Blued 1911 Knockoff

Started by gitano, February 17, 2013, 08:08:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gitano

As I mentioned in another thread, I agreed to chemically hot blue the 1911 Czech knockoff owned by the son of a friend of mine (Grant, for those that recognize the name). The gun isn't a bad rendition, (and costs a whale of a lot less than a Springfield Armory one), but it had a Parkerized finish that the kid hated. I told him if he got the parkerizing off, I'd 'blue' it for him.

I learned something in the process: Parkerizing is SERIOUSLY difficult to remove. However, between us, we got it off and I was able to get it bued/blacked. I didn't have time to take pictures of the completed gun as he was headed back to Fairbanks  in a rush. However, he sent me a couple of pictures. Here's what it looks like now. (No "before" pics.)

Looks good as far as I am concerned. Since I was the one supervising the original finish removal and polishing, you can bet your bippy that you can't even tell it's not the original polish. The lettering is absolutely just as crisp as it was originally.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Turvey Stalking
Learn from the Limeys or the Canucks, or the Aussies, or the Kiwis, or the...
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

gitano

I found the website for the US dealer.

http://regentarms.com/products/models/r100.html

The marketing pictures make the Parkerized finish look better than it is "in the flesh".

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

davidlt89

looks good, great job!!!! God Bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

Tags: