Quick and dirty reamer

Started by drinksgin (deceased), May 26, 2013, 01:07:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drinksgin (deceased)

I  have a 7.62x39 barrel blank on the way, I intend to make it a .32-20 barrel and fit it to a Handi, I could not get a .32-20 barrel, all out of stock, .305-.312'
The 7.62x39 is .300-.311"
The . 311 Part is ok, but the reamers available are .303, .304 on the pilot, so they will not go in the barrel on order, so I turned a fast reamer, .298 on the first 3/4" and .305 on the rest, this will prep the barrel so the reamer will go in.
I used oil hardening drill rod, pretty tough stuff but do I need to  harden and anneal it before cutting such light cuts in 4140 barrel steel?
I can, no problem, just do not want to if not necessary.
Joe, Brit, Paul?
NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, GOA, CCRKBA, DEF -CON

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

yup, you need to harden so that it'll cut the 4140, you probably will get away without annealing...
Turvey Stalking
Learn from the Limeys or the Canucks, or the Aussies, or the Kiwis, or the...
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

gitano

I'd agree with j0e_bl0ggs here even though my experience is paltry at best. What there is of it suggests that for CUTTING tools, hardening is almost mandatory.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

drinksgin (deceased)

Got out to the shop for a couple of hours today, finished turning down the barrel for the Handi action and tried the preping reamer, did just fine, I even did it in the lathe rather than by hand as I normally do, cut fast and clean.
Now on to the rest of this many faceted project.
NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, GOA, CCRKBA, DEF -CON

gitano

Be nicer than necessary.

Tags: