25-20 ~ 303/25 ~ 7mm-08 ~ 303 British ~ 310 Cadet ~ 9.3x62 ~ 450/400 N.E. 3"

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

ooooooof, can feel a load of stompin coming on
Turvey Stalking
Learn from the Limeys or the Canucks, or the Aussies, or the Kiwis, or the...
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

kombi1976

Nah, we don't stomp on house spiders. They kill other bugs & keep the balance. You guys have midges & the like but you don't get the huge blow flys and little irritating bush flies which arrive every summer. Spiders are a good thing aside of funnel webs, red backs & white tails.
Cheers & God Bless
22lr ~ 22 Hornet ~ 25-20 ~ 303/25 ~ 7mm-08 ~ 303 British ~ 310 Cadet ~ 9.3x62 ~ 450/400 N.E. 3"

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Not a spider fan.... squish squish squish...
Turvey Stalking
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

kombi1976

I'm not a fly or mosquito fan so I cheer selected spiders on & save my own squishing for the flies & mozzies.
Cheers & God Bless

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

There is something inherently alien about Arachnids, I will continue to squish...
Turvey Stalking

Hunterbug

I leave them alone if they're outside. In the house they die. Snakes are another story entirely.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

Niccolo Machiavelli

recoil junky

We have barn spiders (Araneus cavaticus) that get about the size of a quarter (1.25 to 1.5 inches across). They are death to miller moths. Fun to watch!! We let the babies stay in the house in the winter.

Black widders and brown recluses get smished. ALWAYS shake out your boots around here.

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

kombi1976

See, that's always been interesting for me. If I'm camping I shake out my boots but at home the spiders & bugs in general don't normally get in them.
Cheers & God Bless

Hunterbug

Funny that you should say that, RJ. Payton and the wife came up for Hunters elk hunt last fall. In the way home they stopped in Kremling for gas. While the wife was filling up, Payton screamed and jumped out of the car. There was a black widow building a web in the car. It got squished. There was a guy in Boulder last year that died from a black widow bite in the foot. It bit him 19 Times and he didn't see a doctor for several days.

Niccolo Machiavelli

kombi1976

19 times??!!
Did he let it bite him a few times, have a rest and then let it bite him a few more?
I'm not going to say he deserved to die but he would have to have got through the qualifying rounds of the Darwin Award for that.
Cheers & God Bless

gitano

Quote from: HunterbugI'm not an arachnophobe
As my grandmother used to say, HB: "You'll got to hell for lying as soon as you will for stealing." :)

Paul

PS - Didn't see a spider of note in the 13 days we were in Oz.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Hunterbug

Paul, I don't mind the spiders it's snakes that I don't like.

Niccolo Machiavelli

gitano

QuoteI don't mind the spiders

Again I quote my grandmother... :)

I HATE spiders. I USUALLY kill them whenever I see them, with the exception of tarantulas and Argiope sp. especially A. aurantia.

In my very young days, my extended family lived in parts of Oklahoma and Texas where "indoor plumbing" wasn't the norm. While using "the facilities", one of my cousins was bitten on the scrotum by a black widow (Latrodectus sp). It didn't have a long-term effect on him. In fact, later in life he fathered three children. He also had a very HIGH tolerance for spiders. While we were inseparable when we were kids, when it came to spiders and snakes, we were polar opposites. He tolerated a spider web in the face when walking through the woods but would run like a track star when he saw a snake. I on the other hand could go "zero to 60 in 2 seconds" in reverse if I walked into a spider web in the woods, but would stop to catch the snake that had my cousin almost to the next county.

As you know from first-hand observation, I have no compunction about handling wild snakes. :)

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Tags: