Pressure Test Barrels from A-Square Bankruptcy Auction

Started by gitano, April 03, 2013, 08:51:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gitano

Some may recall that I found out about A-Square Bullets' bankruptcy auction shortly before it was taking place. After figuring out the on-line bid process for the real-time auction (and losing ALL the 8mm barrels I wanted :stare::stare::stare:), I was able to get 10 barrels. Here is the list of what I got and what I paid for them. (Mis-spellings are of the auction house.)

1) Pressure Testing Balistic Barrel Chamberd for .303 British. 24.5" $6

2) Pressure Testing Balistic Barrel Chamberd for .416 Taylor. 24.5" $13.82

3) Krieger Barrels Pressure Testing Balistic Barrel Chamberd for .416 Remington Magnum. 26" $6

4) K&P Pressure Testing Balistic Barrel Chamberd for .416 Hoffman. 24.5" $6

5) Krieger Barrels Pressure Testing Balistic Barrel Chamberd for .416-10 Rigby. 26" $6

6) Krieger Barrels Pressure Testing Balistic Barrel Chamberd for .416 R Chapuis. 26" $6

7) Apex Pressure Testing Balistic Barrel Chamberd for .425 Express. 26" $6

8) Lothar Waltehr Precision Tools Pressure Testing Balistic Barrel Chamberd for .358 Winchester. 24" $10

9) Pressure Testing Balistic Barrel Chamberd for 28-Gauge. 25" $118

10) Lothar Walther Precision Tools Pressure Testing Balistic Barrel Chamberd for 30-40 KRAG. 26" $9

Even with the 28 ga at $118, the average is only $18.68 apiece. :D HOWEVER, there's always "shipping". :( That turned out to be $274 to Hunterbug. (No way I was going to spring for the $500-plus for UPS to Wasilla.) HB graciously agreed to be the 'in between' between the auction house and me. In the end, after the $274 to HB and what looks like will be something like $25-ish apiece to me from HB, they're still going to average somewhere near $75 each. I STILL like that average price.

I have only received the .416R Chapuis so far. (No hurry on my part with regard to getting them.) For those curious among you, here are some pictures of a "pressure test barrel":

The overall look:

The chamber. This is the "underside".

This is the "topside". The hole you see goes right through into the chamber. It is in this hole that the copper fitting is inserted to measureing "CUP" units of pressure. Remember how "new" A-Square is to the firearms industry. NOTE that they were STILL using CUP technology. I rarely say "I told you so", but "I told you so". There is way, WAY, less "engineering" going on than the "priests" would have you believe regarding bullet design and testing.

Here's the muzzle:

Here's the breech:

And here's a picture of the bore. As you know, it's tough to get good pictures, and this one is mediocre at best. But I will tell you that from the perspective of 'looking down the bore', the bore looks very good.

The muzzle is 1.25" in diameter and the breech is 2" in diameter.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

drinksgin (deceased)

If the spelling is an indication, A-Square staff are scarey smart, or not.
I love the .425, superdooper, on steroids .44-40 barrel!
NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, GOA, CCRKBA, DEF -CON

gitano

That was Hoff Auctions that wrote the above text, not A-Square staff. A-Square was LONG gone by the time this equipment was on the auction block. This was a "bank sale".

QuoteI love the .425, superdooper, on steroids .44-40 barrel!
:D

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Tags: