Sambar deer hunting - an overview

Started by kombi1976, April 20, 2013, 08:03:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kombi1976

I started this thread so JaDub would have an idea what we're going on about when we talk about sambar deer. Sambar are originally an Indian species which were introduced to Australia roughly in the 1880s to 1890s for the local gentry to hunt. They're a large deer, happiest in heavy cover and hilly country and they're about the same size as an elk or wapiti. Their antlers, however, are not nearly as big or impressive as these other deer so the goal for sambar hunters is to nail a big stag that has a big rack, because to have it on a sambar means it really is massive for the species. Shooting distances rarely are longer than 150yds and most are much shorter, varying between as little as 20yds (if you're really quiet and stalk close, or very quick when you stumble on them) out to ~100yds (taken from cover when a deer wanders through). Mostly you do a thing called the "sambar 2-step" - take to 2 steps, glass all round you for deer, take 2 steps, glass all around for deer, and so on and so forth.

Here's a pic of how they look in the wild:

Note the powerful neck and upswept antlers. The Chinese call them the "four eyed deer" because of the big glands just in front of their eyes which open wide when they are stressed or alert. And here are some trophies.

As you can see the beams are heavy and thick but they lack the multiple tines other species have. I've included this last pic because it shows exactly what sort of country you're most likely to shoot one in.......really steep country.

I hope this gives some idea of what sambar are and how it is to hunt them.
Cheers & God Bless
22lr ~ 22 Hornet ~ 25-20 ~ 303/25 ~ 7mm-08 ~ 303 British ~ 310 Cadet ~ 9.3x62 ~ 450/400 N.E. 3"

JaDub

Looks like great fun Kombi.  A TERRIFIC alternative to paper, I`d say.   And why would you NOT want to go on a Samber hunt ????????

22hornet

"Belief:" faith in something taught, as opposed to "knowledge:" which is awareness borne of experience.

Jorge in Oz

Nice one Andy, hope to get me one of those soon.
"The Germans brought the best hunting rifle to the war. The Americans brought the best target rifle. The British brought the best battle rifle!"

"The early church was married to poverty, prisons and persecutions. Today, the church is married to prosperity, personality, and popularity." ― Leonard Ravenhill

kombi1976

They're definitely a desireable prey. BTW, the current record is around the 32" rack. Tiny for elk or wapiti  but massive for sambar.
Cheers & God Bless
22lr ~ 22 Hornet ~ 25-20 ~ 303/25 ~ 7mm-08 ~ 303 British ~ 310 Cadet ~ 9.3x62 ~ 450/400 N.E. 3"

Tags: